Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Edc normal oho knife with a sak? 450

Newbie Posts: 49
Edc normal oho knife with a sak?
« on: November 08, 2018, 01:40:43 AM »
I've had my eye on this nice boker one hand assist knife. On the edc boards people like to carry a normal knife along with a leatherman or some multitool. With your experience, does the swiss army knife make carrying a regular blade redundant? I'm fleshing out my edc systems and I'm wondering whether or not to get this boker. Thanks!

Full Member Posts: 212
Re: Edc normal oho knife with a sak?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 01:46:26 AM »
I've had my eye on this nice boker one hand assist knife. On the edc boards people like to carry a normal knife along with a leatherman or some multitool. With your experience, does the swiss army knife make carrying a regular blade redundant? I'm fleshing out my edc systems and I'm wondering whether or not to get this boker. Thanks!

I don't believe that carrying a 'regular folding knife' along with the SAK is redundant. There are a lot of things that a good folding knife (most today are locking blades) can do easier or safer than what you can with SAK. JMTC

The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?
No Life Club Posts: 1,147 Ride the Music
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:47:07 AM »
My OHOs are also SAKs
(yes I know there are a few 2HO in the photo, but all have locking blades)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:48:24 AM by AndyTiedye »

R
Hero Member Posts: 628
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:18:05 AM »
Yes there is a slight redundancy.  But this is MTO.  Plenty of members here carry 2 or more knives/SAK/MT on them every day.
So what?  If you want that knife, go ahead and buy it.  And pair it with whatever you want.

- Steve
No Life Club Posts: 2,796
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:25 AM »
My daily carry is usually a SAK and pliers based tool and a single blade knife.  Reason being the single blade knife takes most of the abuse as far as cutting goes and I save the blades in the SAK for more delicate or precise work and it is easier than getting a blade open out of the pliers based tool.  Some people even forego the standard single blade knife for a small box cutter such as the Gerber EAB because with their replaceable blades they are always going to be sharp. :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:49:32 AM by Alan K. »
Full Member Posts: 212
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »
My OHOs are also SAKs
(yes I know there are a few 2HO in the photo, but all have locking blades)(Image removed from quote.)

:iagree: :like: I stand corrected. You can be redundant and still carry only SAKs. Sorry my brain wasn't even thinking about those newer SAKs when I responded. I was thinking along the lines of a SwissChamp or Hiker, as those are the ones I own. But, like others have mentioned, if you like the combinations carry everything you want.

The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?
Full Member Posts: 176
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
Does it have to have OHO? I find two hand opening perfectly adequate 99.99% of the time. If you can really only use one hand most of the time, maybe a fixed blade is better. There's no pivot to get gunged up and stiff either.

OHO is a comparatively recent feature - certainly in SAKs. One wonders how people coped in the days of THO only. :think:

Between this and that.
Hero Member Posts: 863
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
My OHOs are also SAKs
(yes I know there are a few 2HO in the photo, but all have locking blades)(Image removed from quote.)

What's the difference between those 2 RescueTools? I thought that was a one-version product  :think:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,620
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »
Carrying a secondary knife is done by many who also carry a SAK.  While redundant there is a place for a dedicated blade IMO.  If you are using your knife a lot a SAK blade wont cut it ( literally ) as the soft steel will dull faster than a blade with higher end steel.  Maybe you need or want more blade?  Maybe you want easier deployment?  For everyday things a SAK is perfect.       

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 1,147 Ride the Music
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 04:11:14 PM »

My OHOs are also SAKs

What's the difference between those 2 RescueTools? I thought that was a one-version product  :think:

Old and new thumb hole.  New one is round.

R
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,203 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
Whatever works for you. If you can accomplish everything you need to do with a SAK, fine. If you need a OHO knife some times, fine. If you don't need a OHO knife but want to carry one, fine.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,904 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
If I'm carrying a OHO folder, I'll often have a Swiss knife or traditional pocket knife too, which saves me opening the larger knife in front of people who may be concerned about my intentions. A few days ago, I used a Swiss knife in the town centre, and nobody batted an eyelid. A modern folder in the same setting may have attracted unwanted attention.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
No Life Club Posts: 1,973
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 01:06:14 AM »
I always carry a Spyderco Ladybug Hawkbill with my SAK, and it shares a watch pocket with a small SAK (74mm and below) or a small gentleman's type folder, those of course I have if I need to cut something in the open. Cuts stuff knives twice it size often struggle with, and good for self defense in that it's got that hawkbill blade, is serrated, and OHO. 
No Life Club Posts: 1,242
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »
I've yet to find a cutting task my SAK couldn't handle. I work in small electronics R&D lab in a semi urbanised forest (I am quite serious, there is forest all over the place in my country   :D) so I never had to skin a mammoth or something similar but still. Sure, there are things that could be done faster with a locking folder but the bigger footprint of such knife is not worth it if your primary duty in life is not cutting stuff.  :D

There is no magic therefore gadgets!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,203 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
I have a SAK as part of my base EDC (usually Midnite Manager, Executive/Director). Some times I carry a larger model (Sportsman, Climber, Compact, Spartan). When I do, I don't awlways carry another knife.

If I just have the smaller SAKs, I tend to carry another larger blade knife, for food prep. These tend to be more traditional, only occasionaly do I carry a OHO.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 3,125
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »
In addition to a SAK, I like to carry a Spyderco, Benchmade or whatever for fast deployment.  There might be some emergency to deal with - like me having to open a letter or package of bacon.

Full Member Posts: 197 Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 01:05:44 AM »
Not weird at all. Sometimes you've got one hand buried deep into a project, or holding something in place, and being able to flick open a "normal" knife is just plain handy.

"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."
Newbie Posts: 14
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 07:17:20 AM »
Normally I'm complimenting the SAK of the day with one of my old first generation Spyperco Enduras.  It's good for more serious tasks or just when I don't have two hands free.  I'll carry the serrated one if the day might need it.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $175.00
PayPal Fees: $10.57
Net Balance: $164.43
Below Goal: $110.57
Site Currency: USD
60% 
November Donations

Community Links