Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16257

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #150 on: September 07, 2017, 01:54:40 AM
... in all honesty, what does the Ambassador have that the Executive doesn't? ...
Ahh, my friend, you have the question backwards! What does the Executive have that the Ambassador doesn't? The Ambassador has an enviable, slim elegance. A virtual Fred Astair of the SAK world...but in a good way.

OK, that clunky Executive has one extra small flat head driver. Yipee. Last I looked, all the fasteners in my world seem to be Philips', Allen's, or Torx's. ***sigh*** I do long for the bucolic days of straight, flat-head fasteners. But those days are gone and the utility of the small straight bit is...well, when is the last time you really needed that?

And to the contrary, in today's one-size-fits-all, plastic, drab, ho-hum environment, don't you actually need a little of Fred's charm and light step? Yours for the asking....but I'm sure the executive is fine if that's what you've got.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #151 on: September 07, 2017, 01:54:55 AM
I have an Executive that I would trade if anyone wants one. It's in great shape but the scale does have a small bent to it. I didn't know that some smaller scales SAKs can have a tiny gap and tried to use a set of pliers to reattach it back. It is in a like new condition except for the one scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:34:10 AM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #152 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:20 AM
 :like:

I rest my case. 

:whistle:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #153 on: September 07, 2017, 02:22:57 AM
Well, had to buy the son some Oboe reeds online and figured, what the heck, ordered an Ambassador to add to my small collection. I will say I am kind of liking the 74mm size.
Two things I wish it had though, a screw driver tip on the file, and black scales like the executive. My executive is red also, black would have been nice for the variety :)
And yes Nix, I know I'll like it, ha ha after all, it is a SAK  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #154 on: September 07, 2017, 02:30:25 AM
 :tu: :cheers:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #155 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
Its easy to make screwdriver tip to ambassador if needed. But real Ambassadors wont need one anyways.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #156 on: September 07, 2017, 06:54:39 PM
What am I missing here?

The Ambassador seems like a larger Classic. No?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #157 on: September 07, 2017, 07:23:17 PM
What am I missing here?

Doesn't seem to be anything more than a longer Classic, unless I'm missing something.

Yes, so it's 27% better.   >:D

Forget about the Ambassador for a moment. Does the Executive make sense to you?  ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #158 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:24 PM
What am I missing here?

Doesn't seem to be anything more than a longer Classic, unless I'm missing something.

Forget about the Ambassador for a moment. Does the Executive make sense to you?  ???

More sense to me than a bigger Classic :pok: If I wanted a Classic then that is what I would get but I'd rather have the Executive :cheers: Guess we are gping to just havr to agree to disagree on this as neither one of us is likely to change our POV on this matter ;)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #159 on: September 07, 2017, 07:57:54 PM
What am I missing here?

More sense to me than a bigger Classic :pok: If I wanted a Classic then that is what I would get but I'd rather have the Executive :cheers: Guess we are gping to just havr to agree to disagree on this as neither one of us is likely to change our POV on this matter ;)
An ambassador would make more sense if it had the Executive file.  :drool:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:59:03 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #160 on: September 07, 2017, 08:49:55 PM
 :doh:

Well, if a classic makes sense--which it does--then the Ambassador makes sense. But, hey, if you don't like some 74mm scissors and a 74mm blade in a slim and easy to carry package, complete with attractive red scales and a dandy key ring, that's fine by me. There are many models to choose from and we all have our foibles. Most of the world (to my amazement) has passed right by the Ambassador. Ambassador haters have plenty of company.  :P

Let's assume for a moment--and this will take some imagination--that the Ambassador doesn't makes sense, that it is an utterly ridiculous knife, worthy only of our scorn, contempt, and derision, a grotesque re-envisioning of the beloved Classic. (This is harder that I thought.) If that is the case, the Executive doesn't suddenly become a sensible knife. No; if anything, it seems even more schizophrenic and awkward, the mixed up cousin of that monstrosity, the Ambassador. 

Sorry, belittling the Ambassador doesn't suddenly make the Executive make sense.   :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #161 on: September 07, 2017, 08:51:42 PM

Touché.

The file on the Ambassador is a weak spot in the over all design. 

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #162 on: September 07, 2017, 11:10:26 PM

Touché.

But an Executive would make more sense without the bizarre orange peely thingy. Don't get me wrong it fascinates me but ... who decided that was the tool to include  :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #163 on: September 07, 2017, 11:28:19 PM
I'm with ya, Bill.

And the file on the Ambassador is functional. It's just that it could be a wee bit better.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #164 on: September 07, 2017, 11:58:44 PM
 :multi:
I'm with ya, Bill.

And the file on the Ambassador is functional. It's just that it could be a wee bit better.

Better as in being an Exexutive :whistle:

Remember you started the thread by sorta belitteling the Executive :pok:

So turn about is fair play :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #165 on: September 08, 2017, 12:42:23 AM
Some of the exchanges in this thread are really quite chucklesome  :D

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about this now (wondering how best to mod one), and the root problem of the Executive is that it is decidedly unbalanced. For a 5 implement knife, four of them are for cutting (three knife edges and a pair of scissors), and there is only one driver - which is on the end of a cutting edge  :facepalm:

The Ambassador is just missing the SD tip to be a bigger better (for some) Classic. That SD tip makes a lot of difference to the functionality of the tool.

The Executive to my mind, needs a lot more work. I can lose the small blade and the serrated blade, as neither seem to be significantly advantageous in any way over the main blade. Swapping the small blade for a SD file from a Classic covers both the nail file and screwdriver function. The Exec's file is really nice as a file, but it's a one trick pony unless you are going to risk twisting it by using it as a driver (like someone did with mine ::)). So, knife SD file and scissors - that's one layer sorted.  :tu:

As to the second layer, I see two ways forwards. You can either use the current spring thicknesses, and (potentially) add the PTCs precision driver and awl, or go for the same layer thickness as the blade layer, and add those two tools on one side, (just like on the PTC) and add the combo tool (driver/caplifter) on the other side. The downside to this is the driver is about the same width as the SD tip on the file, albeit more durable. Would the Rambler combo tool be too short? Is there anything it could be paired with?

As you can see, I'm not quite "there" yet with my plans, but I am now fairly settled that the Executive really doesn't know what it's trying to be, and it is going to need some serious therapy before it's going to win any pocket time from me  :D As to the Ambassador + I really don't need a bigger Classic. A Classic is a very capable though diminutive tool, and if I'm going to carry something considerably bigger, then I want a considerable improvement in functionality. A Manager achieves that, but an Ambassador does not  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #166 on: September 08, 2017, 12:56:35 AM
 :like:  >:D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #167 on: September 08, 2017, 01:05:48 AM

Remember you started the thread by sorta belitteling the Executive :pok:

Me?   ;)   :cheers:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #168 on: September 08, 2017, 01:24:17 AM
...we all have our foibles. Most of the world (to my amazement) has passed right by the Ambassador. Ambassador haters have plenty of company.  :P
I, personally, don't *hate* the Ambassador. I CAN'T! I've never owned or used one. It's just one of this models that makes me go..."Why?"

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:29:15 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #169 on: September 08, 2017, 01:27:08 AM
I, personally, don't *hate* the Ambassador. I CAN'T! I've never owned or used one. It's just one of this models that makes me go...

"Huh?"

Sure, I get that. So where are you on the Executive?

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #170 on: September 08, 2017, 01:38:14 AM
I, personally, don't *hate* the Ambassador. I CAN'T! I've never owned or used one. It's just one of this models that makes me go...

"Huh?"

Sure, I get that. So where are you on the Executive?
Somewhere between

...and

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #171 on: September 08, 2017, 01:47:06 PM

... I am now fairly settled that the Executive really doesn't know what it's trying to be, and it is going to need some serious therapy before it's going to win ...

Forgive me 50ft but this made me smile because, to be honest, it could be said of quite a few supposed "Executives" and not just this SAK.

What then of the "Ambassador" ? Well if an Ambassador is someone who has full authority to represent government, but arguably with a lot of pomp and ceremony and actually without quite the same true power as their principal, then I'm finding the comparison with the Classic SD entertaining. And to quote you again :

"A Classic is a very capable though diminutive tool, and if I'm going to carry something considerably bigger, then I want a considerable improvement in functionality. "

:cheers: :rofl:

I've still ordered one and I'm happy to give the Ambassador a whizz. But now I'm really smiling !
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:49:39 PM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #172 on: September 08, 2017, 02:32:51 PM

Touché.

But an Executive would make more sense without the bizarre orange peely thingy. Don't get me wrong it fascinates me but ... who decided that was the tool to include  :think:
I think these tools are my confusion with the Executive. I do find it interesting. It's certainly fun to look at and most of it seems to make sense.

But the orange peeler I just don't get. It keeps me asking "why?"
Can't I just use a knife blade? What else can it do? It just looks so bizarre! Although I can see how it would be good for peeling oranges, that's something I don't need. I eat a ketogenic diet so I don't eat any fruit for months on end.

The the...FILE?! What in the world?! Again..."why?"
And looking at the length and width, it doesn't appear very robust. It looks long and fragile to me.

Vic has 3 other file designs that seem functional and well accepted by enthusiasts. The Classic,
the SD,

and the metal file found on the larger tool sets.

So I just don't get what Vic was thinking. The rest of the tool set seems pretty standard. So when I think about it, it's the tools that make the Executive unique and I just don't understand. If an Executive user could please explain WHY these tools are superior to another tool for a task or how they use them and find them to have general utility applications to a variety of tasks, I very willing to hear it out and be persuaded.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:44:40 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #173 on: September 08, 2017, 02:36:59 PM
And three (3) cutting tools?!?!? Why?

Who really needs two (2) tiny knives plus a silly orange peeler? OK, MacGyver, but who else?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:39:17 PM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #174 on: September 08, 2017, 02:39:18 PM
One of the versions of the executive file(can't remember which) is considered the best SAK file, bar the 91mm version. :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #175 on: September 08, 2017, 02:46:38 PM
The thing I find most upsetting is that I keep thinking I may have to get one of these little misfits in order to find out the answer to all these "whys".  :sa:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #176 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:05 PM
One of the versions of the executive file(can't remember which) is considered the best SAK file, bar the 91mm version. :salute:
By who?
I wish they would chime in here and explain it to me. Honestly, I'm open to hearing it. I'm not trying to be an Executive hater. I'm becoming more of a Victorinox fanboy daily! So I'm ready to hear the Executive explained to me.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #177 on: September 08, 2017, 02:54:04 PM
I think you guys are getting caught up on the name, orange peeler and not looking at it as a multi-use tool.

It's a clam-shell opener that leaves your two cutting blades clean and sharp.  It's a chisel ground serrated blade, good for cutting rope, etc.  It's a lite duty pry bar and screwdriver.

As far as the two pen blades, the little is used for utility tasks that can't be done with the multi-tool (orange peeler) and the large blade is saved for food prep.

The Executive is truly the best offering from Victorinox as it relates to size and use.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #178 on: September 08, 2017, 02:54:50 PM
The thing I find most upsetting is that I keep thinking I may have to get one of these little misfits in order to find out the answer to all these "whys".  :sa:
I'm not there yet. I can't spring for it just to toss it in the closet and forget it.

You know, Nix, perhaps we're looking at this from the wrong angle. Perhaps we're trying to find "fix it" uses for it when we should look at it medically. In the other thread where I'm trying to decide which SAK to load into my FAK, perhaps I should look at the Executive tool set with an eye toward medical application.

Imagine for a moment that Victorinox didn't name it the "Executive", but instead named it the "Medic" or the "Nurse" or even the "Veterinarian".
Does it make any more sense now?

(Sigh)...I have to ponder *this* now.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #179 on: September 08, 2017, 02:56:24 PM

It would make more sense if they named it the "Fruitman".

In the other thread where I'm trying to decide which SAK to load into my FAK, perhaps I should look at the Executive tool set with an eye toward medical application.

In which medical scenario do you see a FAK needing two (2) tiny blades and an orange peeler? Heavy calluses? Plantar warts? 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:06:25 PM by Nix »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD