Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Wave

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Old Wave
on: January 11, 2009, 02:36:33 AM
So, I've been not too happy about my old Wave (New Old Wave, by MTO criteria).  I mean it's got a pile of standard screwdriver blades, no bit holder, etc---meh.

Today, I had to replace the car battery in my 98 Accord.   The positive terminal had a TON of corrosion and had eaten the majority of the terminal nut away.   I had to get the old cable off, remove the old cable clamp and replace with new. 

Rather than expose my Vic Spirit or Skeletool to Sulfuric Acid and its associated corrosive salts, I decided to let my discredited Old Wave do the duty. 

Well, the short version is, it's an awesome tool!  :tu:
Using a combination of the pliers, metal saw, and various screwdrivers, I got the job done--in style! 

And as a bonus, the Wave is an incredibly comfortable tool to use.

Those of you with Old Waves, they're still a great tool.  Sometimes the slightly longer standard blades have an advantage over the bit driver set up, when use as a pry bar is indicated.

:multi:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Old Wave
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:40:34 AM
I actually like the Old wave over my brand new new wave I got yesterday. I found the larger wider blades stick up way to proud of the tool and dig into my hand powercutting into it.
S

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:06:55 AM
That's good to hear Mr. Whippy, and I'm glad that your Wave helped you get the job done.

I think the problem with the old Wave, is purely that it has been surpassed by superior tools from several different manufacturers. There are better alternatives for just about anything you need to do these days, but....

When it first appeared (11 years ago remember) it was revolutionary, and was never really considered to be gimmicky - it was a proper tool.

I prefer my New Wave to my old (sorry HC), but that doesn't mean the old one is rubbish!

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:33:03 AM
I have a New one and really like it but the Old Wave look like a very capable MT to me as well :tu:

I need one to add to my retired LM collection someday :ahhh :D

Offline Lion

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:17:48 AM
I still use my old Wave sometimes. I don't carry it anymore, but it does see use around the house. It lives on my nightstand in a box along with some other useful items.

Leo

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:33:01 AM
See I am really sold on my old wave. Call me old fasioned, but I have never been bothered by non locking drivers mainly because they give you awsome reach over the bit changer system. Plus I found the blade steel better, or just better heat treatment on them.
S

Offline tanker

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 05:43:38 PM
I´ve been using my old Wave 10 years now and it never failed, only sometimes I wished that the phillips driver had a locking system more than the other tools, probably because I found more tight phillips screws on the way.
By the way I have not seen rust so far in my Wave, I became aware of the rust issue of the LMs here in MTO but -knocking wood- so far no rust fortunately.
Now I´m carrying the Spirit and lately the New Wave...let´s see.
T

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:21:31 PM
I was really disappointed with the Old Wave for many reasons that I won't bore you all with again.

I thought the new one was great though.  :)
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD