Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Nylon Leatherman Sheath.... Disappointed!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
New Nylon Leatherman Sheath.... Disappointed!
on: October 14, 2018, 04:56:12 AM
Stopped by the Leatherman Retail Store in Portland Oregon today and picked up the new model of nylon sheath. Medium size. With side pockets.

They also had medium size/no pockets, and large/with pockets. 

First issue is the size, leaves a lot of wiggle room for a Charge TI? I know for sure this is the medium size. (See last photo)

Also not sure if this is common knowledge and I missed it, but the loop on the left (facing the sheath) is much larger than the loop on the right. I'm assuming it's built to hold the bit extender. This means to grab or re-sheath a light you're trying to do it at the furthest point of the sheath. (I carry mine for RH use, about 4 ocklock and vertical)

So far the quality seems fine, just wish I could carry my flashlight on my standard side. Also wish they didn't remove the little "helper tags" on the old nylon sleeves.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: New Nylon Leatherman Sheath.... Disappointed!
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:40:33 AM
Carried again today. The only reason I could see for the height is to accommodate the removable lanyard ring. Which isn't worth it IMO.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:10:28 AM
I ordered the same sheath last week and I like it.

But, I always carry my led light on the side with the large loop (to be honest, I hadn't noticed the other loop being smaller  :-[).

And I also hadn't noticed the extra "wiggle room".  I just had a look and my guess is that the extra room is there for when you carry the bit holder.  Until now I only used the sheath with my Wave +, a bit holder and my Led Lenser P3 and I thought the fit was great.  But after reading your post I took out the bit holder and only then noticed the extra room.

Just put my Charge in the sheath (since a Charge is thicker than a Wave) along with a bit card and it fits like a glove  :D.

So, my guess the extra room is for when you go for the "full option" EDC setup  ;).

Do you carry a bit holder with your Charge?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:50:39 PM

But, I always carry my led light on the side with the large loop (to be honest, I hadn't noticed the other loop being smaller  :-[).

And I also hadn't noticed the extra "wiggle room".  I just had a look and my guess is that the extra room is there for when you carry the bit holder.  Until now I only used the sheath with my Wave +, a bit holder and my Led Lenser P3 and I thought the fit was great.  But after reading your post I took out the bit holder and only then noticed the extra room.

Just put my Charge in the sheath (since a Charge is thicker than a Wave) along with a bit card and it fits like a glove  :D.

So, my guess the extra room is for when you go for the "full option" EDC setup  ;).

I do not, but I might try it just to snug it up.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:07:41 PM

I hope it will fix the wiggle problem, could you post the result here ?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:38:57 AM

I hope it will fix the wiggle problem, could you post the result here ?
It helps little, not enough to carry the bit card IMO.

Theres still this huge gap at the top.

Photos are usual carry, minus the pry and light, lanyard ring, and then bit card.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 02:44:15 AM
I think I got ripped!!

I checked the packaging in the store at least twice, and it IS the package for the medium nylon sheath with pockets.

But my surge fits perfectly. (See photo)

Maybe someone was trying it out in store and somehow something got switched around?

Also, the numbers don't match between sheath and packaging, not sure if that's normal
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:49:43 AM by NKlamerus »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:47:17 AM
There is supposed to be a half inch difference according to the website.

Can someone look inside their sheath and post the part number?

Mine is 946762. Which does show up as medium when searched online.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:55:53 AM
What a run around!! I called the retail store as the offices are closed already. Lady behind the counter mentioned maybe it had been packaged wrong?!

She couldn't confirm that this was a large sheath, but the ending numbers "933" is large and "932" is medium on the plastic packing.

I was told to call their offices tomorrow and ask about a replacement or new purchase.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:57 PM
Alright everybody, check your sheaths!

I was forwarded to customer service, and I was the 3rd person to call with the exact same issue.

They are sending out a replacement now!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 05:42:21 PM
:facepalm:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 04:17:42 AM
Hoping the replacement would come today but it hasn't!!

If it's not here tomorrow I'll call them on Monday I suppose.

I live 2 hours away, mail should take a day at most.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:19 PM
Still ain't here....

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 02:50:03 AM
Well. Well. Well. I stopped by the retail store, turns out the medium sheaths are actually built for the Surge. And the Large sheaths are built for a brick.

I still picked up another new sheath with pockets and a new "premium" sheath.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 05:00:28 AM
From the outside all the sheaths look the same, but between the newest sheath (2nd one in from the right) it's just a lot looser. There's a little wiggle space in the "premium sheath" but the tool doesn't bounce around.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 12:59:19 PM
Well. Well. Well. I stopped by the retail store, turns out the medium sheaths are actually built for the Surge. And the Large sheaths are built for a brick.

Wait, they are saying that the medium nylon sheath (the model with the side pockets) is built for the Surge ... ?  :think:

I bought one of those new style nylon sheaths with side pockets in size medium (product code 934932) and it fits perfect for my Wave +, I tried to put my Surge in it but it would only go in half way ...

Here are some pics of my medium size nylon sheath with my Wave + and one bit card in it:

And here's a pic of the same sheath with my Surge "in" it (he wouldn't go any further in):

The box has produkt code 934932 on it, and the black sticker inside the sheath says "LTG PART 946762 SHEATH MADE IN CHINA", I always remove those black stickers and stick them on the box or blister from the sheath/tool, as you can see in the pics.

This is quite confusing  :shrug:.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 08:00:30 PM
I guess that is 1 plus side to the crappy Velcro, you can snug it up..... for a while at least. An extra hole would be helpful for different size applications, but would look kinda weird. I’ll take that “medium” surge size sheath off your hands NK :pok: :D

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 01:01:29 AM
I'll pull out the sheaths and see what I can find on the stickers, I was really hoping to have more time in the shop to compare size but it was 5:59 and they closed at 6!

Lady behind the counter had no clue

JBW1 I'll definitely be getting rid of one at this point

Still need to contact Leatherman about the missing sheath

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 02:05:27 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at numbers yet, but what if the extra space is to account for the Rebar?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 01:51:26 AM
Even with the bit card, which takes up some of the slack, the sheath is still loose, but better.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 05:10:53 AM

Wait, they are saying that the medium nylon sheath (the model with the side pockets) is built for the Surge ... ?  :think:

I bought one of those new style nylon sheaths with side pockets in size medium (product code 934932) and it fits perfect for my Wave +, I tried to put my Surge in it but it would only go in half way ...

Here are some pics of my medium size nylon sheath with my Wave + and one bit card in it:

(Image removed from quote.)

And here's a pic of the same sheath with my Surge "in" it (he wouldn't go any further in):

The box has produkt code 934932 on it, and the black sticker inside the sheath says "LTG PART 946762 SHEATH MADE IN CHINA", I always remove those black stickers and stick them on the box or blister from the sheath/tool, as you can see in the pics.

This is quite confusing  :shrug:.
My surge in my "medium" sized sheaths. Look how far down it slides, this is with no bit kit, just the extra saw set. Same exact sticker on the sheath and blister pack. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:12:22 AM by NKlamerus »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 05:17:31 AM
Wave on the left/top, surge on the right/bottom

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 10:27:07 PM
Alright I swung by a local knife shop today, they had the new sheaths in. But no pockets.

I bought a medium no pocket and THIS is the perfect fit. Going to call Leatherman this week to figure out why my replacement never showed up!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 10:48:06 PM
I would expect a mix-up like that over here, but not on Leatherman's home soil  :think:.

Anyway, I hope you still get your real medium sized sheath with the side-pockets, because that one is real nice  :tu:.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 12:37:59 AM
I would expect a mix-up like that over here, but not on Leatherman's home soil  :think:.

Anyway, I hope you still get your real medium sized sheath with the side-pockets, because that one is real nice  :tu:.
Yeah and their one and only retail store of all places

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 05:40:42 AM
Sounds like they have some mislabeled packaging   :facepalm:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 02:21:51 AM
Look what finally came in!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 05:29:12 AM
Differences are very subtle. Medium on the left/top and large on the right/bottom.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 09:18:59 AM
Um yes. One can see why the packers could get confused. :think:
Vic solved this problem long ago with different colours of trim (see Swisstool vs Spirit nylon sheaths). Maybe a tip for LM? It could be as simple as a reversed colour scheme on the sewed-on logo...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:00 PM
Or an M or L sticker. The Quality Control guys could slap one on somewhere when.. or if.. they check them out??
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:31:46 PM by JBW1 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD