Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking to start leather projects in the UK

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Looking to start leather projects in the UK
on: February 19, 2021, 10:13:14 AM
So in the coming weeks I'd like to start trying to make some little pouches and what not out of leather, I've been making things from some faux leather effect fabric I reclaimed from a sofa my parents were throwing out but have never worked with actual leather.

So newb questions!

-What are the bare minimum tools to make something that won't fall apart?

-I found a few online retailers (hedgehod leather, identity leather, artisan leather), it looks like £12.50 for some shin? Is that a good price? There's no shops near me I can ask for cuttings etc. so online is the way to go

-I was drawn to pig suade and lambskin for some knife slips and what not, is it best to avoid those kinds of things for the time being?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Looking to start leather projects in the UK
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 11:40:37 AM
I've used leather4craft.co.uk for years.

You can buy a whole lot of stuff on ebay.

Minimum gear? I'd say an xacto knife, some pre waxed thread, needles and an awl. Personally I'd add a groover and a set of pricking irons.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 02:00:42 PM
I've used leather4craft.co.uk for years.

You can buy a whole lot of stuff on ebay.

Minimum gear? I'd say an xacto knife, some pre waxed thread, needles and an awl. Personally I'd add a groover and a set of pricking irons.

Pretty much this will get you started. Get a ruler to mark a straight line for your stitches. You don't need to make a very deep groove, just use a blunt needle to mark the line. It'll help get the stitching aligned.

For starters, get a 1-prong and a 4-prong pricking iron. These are great for starters. When using the 4-pronged one, use the last hole you made as a guide. Just punch the first 4 holes, then punch 3 more, and so on. This is a great way to keep the spacing even. If you're punching 8 holes total, punch 4 + 2 + 2, using 2 guiding holes instead of just 1.

The 1-prong is good for curve lines and single holes.

Any doubts/questions, just ask!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Dexter

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 06:49:10 PM
Some great suggestions already. I have bought from artisans before and had good experience with them. I bought some push button snaps which were much sturdier and better quality than the cheap bulk packs on Amazon.

When I started with leatherwork I used some off cuts to practice on which worked ok for small simple things. However it is usually soft (chrome?) tanned leather used for furniture and the like and can be a bit too flexible to stitch neatly. Veg tanned leather can be a lot easier to work with and wet formed if so desired. Edges can be sanded and burnished for a smooth finish and ready for dye.

All the best on your endeavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:45:30 PM
Chrome tanned leather can damage carbon steel knives as well so it's worth keeping in mind when shopping for leather.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 10:41:14 PM
Thanks for all the infor guys! The gear list especially is useful.

So it's best to steer clear of chromed leather (this is Chromexcel?) since this will pretty much all be for various types of gear.

Hardware seems to be pretty pricey on these sites (£10-£12 for a single clasp), is that what to be expected over here, or is there decent quality to be had at lower prices somewhere?

DOes anyone prefer any particular youtubers when it comes to tutorials?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Dexter

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 06:49:07 AM
Thanks for all the infor guys! The gear list especially is useful.

So it's best to steer clear of chromed leather (this is Chromexcel?) since this will pretty much all be for various types of gear.

Hardware seems to be pretty pricey on these sites (£10-£12 for a single clasp), is that what to be expected over here, or is there decent quality to be had at lower prices somewhere?

DOes anyone prefer any particular youtubers when it comes to tutorials?
I learned quite a bit from ‘Ian Atkinson’. I think he is U.K. based and had some very good work and tips on materials and tools etc. I think he may even have a vid or two on making a SAK slip pouch.

When I started I just got a cheapish leatherwork tool kit from Amazon (£30-40) to get started.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 05:52:39 PM
I can second Ian Atkinson's channel.

I've bought leather on ebay also, never had any problems.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 12:43:45 PM
Just found this thread.

Here in Canada, an outlay of around 65 dollars off of Amazon.ca will net you a nice little starter kit that will start you off nicely. The prices of Leather working tools have dropped from what it was 20 years ago. The nice thing about these kits, it will always be cheaper than buying your tools individually.

For sewing this is what I recommend:

1. wax thread, or a piece of wax to wax your thread. Buying thread already waxed is a big time saver.
2. A grooving tool. This is basically a small leather cutter on an adjustable piece of metal. You run the groover on the edge of your leather and it cuts a small groove for your thread to fit in.
3. A nice set of leather sewing needles. These tend to be larger and have blunt ends. I use 2, one on each end of the wax thread. Look up saddle stitching. I have found that to be the best for leather sewing.
4. Either a sewing awl, and/or a set of diamond chisels/pricking irons.  The sewing awl allows you to punch a single hole. This is used usually with a sewing spacer, which is basically a roller with protrusions evenly spaced on the wheel. You wet the leather, groove your piece, and run the spacer in the groove. wherever it marks the leather, is where you would punch your leather through for sewing purposes. The Diamond chisels/pricking irons are used to punch holes directly and are a time saver.

Not sure how deep you wish to go with this...but I have found that leather stamping and carving is super relaxing. Maybe a small set of stamps might be something you wish to explore as well. From what I can see, the above location also sells kits where a starter set are included. To be honest, all you need is a starter set for the most part.

If you are curious about what I mean, just check this forum for some of my past threads that are written in a tutorial sort of way.

Here is the best one I think that shows step by step in making a big leather project from scratch. This project involved sewing as well.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,29781.0.html

You might also want to get a book or two when you are ready. Take a look at this thread where I posted all of the ones I have gathered over the years.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73400.0.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:51:35 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Jpac

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 04:51:32 PM
When I started working with leather, to make do without pricking irons I'd just draw my templates on graph paper, then would use the crossings as a guide to mark the holes. With just an awl you get straight, even stitches.
Takes more time but is cheaper. For me it was a good start.

IMG_20210223_093345 by juan pedro almeida, en Flickr

leather pocket organizer by juan pedro almeida, en Flickr

gb Offline Dexter

Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 05:06:15 PM
When I started working with leather, to make do without pricking irons I'd just draw my templates on graph paper, then would use the crossings as a guide to mark the holes. With just an awl you get straight, even stitches.
Takes more time but is cheaper. For me it was a good start.

IMG_20210223_093345 by juan pedro almeida, en Flickr

leather pocket organizer by juan pedro almeida, en Flickr
Very nice!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 12:30:06 PM
+1

I was thinking about a similar design, a couple of knives/OHTs in a caddy, plus a flashligh holder in the middle. This solution is better than what I had in mind. The flashlight holder "disappears" in yours when not in use.

One note to anyone doing something like this: when you have some slits/openings, it's a good idea to end them in a round hole, made with a puncher, so as not to have the cut go any further with time.

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Jpac

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 08:52:04 PM
+1

I was thinking about a similar design, a couple of knives/OHTs in a caddy, plus a flashligh holder in the middle. This solution is better than what I had in mind. The flashlight holder "disappears" in yours when not in use.

One note to anyone doing something like this: when you have some slits/openings, it's a good idea to end them in a round hole, made with a puncher, so as not to have the cut go any further with time.

:pok: :pok:

:cheers:

On the con side the flashlight can chafe or abrade the stitching. If the leather thickness is enough cutting a groove for the thread would protect it.

I punched 2mm holes on either end of the cuts.
Also in the corners of inward angles

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 12:49:42 PM

On the con side the flashlight can chafe or abrade the stitching. If the leather thickness is enough cutting a groove for the thread would protect it.

I punched 2mm holes on either end of the cuts.
Also in the corners of inward angles
Didn't quite understand this. Can you show an example? Thanks.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Jpac

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 12:49:11 PM
I meant this

IMG_20210226_111241 by juan pedro almeida, en Flickr

The left side corner is punched, unlike the right side one

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 06:39:05 PM
I meant this

IMG_20210226_111241 by juan pedro almeida, en Flickr

The left side corner is punched, unlike the right side one

I get it, thanks.

Yes, the cutting lines should awlways end in a rounded cut, so as to prevent tearing.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD