Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your Favorite MT Big Bro Small Bro

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Your Favorite MT Big Bro Small Bro
on: September 28, 2017, 06:05:53 AM
Ok. Being in the LM Surge challenge, I was thinking. The big tools are awesome, but what about the average guy who doesn't need the Earth shattering grip? Doesn't need exchangeable bits? Doesn't need two knife blades? Doesn't need replaceable wire cutters? Doesn't need four different screw drivers? Etc...
What about the basics? Most medium duty MTs have the basics. Some have extras, but I won't go into the little details. So, I have included some of my favorite Big MT bro vs. Small MT bro pairings. I based these off of similar tool layouts or based on series from what I have on hand.
What are some of your favorite big vs. Small MTs?
In my personal collections, I have paired the big brands for the picture.
SOG PowerAssist and the Powerplay.
Victorinox SwissTool and the Spirit.
LM Surge and the Wave.
LM ST300 and the Rebar.
LM SuperTool and PST.
Gerber MP800 and MP700.
Gerber MP600 and MP450.
Gerber Diesel and MP400.
Gerber BullRush and Crucial.

The tools are sorted for aesthetics and not preference in my post here. :)
Lets PLEASE keep this in the pliar based MT realm for simplicity. :angel:
20170927_224427-1.jpeg
* 20170927_224427-1.jpeg (Filesize: 121.79 KB)
20170927_224253-1.jpeg
* 20170927_224253-1.jpeg (Filesize: 86.75 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Your Favorite MT Big Bro Small Bro
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:49:12 AM
Hmmm  :think: I tend to go for one tool or the other, rather than both. The exception to that is probably the MP400 series and MP600 series

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:59:21 AM
Yeah, like boat boy I don't reckon I'd carry two pliers tools.  But maybe a Rebar/Style CS or Crunch/Style PS combo counts. :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:52 AM
Hmmm  :think: I tend to go for one tool or the other, rather than both. The exception to that is probably the MP400 series and MP600 series

I just got the MP400 on Sunday and really like it. It has the old style Spear combo blade and Fiskars scissors as well. Unused. :)
I have had the MP450 for a long time and did not like the Wharncliffe blade much. The file is cool though on the MP450.
For small carry, the MP400 would be ideal when shuffling about town.

Being on this site, it has made me want to make the perfect medium duty Gerber MP4** series. The only mod for me to make the 400 awesome would be to remove the can opener and put an MP series file in. Perhaps get rid of the bottle opener and find a wood saw that would fit at a later time. Maybe a Diesel saw cut down a bit. Projects for another day. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:11:34 AM
Yeah, like boat boy I don't reckon I'd carry two pliers tools.  But maybe a Rebar/Style CS or Crunch/Style PS combo counts. :tu:

I may have worded the post wrong. I didn't mean carrying both the Big and Small at the same time, but the ones you'd like to have an option of choosing from when your day does not require a heavy duty tool. :cheers:

Edit:
Love the Crunch! I wish LM would make a Crunch 2.0 with a few more tools and slightly more efficient deployment. I have a 1999 first year Crunch I found at the store last year and it is fantastic. NIB. :) I have a scratched up crunch as well that I keep in my tool bag. It comes in handy, as the crunch jaws are superior to the same-size mini-vise grip jaws on most objects. The pin-vise notch was a great idea!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:15:22 AM by gerleatherberman »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:16:10 AM

I just got the MP400 on Sunday and really like it. It has the old style Spear combo blade and Fiskars scissors as well. Unused. :)
I have had the MP450 for a long time and did not like the Wharncliffe blade much. The file is cool though on the MP450.

Being on this site, it has made me want to make the perfect medium duty Gerber MP4** series. The only mod for me to make the 400 awesome would be to remove the can opener and put an MP series file in. Perhaps get rid of the bottle opener and find a wood saw that would fit at a later time. Maybe a Diesel saw cut down a bit. Projects for another day. :ahhh

There's only room for two long tools, buddy. Replacing the can opener won't really work. I got a corkscrew version 400, removed the blade and replaced it with the file from the 400. This means my long tools are the file and scissors. I know Magentus is trying to get the saw in there, and he's hoping one from a Suspension might do the trick

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 07:26:12 AM

There's only room for two long tools, buddy. Replacing the can opener won't really work. I got a corkscrew version 400, removed the blade and replaced it with the file from the 400. This means my long tools are the file and scissors. I know Magentus is trying to get the saw in there, and he's hoping one from a Suspension might do the trick
Dangit! I got all excited looking at the handles and didn't think to look at t it with the pliars pulled in. I need a donor 400 now. I'm gonna start looking for a donor.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:56:26 AM
Dual wielding two pliers based MTs? Nah, that's to much pliers for me. I'll take vic fieldmaster as my main tool and LM mini as the offhand one...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 11:38:43 AM
Great pic :like: I tend to lean toward the Rebar and ST300 series usually but as of late I have been carrying the Wave and Surge series more :salute: Love the form factor of both sets  :like: :like:

Also let's not forget about the Pulse and Supertool 200 series :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:08:32 PM

The saw should be on its way soon. It looks short enough to fit in but we'll see how the length will affect the utility.................
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:16:12 PM

The saw should be on its way soon. It looks short enough to fit in but we'll see how the length will affect the utility.................

:popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD