Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Institutute for the Study of Advanced Can Openers

00 Offline SgtTowser

Institutute for the Study of Advanced Can Openers
on: March 10, 2021, 07:44:11 PM
Ok, this thread is henceforth dedicated to the under appreciated edged tool category of can openers.

And I am starting with a Kuhn Rikon (KR) model that pushed out the envelope on can opening.

Unlike most traditionals, this model has only one arm. But it does share the butterfly knob twisting motion of many traditionals. However, it mounts on the top of the top of the can, rather than on the side of the top, like that traditional standard bearer—the venerable Swing Away can opener. When the butter fly knob is turned, the can opener creeps around the can much as a traditional. But instead of piercing the can top, the KR pierces the crimped seam of the can top where it is crimped to the cylindrical wall of the can. This sort of cut enables the can top to be safely removed with bare hand without any prying out of the top or exposure to a sharp, often jagged edge, as with traditionally opened cans. Another advantage is the removed top can be lightly pressed back into place, thus avoiding the need for a plastic lid, or cellophane, for a partially full can. No, the lid will probably not stay on, if you turn the can over. No, you should not store the contents for days after, but I find it a step saver that reduces annoyance. And I dislike getting the cellophane and it clingng up before I get it on the can. I also dislike looking for a plastic lid. This is better. Open can. Remove top. Pour out half. Replace top.

But the major marketing attraction of the KR was its ergonomics. It is easier on the tendons for folks with repetitive stress issues and it can be operated one handed for persons with only one working paw. This is a HUGE DEAL for one-handers! Amputees should have this. But anyone with Broken fingers, a broken wing, or torn ligaments in an elbow? You  needs this sucker, while you are healing and eating beans and weenies for a couple months! I tore the ligaments in my elbow a few years back. I wish I had had this thing. I want one of these in my big out bag too. In chaos, arm and hand injuries, not just smurf, happen. Yes, I could McGuyver a can open one handed in a. Emergency, but in an emergency I would rather be expending energy on shelter, or humping, than improvising opening cans with one good hand.

All in all an ingenious device that also has a cap lifter and a jar lid loosener that are useful. Maybe someone will explain the Hawks beak on the end of the handle.

Other wise, I regret having been a stubborn goat years ago when this product was first introduced by KR. I dismissed it then as an answer to a question I did not have. But I found this in a thrift store for a dollar, and experimented with the vivid recollection of struggling one handed for several months and NOW it makes a lot of sense. A Swing Away maybe faster and easier with two hands, but you can’t reinsert the top and if you break your hand, or tear your elbow ligaments, you will be glad you have the KR.And as I get older and weaker, it’s nice for loosening jar lids without banging them on the counter!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Institutute for the Study of Advanced Can Openers
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:00:17 PM
The only one that will last a lifetime.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Re: Institutute for the Study of Advanced Can Openers
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 09:56:42 PM
The only one that will last a lifetime.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I love that it is made in USA and that it is as effective and durable as an old pickup truck. It looks like my Swing Away.

Questions:

1.) Is “Easy Duz It” descended from “Swing Away” or vice versa? I have always sworn by Swing Aways made in USA, until this admittedly not as bomb proof Kuhn Rikon.

2.) I am not trying to be political (rather economic and moral), but I read recently where many American made products are now being made with American prison slave labor! I am an old fashioned free enterprise capitalist type and try not to buy slave labor made products regardless of country of origin. Thus I am asking if Easy Duz It uses American wage labor, or American prison slave labor? One of the questions I have about this Kuhn-Rikon can opener is it’s labor supply. KR is Swiss or German incorporated I believe. But I’m not sure where they make things. I shop at thrift stores to help employ domestic workers at those stores, rather than buy new products made by slaves at home or abroad. It’s getting trickier and trickier to tell who pays their workers and who doesn’t. So I am asking you about Easy Duz It as part of learning if American prison slave labor is as prevalent as the story suggested.  If you view this question as political, feel free to delete the post. Otherwise let me know if you know the answer.

P.S.: I like Victorinox, ppartly because they are made in Switzerland, where I hope they do not use slave labor these days.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:12:15 PM by SgtTowser »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD