Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just picked up a Buck 112!

Offline mikekoz

on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:30 PM
 :climber:  I always wanted one, and got one at a pawn shop for $30.00 including the sheath\holster. The knife is in good shape, has a few marks on it, and needs sharpening, but am thrilled with it overall. I am at work now, and will post pics this eve!!   :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Just picked up a Buck 112!
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:34:26 PM
Fantastic!   :ahhh

The 112 is a super little knife!   :like:

And--best of awl--you are now eligible for the Ranger Challenge in January!   :pok:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:46:14 PM
 Nice pick-up.  It is wonderful to get something you always wanted

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:44:04 PM
:climber:  I always wanted one, and got one at a pawn shop for $30.00 including the sheath\holster. The knife is in good shape, has a few marks on it, and needs sharpening, but am thrilled with it overall. I am at work now, and will post pics this eve!!   :cheers:

Congrats!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 10:57:45 PM
Congratulations on your purchase!
Hope to see you in the Ranger Challenge!  :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 11:34:23 PM
 :like:

Must resist  :facepalm:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 11:52:04 PM
Congrats !    :popcorn:

us Offline David

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 01:26:26 AM
 :woohoo:     :tu:     :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:32:47 AM
OK! Here it is in all of its glory!

It is pretty clean, but I am going to tweak it and put a bit of knife oil in it. I actually have some Buck brand oil, so will use that. It also needs sharpening. Right now, it would not cut a fart!  :rofl: One more question. The holster is in good shape, just a little dirty. What is the best way of cleaning these things?? Thanks everybody for all of your compliments on my new toy!!  >:D

:edit to remove advertising link
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:16:08 PM by SteveC »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 02:22:32 AM
Thats a nice 1994 model. So right at 25 years old.  :cheers:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 05:35:03 AM
I like those sheaths.They're really durable.You can toss it in the washing machine with a load of laundry.You can also wash it by hand with some dish detergent and a good scrub brush.

That may have a nickel silver frame,but it's difficult to determine from your picture.They were being made during that year.If it is N/S,then it's certainly worth more than you paid.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 07:11:49 AM
Congrats.  Thats a really nice 112 you got.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline mikekoz

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:09 AM
  Thanks everybody! I am trying to sharpen the blade, but seem to be getting nowhere. The edge is still really dull. I am using a Smith's sharpener and have included a photo of it. This sharpener has worked great for every knife I own, except this one, and an old Schrade 110 look a like I have. No matter how many times I pass it through the sharpener, I get nowhere. I have also included a close up shot of the blade. I am not an expert at sharpening knives, and this is the only type of sharpener I have that I can recall. What am I doing wrong??

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 01:42:45 PM
Hard to tell from the photo but looks like the edge may not have got to the apex yet. 
Nice knife all the same.
Andrew

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:44 PM
It appears the grind angle is about 45 degrees and your sharp is a 60.

May need to find a specialize sharpening service or even send to Buck for its service. 

The grind just does not look correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline mikekoz

Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 03:00:48 PM
It appears the grind angle is about 45 degrees and your sharp is a 60.

May need to find a specialize sharpening service or even send to Buck for its service. 

The grind just does not look correct.

Thanks! How would it have got that way? I am sure Buck would charge $$$ for me sending it to them since I bought it used and it is 25 years old. That would cost more money then  the knife is worth.  ???  I have a strange feeling I threw away $30.00!   :(

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 03:17:58 PM
I'm not a fan of the pull thru sharpeners.  What I do is check for chips or deformations along the edge.  From the pictures it looks as tho the edge near the tang is pretty buggered up ( chips ).  You can run your finger nail ( gently ) along the entire edge.  If you feel something mark it with a sharpie.  If you have a magnifying glass take a look at the edge.  You'll need to address this by removing material both sides to get those chips out.  My 110 also had chips but I chose to not remove them entirely as I was able to get the edge very sharp around them.  I didn't want to remove too much steel.  I used my Lansky.   

I always use a sharpie to mark where I expect the sharpener to hit.  It really help guide me to removing only the material I want and need to get the desired bevel degree.  Depending on the method used prior to your ownership the knife may have a few bevels which don't meet at the apex.  The sharpener you are using may be only hitting the shoulder of one of those bevels.

They may have used a steep sharpening degree.  I went with 17 degree per side.  I'd suggest a guided system or stone to sharpen your 112. 

I'd be happy to do it for you if you want to PM me we call talk about exactly your expectations.  You pay only shipping to and from me  :tu:

Buck can also take care of it for you.  They do spa service and I don't believe they charge. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 04:22:27 PM
Buck has a good warranty program, and they resharpen (no cost). They don't care how you got your Buck--it's a "Forever Warranty". Might be the best warranty in the industry.

I'd send it in to Danny (The Warranty Dept) and he'll get it back to awesome.  :tu:  Danny has been working on Bucks for 43 years; he knows what he's doing.  :D

I agree with Aloha that pull through sharpeners are very limited in what they can do since they work at a set angle. The carbide sharpeners often tear up a blade's edge since they are so hard and obtuse. I'd avoid using that. 

A guided sharpening system is a great place to start. I think Buck states that they sharpened their edges at 13-16º.  My Bucks seem to be more like 20º, but that's just my sense. I sharpen primarily freehand and just goes with whatever feels right. But 'paint' the edge of your knife with a Sharpie and that will show you where the sharpener is doing it's work. They you can adjust as needed.  :tu:

Seriously, call Buck.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 04:27:09 PM
I'm not a fan of the pull thru sharpeners.  What I do is check for chips or deformations along the edge.  From the pictures it looks as tho the edge near the tang is pretty buggered up ( chips ).  You can run your finger nail ( gently ) along the entire edge.  If you feel something mark it with a sharpie.  If you have a magnifying glass take a look at the edge.  You'll need to address this by removing material both sides to get those chips out.  My 110 also had chips but I chose to not remove them entirely as I was able to get the edge very sharp around them.  I didn't want to remove too much steel.  I used my Lansky.   

I always use a sharpie to mark where I expect the sharpener to hit.  It really help guide me to removing only the material I want and need to get the desired bevel degree.  Depending on the method used prior to your ownership the knife may have a few bevels which don't meet at the apex.  The sharpener you are using may be only hitting the shoulder of one of those bevels.

They may have used a steep sharpening degree.  I went with 17 degree per side.  I'd suggest a guided system or stone to sharpen your 112. 

I'd be happy to do it for you if you want to PM me we call talk about exactly your expectations.  You pay only shipping to and from me  :tu:

Buck can also take care of it for you.  They do spa service and I don't believe they charge. 

I appreciate the offer and the info, but this may become a learning experience for me! I may try the sharpener that I posted a link to earlier. It looks much better than what I have now. I will also try your trick with the Sharpie. The area near the tang does have an edge, probably caused by the chips, but the rest of it is really dull. I can move my fingers over it with no chance of it cutting me. It is literally as dull as a butter knife! If I can fix this, I can also fix my old Schrade! Thanks again!!  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 04:36:38 PM
If I can fix this, I can also fix my old Schrade! Thanks again!!  :salute:

You can!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 04:51:12 PM
 YOU  DID NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.  Its a GREAT knife that needs a little tlc.  Just be patient and keep rechecking as you go.  You got it and we are here to help. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 05:03:27 PM
 :iagree: wholeheartedly!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 05:07:52 PM
Yup - that is a beautiful 112  :cheers: I'm sure some practise you'll get it sharp again  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 11:57:16 PM
What do you all think of this sharpener??

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSCMB-Consistent-Long-Lasting/dp/B01J553RHS/ref=sr_1_45?keywords=smiths+knife+sharpener&qid=1565871410&s=gateway&sr=8-45
I am sorry, I missed your question concerning a version on the Work Sharp. 

I do have a Work Sharp, a different model, yet rarely need for my Buck knives, particularly my 110s or 112s.

As suggested, to regain the Buck edge, and then make like easier to maintain, sending back to Buck May be the easiest to get that famous factory edge that can feather paper effortlessly.

My Work Sharp came with 2 guides and 3 different grit belts. The finest grit does about 95% of my touch up work, and then honed with a stone or edge of s piece of porcelain. 

If not careful with the belt systems you can ruin a knife blade real quick.

My model =

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:33:53 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 12:05:06 AM
Mike please check your pm's and answer   :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 02:37:32 AM
What do you all think of this sharpener??

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSCMB-Consistent-Long-Lasting/dp/B01J553RHS/ref=sr_1_45?keywords=smiths+knife+sharpener&qid=1565871410&s=gateway&sr=8-45

Overkill for regular sharpening, but for any extensive grinding or reprofiling, I think it would be a pretty good investment.  Interestingly enough, I think the Buck and Schrade (as long as it's USA) are the same steel; with maybe slight hardness differences due to heat treating variations. Though older LB-7s were 440A.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 03:11:33 PM
I'll agree with eveyone else the edge just hasn't been apexed yet. So a little work is still needed.
Lanske makes a Diamond/Ceramic 4-Rod Turn Box, that would be a good set up for someone new to sharpening.

Stay away from the powered systems until you have more experience.
And never use a pull thru sharpener.
TB-2D2C.jpg
* TB-2D2C.jpg (Filesize: 43.29 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79