Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact issue

us Offline trichosirius

Compact issue
on: March 27, 2018, 07:25:04 PM
Hey guys, I recently got myself a Compact and have a problem with the combo tool not closing properly. From half-stop position I have to force the tool closed as the spring has no snap.
 From half-stop to open it has good action and is nice and snappy.
  Thinking I may have gotten a rare Vic lemon I sent it in for replacement. The knife I received has the exact same problem, and the usual pivot flush and lube isn't helping.

Is this a quirk with this model or have I been extremely unlucky?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Compact issue
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:48:53 PM
You sure you didn't get the same knife back?

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:50:22 PM
Edit

Sounds like the same knife.  I would only suggest a thorough cleaning. 

Back to Vic customer service, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:51:37 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:53 PM
When you say "force the tool closed," do you mean you have to push it all the way from the half stop to the closed position?
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
You sure you didn't get the same knife back?

Pretty sure, I received the replacement before I even mailed the other one back. Unless there's some timey wimey thing afoot... :D

Also certain its not a counterfeit, as that was my initial thought. I'm not sending it in again, so I'll probably use it for mod fodder.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:55:03 PM
Well that one's new...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:49 PM
Have you tried soaking it? soak, scrub, repeat, oil

I've never run into this problem on a combo tool - definitely on the can opener and small blade
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:02:08 PM
When you say "force the tool closed," do you mean you have to push it all the way from the half stop to the closed position?

From half stop it will pull slightly, then I have to manually push it the rest of the way.

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:08:12 PM
Have you tried soaking it? soak, scrub, repeat, oil

I've never run into this problem on a combo tool - definitely on the can opener and small blade
I have, to no avail. I tried flushing and working the tool open and closed but now it's gotten so stiff it doesn't want to open.
 I'm thinking there may be a burr somewhere in the pivot as this is starting to resemble a problem I had with cheaper slipjoints in the past.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:13:08 PM
That's a bummer.  I know that the thought of sending it back AGAIN is a drag, but I think Vic would want to stand behind their warranty and make it right.  I have a couple knives I've been waiting quite a while to send in for repair...

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:17:44 PM

From half stop it will pull slightly, then I have to manually push it the rest of the way.
So it doesn't snap into place at all, you have to push it all the way down?  I've got some knives where the openers, particularly the can opener, don't "snap" until I've pushed them almost all of the way closed.  I don't have very many knives in my collection with the combo tool, but I don't recall having the tool snap all the way closed from the half stop on any of them.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:32 PM
That's a bummer.  I know that the thought of sending it back AGAIN is a drag, but I think Vic would want to stand behind their warranty and make it right.  I have a couple knives I've been waiting quite a while to send in for repair...
The first time I sent it to the vendor for replacement, if I were to send it in again it would be to Victorinox as I've had good service from them in the past.
 At this point I think I'm just going to avoid their current production knives and stick to older used ones, and probably the 93mm models.
This one will undergo surgery to find out what the issue is.

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:58 PM

So it doesn't snap into place at all, you have to push it all the way down?  I've got some knives where the openers, particularly the can opener, don't "snap" until I've pushed them almost all of the way closed.  I don't have very many knives in my collection with the combo tool, but I don't recall having the tool snap all the way closed from the half stop on any of them.

That's correct. I know what you mean about the can openers, and this is different. It feels the way it would if the pins were piened to tightly. Lots of friction and no snap.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:27 PM
Just checked my Combo tools

My Compact has a snap but not the same as for example a large blade.

My Timekeeper's has NO snap and needs to be pushed back in like you described.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 08:48:10 PM
I have combo tools on Waiter, 2 Walkers, Compact, and Hunter. The Walkers are the most recent (about 2 years ago). All of them are good.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:09 PM
Combo tools can be a bit annoying.  They kind of lean towards the outer scale and put pressure it, in a fudge to try to not scratch the main blade.  This gives them less snap then reg tools.  You can put something in the sak like a soft prying type tool to try to push the liner out a bit, that sometimes works.  Other times Ive solved it by opening the tool full and wiggling with finger pressure back and forth really hard along the axis of the pivot to try to give it a bit better free play. 

Compounding the issue, is that its a thin tool that can actually bend easy. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:55:26 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:04 PM
Combo tools can be a bit annoying.  They kind of lean towards the outer scale and put pressure it, in a fudge to try to not scratch the main blade.  This gives them less snap then reg tools.  You can put something in the sak like a soft prying type tool to try to push the liner out a bit, that sometimes works.  Other times Ive solved it by opening the tool full and wiggling with finger pressure back and forth really hard along the axis of the pivot to try to give it a bit better free play. 

Compounding the issue, is that its a thin tool that can actually bend easy.
I was hoping you'd chime in here with some answers, and that makes perfect sense  :tu:
The action was already bad when I got the knife, but when I replaced the scales I may have bent the liners inward a bit trying to snap them on.

I tried both of those suggestions and got just a little improvement. Still not acceptable, but enough to understand what's going on here. Thanks!

And thanks guys for all the input  :salute:

00 Offline Randy Marsh

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:59 PM
Same thing happen on my alox bantam, mind you it worked ok for 6 months and then it started to acting,
i was barely managed to close combo tool from half stop...gritty action...the knife was nowhere near sand or debris of any kind not to mention since it was my edc knife
it was washed regularly...i tried oiling , wd40 baths overnight, opening tool in hot water...nothing helped so i get rid of it...no more combo tools for me...ever...
Just my experience...

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 10:14:04 PM
I have two Compacts, three  Bantams, a Bartender, a Waiter, two custom Alox Voyageur-Alikes, and three Scientists, all with the Combo Tool and none of them exhibit this behavior.  The newest of these knives are the Compacts, and they're both about 2-3 years old.  I would describe their snap as being slightly less energetic than on the main blades of those respective knives, but still perfectly acceptable. 

I'd send it back until Victorinox gets it right.  Sorry for your bad luck.  :(

Myron
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:15:23 PM by Myron »

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:24 PM
Same thing happen on my alox bantam, mind you it worked ok for 6 months and then it started to acting,
i was barely managed to close combo tool from half stop...gritty action...the knife was nowhere near sand or debris of any kind not to mention since it was my edc knife
it was washed regularly...i tried oiling , wd40 baths overnight, opening tool in hot water...nothing helped so i get rid of it...no more combo tools for me...ever...
Just my experience...
Your description fits mine exactly. I also will be avoiding patterns with the combo tool from now on.

I've owned quite a few SAKs over the years and this is the first issue I've had with any of them. Until now I've never had a functional problem or even a cosmetic one for that matter.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 02:28:12 AM
You guys are breaking my heart!  When I came to this forum I was 100% sure the Compact was THE perfect SAK for me.... and though I have encountered a few bent combo tools in my collecting days, I have never personally had any issues with my Compacts, Waiters, Trail Guides, Bantams...     But then I read threads like this and start thinking about how the Combo tool is out-performed by the standard openers and my whole Swiss Army existence is brought under question....  So I think there has been a sea change in my thinking... and the Climber has won favor as THE perfect SAK for me.... for a minute I thought it was the Climber Small but my love of the hook, ink pen, and lengthier tools has settled the issue....  for now...

Funny thing is, the Climber is like the cheapest SAK out there...  I see them going for less than even Spartans and Tinkers... which is kinda crazy, and good for the wallet.

Anywho, I hope the parts from your Compact find peace and happiness in their new home(s).   :salute:

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 05:06:10 AM

Sounds like the middle peenings are too tight or that layer is peened together without even distribution of compression. Could be that the machine in the factory had a bad day, setting wise. I would try, if you're keeping it, to try to move the layers a bit by gentle force with a flat screwdriver wrapped in a cloth you avoid markings.Just jiggle a bit. Check and oil and try a bit again if not helped.

Napkin math advice though, I'm no expert

~ if you're not good, be creative ~

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 05:09:02 AM
Just switch in a normal bottle opener instead

~ if you're not good, be creative ~

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 08:37:56 AM
My dream SAK still has a combo tool...

00 Offline Randy Marsh

Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 01:13:31 PM
Just switch in a normal bottle opener instead

Cadet is in the pocket  :like:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 01:46:54 PM
You guys are breaking my heart!  When I came to this forum I was 100% sure the Compact was THE perfect SAK for me.... and though I have encountered a few bent combo tools in my collecting days, I have never personally had any issues with my Compacts, Waiters, Trail Guides, Bantams...     But then I read threads like this and start thinking about how the Combo tool is out-performed by the standard openers and my whole Swiss Army existence is brought under question....  So I think there has been a sea change in my thinking... and the Climber has won favor as THE perfect SAK for me.... for a minute I thought it was the Climber Small but my love of the hook, ink pen, and lengthier tools has settled the issue....  for now...

Funny thing is, the Climber is like the cheapest SAK out there...  I see them going for less than even Spartans and Tinkers... which is kinda crazy, and good for the wallet.

Anywho, I hope the parts from your Compact find peace and happiness in their new home(s).   :salute:

This one is coming apart and will be reincarnated as a Climber  :tu:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 01:50:36 PM

I thought that's what I was getting with the Compact. I still think the combo tool is a great alternative to the opener layer, but the execution on my two examples has been a failure.
Still, when this one comes apart its getting new life and hopefully I can get it in working order.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 01:52:04 PM

My nightmare SAK has a combo tool. :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 01:57:14 PM