Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free T4 knife oriented multitool

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Leatherman Free T4 knife oriented multitool
on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:58 PM
I received a Leatherman Free T4 knife/multitool today.   It has a file which is single cut on one side and double cut on the other.  The single cut file feels about the same as the one on my Rebar, but the double cut side feels sharper than that of the Rebar.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Leatherman Free T4 knife oriented multitool
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:04:16 PM
 :like:

Same one that is on the P2/P4. Short file, but extremely well made. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:14:04 PM
I would love to see more pics of it  :pok:

;)

I like what I see so far, this might get a top spot on my "wanted tools" list   :D.

I've read that it might cost around 80 Euro over here, but the Crater and Expanse knives were also not the cheapest knives over here, and I love those.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:32:27 AM
Need more pics!

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:23 AM
 :drool:

Waiting on mine to arrive, might be here Saturday if the postal gods are on my side.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 01:07:51 AM

IPT (Initial Powernoodle Thoughts):

- solid, well-made, good quality MT
- I prefer the "thumb hole" deployment of the main blade over the "thumb roll?" deployment of the other tools.  Not a huge fan of the thumb roll thing, but I knew what I was buying.
- its a little thick to use with the pocket clip, but that's not a deal breaker.  The deep carry clip is nice.
- it has the basic tool set that I like.  I don't really need pliers or a cork screw
- scissors are of good quality, but nothing comes close to Victorinox
- main blade locks up rock solid, and is very sharp.
- took me a while to find the tweezer, but its on top near the file
- the file is short but very well machined; its a real file

With the caveat that I have not carried or used the T4 yet - and I really hate when Youtube guys do that - my initial impression is that this is well-made and useful MT with the right tool set.  Priced at $59.95 shipped on Amazon Prime, I think it is reasonably priced.  Much better value for the money than the P4.  I could see the T4 being the only knife/MT/SAK that you carry.  I'll be carrying this one exclusively until the totally awesome Leatherman Leap Challenge begins on July 1.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 01:25:40 AM
Yes, the T4 is "chunky" when carried in a jeans pocket using the pocket clip.  The screws holding the clip on my T4 can interfere when clipping the tool onto thick material.

I am left-handed so one hand opening of the knife with the left hand isn't much of an option.  I could not open the knife with my right hand until I applied light sewing machine oil to the blade hinge (and other implements, too).  The extra lubrication makes all the implements open more easily.

Limited testing shows the Phillips and slotted screwdrivers worked well when driving wood screws into a pine 2x4.

The scissors cuts paper well.  It cuts paracord, too, but not as well as a SAK scissors.

Overall, the T4 is solidly built and I've not detected any defects.

Check out diezelle57's lengthy T4 video on Youtube:
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:37:03 AM
Is the weight correct? 6ish oz? I was really surprised to find it was so heavy. Only 1 oz less than P2.

Never mind 122grams. Or 4.3 oz

Way way more 3xcited about it now. That must have been weight with packaging.
 Also...I am imagining this tool at only $49.99 ( a likely eventual price and it's way way way worth that.

Holy crap, can u imagine this thing with the exchanger thats being developed here on mt.org?  :gimme: :gimme: 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:53:57 AM by Happy Gilmore »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 01:53:13 AM
4 3/8 ounces, or 125 grams on the Powernoodle Industrial Scale.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 01:55:05 AM
4 3/8 ounces, or 125 grams on the Powernoodle Industrial Scale.

Do I dare to hope for a flat grind on the blade?? Not deal breaker but would be nice.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:34 AM
Thanks for the great review and pics!
It does look like a very well made MT, and one I might have to get as I'm just not a fan of carrying large, heavy pliers.
Though honestly, how does it measure up to a SAK with similar tools? Would you prefer one over the other?
Currently I've been carrying two Leathermans: a Skeletool KB, (super light knife with a very sharp blade) and a squirt PS4. Both of those are still lighter but ... I have to fish around in my pocket to retrieve the one I want.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 02:03:10 AM
Yeah, just for reference, the Skeletool KB is 1.3 oz (per Leatherman website), and the Squirt PS4 is 2 oz, so that combination is a whole ounce lighter. I will say I also like the scissors on the Squirt, I mean they do fine for occasional busted fingernail etc though I seldom if ever use the other tools. So, looks like for 1 oz more I could get some more substantial tools and just a single tool, hmmmm.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 02:59:27 AM
Do I dare to hope for a flat grind on the blade?? Not deal breaker but would be nice.

Its a hollow grind.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 03:13:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to do the initial thoughts, gentlemen! :salute:

Look like I need to order a T4 this weekend. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:13 AM
One blade, but it's not a combo blade! :drool:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:40 AM
big hunking plastic inserts seems like a waste of space, sure they are serving some purpose but this thing very thick for the amount of tools.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 03:35:16 AM
big hunking plastic inserts seems like a waste of space, sure they are serving some purpose

They just prevent tools from the opposite side from being seen or accessed.  So that you can't touch the sharpened edge of the closed blade, for example.  Sort of.  I think.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 03:38:03 AM
Edit: Didn't realize PN had replied before me. Sorry. :ahhh
Insert is a cover for the other side's tool pivot. :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:24:19 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 03:46:20 AM
Didn't know Darth Vader was a Leatherman Fan

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 06:32:50 AM
This looks very cool.   8)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 01:26:50 PM
I would love to see more pics of it  :pok:

;)

I like what I see so far, this might get a top spot on my "wanted tools" list   :D.

I've read that it might cost around 80 Euro over here, but the Crater and Expanse knives were also not the cheapest knives over here, and I love those.

I've just found the T4 for £74.95 GBP which is, $83.75 EU or $95.25 USD. They are shown as in stock, with free delivery (presumably UK only) at

https://www.cyclaireshop.co.uk/swiss-army-knives/leatherman-free-t4-multi-tool?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1pa81cCJ4wIVxrTtCh1SVQRUEAYYASABEgL0hfD_BwE

However, on other websites they are shown at £89.95 which is, $100.46 EU or $114.26 USD but are on back-order? We really do get ripped off by LM here  >:(

The link I posted (if it works) also seems to offer the P2/4 at about £20 GBP cheaper than elsewhere  :multi:

Might be worth a look if you're UK based (or here on holiday)  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 02:58:04 PM
Pocket clip
One hand opening blade
Locking tools
No nail Nick's
Full metal construction

These are just the biggest differences between it and SAK.

Oh and also in line awl, in line Philips, which is kind of a big deal.

closest thing I can think of:

the tools on the T4 are set up kind of like a keybar. By having tools on the opposite side, this make its thicker in the plane perpendicular to the clip. The tool is much flatter in the pocket. Well done Leatherman! I always thought a bigger Sak would look awesome if they made it twice as thick by putting tools on opposite sides (like a manager) for bigger tools. It would make them both more ergonomic and easier to pocket carry.

Also just realized...no combo blade or can opener! WELL DONE LEATHERMAN!  :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Edit:
Last note, I feel like more than usual...the $20 price difference is definitely justified over the T2, a second full locking mechanism, 2 extra tools and different frame shape. Also, fitting it all in that size is actually quite difficult. I feel like it might also be one of the most secure locking mechanisms in any multitool of this size. Yes the P series has it too and the statement applies to those tools as well.

Cheers,
H.G.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:17:47 PM by Happy Gilmore »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 05:30:24 PM
The screws holding the clip on my T4 can interfere when clipping the tool onto thick material.

Yeah, I am definitely agreeing with this.  They should be inset into the clip so there is nothing grabbing the pant material.  Those screws will eat your pocket over time. 

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 05:56:31 PM
I am finding it better to carry the T4 in the bottom of the pocket rather than clipped on the pocket.  It is pretty much the same same size as an Explorer, though thinner and 0.5 ounce heavier.  So about the same really.  It makes it easier to get the hand in the pocket, and eliminates the minor issue of the clip screws ripping across your pant.

But in the end, I will always return to my true love - the Explorer Plus.  It lacks the T4's file, pocket clip and locking tools, but in all other respects packs more utility into the same form factor.  The T4 is superior if you employ the file regularly, like the locking tools (which is no small benefit) or the clip.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:05:51 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 06:02:58 PM
I am finding it better to carry the T4 in the bottom of the pocket rather than clipped on the pocket.  It is pretty much the same same size as an Explorer, though thinner and 0.5 ounce heavier.  So about the same really.  It makes it easier to get the hand in the pocket, and eliminates the minor issue of the clip screws ripping across your pant.

But in the end, I will always return to my true love - the Explorer Plus.  It lacks the T4's file, pocket clip and locking tools, but in all other respects packs more utility into the same form factor.

(Image removed from quote.)

A little confused, what do you mean by more utility?

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 06:14:07 PM
A little confused, what do you mean by more utility?

What I mean by that is that the Explorer Plus has "better" scissors (though that is subjective), magnifier, extra blade, pen, pin, toothpick, eyeglass driver, hook and awl - in about the same size and form factor of the T4.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 06:24:06 PM
What I mean by that is that the Explorer Plus has "better" scissors (though that is subjective), magnifier, extra blade, pen, pin, toothpick, eyeglass driver, hook and awl - in about the same size and form factor of the T4.

Sounds like both have their merits, but mostly I don't see them as being comparable in toolset.

One handed opening and locking make using these tools quite a bit safer. I've got some really bad cuts from a Vic awl because of the T orientation.  Good info on the clip though.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 06:26:50 PM
Wowza. I'm looking forward to the T4 big time! :like:

Same size as the explorer is impressive. I had assumed it was notably larger. The Explorer is a fairly small SAK(for the non-minimal crowd), so that is a good thing. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 07:13:03 PM
Wowza. I'm looking forward to the T4 big time! :like:

Same size as the explorer is impressive. I had assumed it was notably larger. The Explorer is a fairly small SAK(for the non-minimal crowd), so that is a good thing. :)

Is the flat driver more than 2x as thick as the Vic one? That's a pry bar imo, vn vn. And I was worried it would be too big as well. More excited now.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 07:24:12 PM
Is the flat driver more than 2x as thick as the Vic one? That's a pry bar imo, vn vn. And I was worried it would be too big as well. More excited now.
I am not sure, without checking with calipers this evening, if it is that much thicker, but I pry with the big flat on the P4 often and it works like a charm.
The only thing I dislike about the big flat/pry tool on the Free series is the package opener grind. It interferes with using the flat driver on quite large screws(like the ones in antique furniture). The sharp opener grind gets messed up when using it as a driver on big screws and has to be touched up with a pocket stone. I'd prefer the tip to be for driving and prying only.
Probably note a common preference though, since most people don't deal with large antique wood screws on a daily basis. :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%