Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox awl in scissors layer

Offline ComboTool

Victorinox awl in scissors layer
on: November 21, 2020, 03:56:37 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the hook, but usually don't mind. However, in opener-less builds the hook slot is really begging to be occupied by the now missing awl. There are several known problems with this, the main one being that there is very little spring tension with the awl instead of the hook. I tried to solve this by moving the pivot hole and I'm pleased to report that this restored satisfactory spring to the scissors  (which I  then proceeded to ruin by overpeening, of course  :facepalm:) and to the awl itself. The nail nick is accessible, if a little low, and the awl tip remains between the liners during the opening of the scissors so I shouldn't stab my own hand inadvertently. The only remaining problem is the bump in the backspring opposite the scissors handle, which might create a dull point on the edge of the awl over time. Only time will tell if that's an issue, in the meantime I'm pleased to introduce the Compact Craftsman.
IMG_6473.JPG
* IMG_6473.JPG (Filesize: 244.28 KB)
IMG_6474.JPG
* IMG_6474.JPG (Filesize: 193.62 KB)
IMG_6475.JPG
* IMG_6475.JPG (Filesize: 192.26 KB)
IMG_6477.JPG
* IMG_6477.JPG (Filesize: 152.31 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Victorinox awl in scissors layer
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:05:24 PM
Good work - nice mod   :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:50:43 PM
That's a cracker.

I have in mind making something similar, three layers, so without scissors. Hook instead of awl, that kind of mod is way out of my league.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:17:34 PM
Awlsome.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:23:23 AM
that kind of mod is way out of my league.
In fact it's not that difficult. To fill the existing hole you just need to hammer a piece of brass, it's like peening without requiring the same precision so if you're modding SAKs you already know how to do this. Drilling a new hole is more a matter of tools than of skill. Once you get a bench drill and carbide bits (and believe me, with all the enablers in this forum you will eventually) it goes from almost impossible to downright easy.

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 11:43:01 AM
In fact it's not that difficult. To fill the existing hole you just need to hammer a piece of brass, it's like peening without requiring the same precision so if you're modding SAKs you already know how to do this. Drilling a new hole is more a matter of tools than of skill. Once you get a bench drill and carbide bits (and believe me, with all the enablers in this forum you will eventually) it goes from almost impossible to downright easy.
Many thanks. Would love a proper workshop with drill press, but I still live in the city so space is a premium. I just have hand drills a Dremel hobby work station. I think that I’ve been using standard centre and metal bits. Are the carbide bits the fine ones that are sometimes described for use by jewellers? What size do you think is best for drilling out existing pins and pivots? 2.0mm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ComboTool

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 01:49:38 PM
For drilling out pivots you don't need carbide, brass is soft enough to use regular metal bits. I use 2.5mm bits for the outer pins and 2mm for the inner ones. Centering bits are not required but they definitely make things easier.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 05:06:16 PM
Excellent work Combo  :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 03:54:59 AM

Donations