Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What motivates you in your hobby? How do you get the momentum going?

us Offline Zhenchok

I really enjoy accumulating various multitools.  I own a few Leatherman's and recently got the SAK pox.  I don't own a lot but have an endless desire to accumulate as many as I get my hands on, especially if I can get a good deal.  I enjoy learning about them, carrying them, and of course using them when I get the chance.  I understand people that use them for work, collect various makes, years they were made, or replace the occasional lost one. But realistically speaking majority of us only need a few good ones that will last a lifetime.  I get asked a lot by family and friends why do you need more if you already have a couple, don't become a hoarder.  If I get another Spartan, my other Spartan might not be used as much.  How do you chose which one to take on that road trip?  So I'm curious to know what drives you in your hobby?  What gets you excited about getting more? How do you rationalize getting more if you already own a few of the same one?  How do you explain to your spouse you’re about to order another one? When they know you already have the same one :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:11:21 AM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
They're like comic books you can actually save the day with  :climber:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Early on for me it was collecting the retired LMs.  Then it was collecting the Gerber Multipliers older versions.  As time went on my collection grew rather quickly.  I discovered the JPSTs and I began searching them out.  Later it was just trying to get my hands on any LM tool that I didn't have.  There are still several I have not had in hand tho now a days I'm actually not motivated. 

With SAKs it was trying to find the perfect one.  I then began to try to get ones that were neat to me.  I'm still a bit of a reluctant collector.  I still want to try out many SAKs and so when I come across them I buy them.  I am not as much of a back up collector as I once was.  I also have trimmed down what I have by a lot.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Zhenchok

They're like comic books you can actually save the day with  :climber:

Haha, good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Zhenchok

What motivates you in your hobby? How do you get the momentum going?
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:08 AM
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:48:04 AM by Zhenchok »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Close call there buddy :D
Might have kicked some sore toes there...
:cheers:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Steel shine and spring music.

england Offline Kev D

At first it was just having a robust multitool with all the accessories to make it easier in my job. Then buying a few other to change things up. Now it's more like, oooo I haven't got one of those, that'll be nice in the collection and edc rotation.

It's this place I tell ya, so many nice tools to empty your wallet  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I use several of them in rotation when I am not in a challenge :D It is fun to see the different models in person and be able to use them and find which ones I like best :tu: It comes down to personal preference more than anything :cheers: I look for unusual models and more obscure now but still pick one up if a good deal :like: I also get some of the newer models as they comes out, I still haven't gotten a Charge and have really been looking for one of those at a decent (read as cheap :whistle: ) price yet :D I also really don't collect anything else but knives so MT kinda fit right in with that type of collecting and my gadgetyness (is that a word ??? :D ) Plus I like to fix things :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I like being prepared. I like having a tool I can rely on... And even though I use all but the blade rather infrequently it is always very satisfying.
I also like trying out new tools, the only thing I don't like about it is that I have to get rid of it, when I don't like it.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: What motivates you in your hobby? How do you get the momentum going?
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:38:40 PM
First I got what happened to strike my fancy, then I chose a focus for my collection, so now I get what strikes my fancy. Simple!  :tu:

On a more serious note, hoarding isn't having a lot of knives/multitools/etc, hoarding is when the collecting affects your life adversely. As long as you're not taking money away from your mortgage or your children's dinner (or other necessity), or you can't go anywhere without having to visit the knife shops, what's the problem? "Why did you buy a pair of pants in another color? You got one already, don't you?"

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 10:35:29 PM
What motivated me was learning. Learning about the pros and cons of various tools and makers, fining out what was reliable, what worked best for me, and so on. My journey of exploration is now complete, and I have settled on my favourites, and tweaked several of them to make them even better for my needs. I now need to continue optimising my array of Swiss knives, and have several mods planned.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:29:33 PM
Why do I collect Swiss Army knives?

- They are an outstanding example of industrial design.
- They are well made.
- They are reasonably priced (normally).
- There is a tremendous variety of them.
- They are not fragile.
- They don't take up a lot of space.
- What ever their value as a collectable, they will always have utility value as a tool.
- They are NEAT!  (the big one   :D  )

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 02:27:16 AM
The quest for the perfect EDC set. Maximum functionality for the size and weight.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:29 AM
Why do I collect Swiss Army knives?

- They are an outstanding example of industrial design.
- They are well made.
- They are reasonably priced (normally).
- There is a tremendous variety of them.
- They are not fragile.
- They don't take up a lot of space.
- What ever their value as a collectable, they will always have utility value as a tool.
- They are NEAT!  (the big one   :D  )
+1 😊
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:55 AM
I was able to justify it for a while since we needed several for the cars, emergency supplies, etc. That was fun, doing all that shopping. Sadly I've gone a bit overboard so I'm trying to sell my duplicates.

But hobbies are wonderful fun distractions that takes away the mundane out of life. Like what was said earlier, ok as long as not a obsession.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 12:26:42 PM
For me, it was cleaning up my late fathers bedroom and finding around 20 multi-tools. He was a tradesman and always liked having something on his belt. That original group got me to looking online for more information and lo and behold, I found this web site back in 2008. I also found that there weren't that many photos about multi-tools back in those days. I lurked this web site and started to add examples as I  had decided that I was going to start collecting plier based multi-tools in memory of my father. That morphed into collecting multi-tools in order to post photos of them online combining another hobby of mine which was photography. I got more enjoyment contributing photos to this web site that it fueled my collecting habits. It didn't take long before I started thinking about Swiss Army Knives as there was a section of this forum I couldn't really participate in. Before I knew it, I was into collecting those heavily and doing my thing with photos, etc...Originally, I was only going to buy a few SAKs just to see what all the fuss was about, then that bug hit me hard. Funnily enough, I realized I was into collecting them when I bought a Victorinox 125th Anniversary Soldier. Prior to that, it was just a side line and I was most certainly not a collector...yeah right!  :facepalm:

These days, I have slowed down quite a lot. I still add a piece here and there...but there is only so much room, and thankfully, I have reached my um...theoretical limits...so to speak.

Here are the firsts that got me started on this wonderful collecting odyssey. Only the Coleman ProLock and one of the American Campers belonged to me prior to my father's passing.

My Dad loved the Leatherman Pulse...that was his dress multi-tool. He also really liked the Schrade Though Tool as well and would rotate between them whenever he wanted to dress up. The other tools were work ones I think he was rotating or was going to. The Coleman ProLock was something I bought myself because I liked my father's Leatherman Pulse but couldn't afford one as I was going to University. The Coleman looked cool and did hit my price point. The pair of American Campers were bought for when we both would hit the outdoor archery range back in the early to mid 90s. We would both wear one and they came in handy for pulling the invariably difficult deeply impacted target points out of woody vegetation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:42:53 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

:like:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 03:56:41 PM
I don't collect much anymore. I don't have any shelf queens. If it isn't a user, I won't have it..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD