Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OK flashlight gurus...

nate j · 15 · 1094

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
OK flashlight gurus...
on: June 04, 2019, 04:02:40 AM
...I'm looking for a flashlight to use when I have to inspect overhead power lines after dark.  I'm looking for something with excellent light output and throw, but without too narrow a beam.  I also need run time that is at least OK.  The light needs to be tough enough to withstand the usual drops and knocks, as well as impervious to rain and other foul weather.  Size and weight aren't too important, as I won't be EDCing the light; just pulling it out of the truck when I need it.

It would be a bonus if the light (assuming rechargeable) could be charged without having to remove the battery.  It would also be a bonus if the light could run on non-rechargeable batteries, at least as a backup.

I'm leaning toward the Fenix TK65R, but definitely interested in feedback on that and or other suggestions.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: OK flashlight gurus...
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:21:19 AM
I do not have any experience with that specific light, but do have experience with several of the smaller Fenix lights.  They are good quality lights that I would trust.

Another brand that I have experience with and would look into is EagleTac. The EAGTAC G3L looks like it might fit your desires.

If you do not find something exactly like you are looking for, you may want to send Vihn at SkyLumens an email.  He sells and modifies various different flashlights for a reasonable costs. 

us Offline willc

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 06:13:15 AM
Take a look at the Astrolux FT 03.
I just got one and the throw is very good, it can take 18650 and 26650 , has charge port, and it cost me under 35 bucks.

Pretty sure it has a decent water rating and it feels pretty sturdy.
It is larger than I usually carry but I have been using it on walks at night and it really is nice.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:26:28 AM
What distance from the ground are the lines?

it Offline Stefano

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:15:23 PM
A beautiful flashlight suitable for your purpose could be the Acebeam L30
it has USB charging and is provided with a 21700 battery
It is available in the 6000 K or 5000 K version - it could be an excellent choice, it has 35000 candles, the XHP70 led ensures a wide view.
Otherwise look at the Fenix lights.
I think there are also new TK35 models with USB charging

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 05:31:25 PM
I think TK65R is a pretty solid contender, my only question is it using a custom/specialized battery only available from Fenix, so if the battery ever dies in next few years, it may be difficult to get a new one to replace it.

As comparison, I'd suggest to take a look at TK47UE, similar lumens and reflector, half runtime at max, but using very popular found 18650.  With the 40-50 price difference, it should be enough to get a good 18650/multi cell smart charger which could also works for other lights.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 05:54:11 PM
BLF A6 SE. Dirt cheap, very powerful, reliable and tough.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 06:29:12 PM
There are a few of the so called Beer/Soda Can throwers out.  Thorfire BLF Q8 also comes to mind.  I have no actual use of this light but members of Budget Light Forum have been working with Thorfire on this for over a year from what I read. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 08:43:29 AM
Fenix lights are nice, but I think it's better not to have a proprietary battery like Comis said. Also if it's low on charge you will have to wait around for it to charge so you can use it, not very handy if it's a work light. You can get a Fenix PD35 or a Nitecore P12, a charger and 2 batteries for less then half the cost, but I don't know what distance your'e trying to hit, 1000 lumens is the max and same as the high level of the TK which you would probably use most of the time, not sure if you would need that monster output unless you are talking about those massively tall posts. They do make great products and I have owned a bunch and have been very reliable.

I do get a feeling of what you are going for tho, having it in it's charging base, grabbing it and going to work, but if battery dies it would be better to have a spare, so maybe get more then 1 light to have a backup on you. I have a few lights that can charge in light with USB, but I never use that option and always charge in a separate charger, but it's nice to have that flexibility.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 02:52:45 AM
Thanks all.  Definitely some interesting suggestions and things to think about.   :hatsoff:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 02:56:08 AM
Nate this lightning deal is live now, comes with a battery, decent for $22, 1200 lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779M5VHJ/ref=gbps_tit_s-4_312f_09546a6a?smid=A3U237F2XF6BDT&pf_rd_p=f301321d-61e9-4073-b454-2e3f198d312f&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_watching&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=S1G2AQ8TYFJKTNA5RNBD&th=1

So if you get the Fenix, can have a decent backup, that will fit in your pocket and can charge in the light

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 03:33:49 AM
ehhh, watching some reviews, I don't like how it has the sos in the main cycle, another guy reports usb cover not great and finish very smooth so may be slippery, maybe keep looking, I was considering this one but not sure, it's cheap enough tho

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 03:20:17 AM
Thanks BB.

I've pre-ordered a Fenix E30R.  It is a bit smaller than what I thought I would end up with, but checks almost all the boxes and looks like it will punch well above its weight.  When it arrives, we shall see...

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 03:43:47 AM
That looks like a nice light, enjoy it  :cheers:

it Offline Stefano

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 08:12:08 PM
A Fenix light is always a good buy  :tu:
I hope the throw is sufficient for your purpose, it has only 10300 cd but if the electric line is not too high this value is fine.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%