Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rabbit hole - EDC light

Zephon · 105 · 9183

ph Offline Zephon

Rabbit hole - EDC light
on: December 15, 2021, 07:16:21 AM
I think I may have stepped into a rabbit hole…. :facepalm:

It always starts with one….

Actually, my kids have been using those 1 dollar button lights as keychains before the pandemic started.  We were training them to be responsible with their own house keys as they came home from school.  This was before the pandemic.  Instead of some cute keychain, I gave them those cheap LED keychain lights.  Those have been recently upgraded to LED Lenser K2. 

Now I find myself with a Fenix EO1 AAA light….and browsing for a Fenix E12 AA light…..and maybe and Olight….and no, I don’t think I’m gonna do Convoy S2+ just yet….

Halp!   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Rabbit hole - EDC light
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:25:44 AM
Awarded.   :tu:

I sure wouldn't mind a new flashlight or two.   :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 04:11:06 PM
Congrats. It had been years since I was tempted with a new light.  I did pick up a Rovyvon Aurora A5 and couldn't be happier.  Its a nice little light tho I would like a lower price tag.  Probably best since I'd likely pick up several  :whistle:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 10:44:11 PM
Nice one!

It's a bad rabbithole to go down. It's my folks' fault. I had an Eveready 6 Volt lantern as a kid, which as soojn as I joined Scouts, was soon replaced by a string of incandescent Maglites, which evolved into LED Maglite models, an LED Lenser, several Olights, the old USGI Fulton, and a huge number of incandescent and LED industrial flashlights, namely the Pelican Stealthlite LED.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:57:11 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline fuyume

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 08:10:54 PM
I finally got around to replacing my lights in 2021, after not having bought one since 2014.

I now have:

Fenix PD36 TAC - mainly used as my bicycle headlamp, Fenix ARB-L21-5000 USB-C rechargeable 21700 Li-ion
Cat Eye Auto Rapid 3 - bicycle taillamp, Energizer L91 lithium AA

Fenix E12 v2.0 and HM23 - for backpacking and camping, Energizer L91 lithium AAs

Nitecore EC11 - my new EDC light, Fenix ARB-L16-700UP micro-USB rechargeable 16340 Li-ion.
冬芽 fuyume (女 she/her/anoko)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 06:01:52 PM
I bet that was fun, upgrading your lights.  From 2014 to today there are some many cool lights.  After getting my Zebralight and S1R I felt I was more than covered.  Then I kept seeing the Rovyvon A5 and finally pulled the trigger.  Its a great light and couldn't be happier.  Single cell lights are more my speed these days and ones that can use a variety of chemistries.  I really like my TOOL 2.0.  Its such a great light and not too pricy either. 

I'm probably in the minority but I like strobe feature so a light with it tends to get more carry time outside the house. 
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 03:00:20 PM
Let’s see… the label says ‘Lumintop Tool AA 2.0”.  Cost me like USD20. I bought it just after Christmas. I was thinking I might need something more than just a AAA so might as well try a AA. At first I wanted a Fenix E12 v2 or something like that. The store ran out of stocks while I was debating/budgeting for it. Then I saw this one. Yeah, the seller sent the wrong color.

Now I have a new flashlight that can take in alkaline AAA, NiMH, and if I’m adventurous, a 14500 Lithium. I’m fine with alkaline right now.

TBH, I think it’s a bit big for pocket carry. It’s perfect for keeping in the car compartment though!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 03:04:28 PM
 :tu:  I have run 14500s in mine 8).  Its a terrific light and so versatile as far what cells it takes.  I like the diffuser it came with as well.  No complaints from me on this light.  Yours is really cool.     
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 03:30:23 PM
I’ve come to a realization why flashlights/torches can be addictive.

They cost way way lower than full sized MTs or SAKs.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 09:38:27 PM
Now I have a new flashlight that can take in alkaline AAA, NiMH, and if I’m adventurous, a 14500 Lithium. I’m fine with alkaline right now.
Did yours not come with a 14500 included??!!
Mine did, along with a spare magnetic twist-on/off tailcap and a GITD diffuser cap for the business end...

I’ve come to a realization why flashlights/torches can be addictive.
They cost way way lower than full sized MTs or SAKs.
Uhhhhhhh.... dinky little pocket-sized ones like these do, yeah.... but you'll want to try one or two 18650s at some point, to see what the fuss is about and why people love 1600-2000 lumens.... then it'll be a soda-can thrower, then a 21700 for 4000 lumens... then a custom build with Andruil UI... and before you know it, you'll be dropping £2-3000 on something with 32,000 lumens that comes with its own tripod or vehicle pintle mount and an assistant operator, plus some extra guys as battery bearers.
And just when you think you have everything you could ever need or want, you start learning about MODDING!!!!!

This is not so much a rabbit hole as a bottomless chasm...
Welcome! :D

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 03:14:43 AM
I realized I made a typo - the Lumintop Tool 2.0 is a AA not triple A.

The set I got did not come with magnetic back end nor 14500 battery, just the defuser. I was on ‘entry level mode’ for a double A after getting a triple A fenix E01 v2, if I’m not mistaken.

Well, the flashlight thing is a long story. I’m thankful that we haven’t had any power outage for quite some time already. We’re right smack center of the city so it’s usually well lit here. As for rechargables well….that’s another story.

Last Dec 16 a category 4 typhoon, Rei (locally: Odette) hit the ‘middle’ islands of the Philippines bring category 4 winds with category 5 rains. Power companies are still working to restore electricity in provincial areas up to now. My line of thinking is ‘if this hit Manila, what gear would we have that would be useful?’  Can’t help compute for the cost of multiple alkaline batteries vs multiple 14500? How to recharge if there’s no power? Etc.

Anyway, that’s all for another discussion  :hatsoff:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 09:27:19 AM
I realized I made a typo - the Lumintop Tool 2.0 is a AA not triple A.

The set I got did not come with magnetic back end nor 14500 battery, just the defuser. I was on ‘entry level mode’ for a double A after getting a triple A fenix E01 v2, if I’m not mistaken.

Well, the flashlight thing is a long story. I’m thankful that we haven’t had any power outage for quite some time already. We’re right smack center of the city so it’s usually well lit here. As for rechargables well….that’s another story.

Last Dec 16 a category 4 typhoon, Rei (locally: Odette) hit the ‘middle’ islands of the Philippines bring category 4 winds with category 5 rains. Power companies are still working to restore electricity in provincial areas up to now. My line of thinking is ‘if this hit Manila, what gear would we have that would be useful?’  Can’t help compute for the cost of multiple alkaline batteries vs multiple 14500? How to recharge if there’s no power? Etc.

Anyway, that’s all for another discussion  :hatsoff:

Thoughts for your concern and based on my own experience with EDCing a Tool AA:

The only reason to go 14500 is if you want the additional lumens, which is admittedly impressive, if you aren't fussed about that then normal NiMH rechargeables will have a much higher capacity. This means you recharge them less during EDC everyday, but they'll also last you longer in a power outage situation. I personally go with a 14500, because I don't mind topping the battery up at the end of a work week (or at least that's what I did when I worked outside the house).

For you I'd say grab a rechargeable (which is dependent on your preference as mentioned), then just store some lithium AAs in an airtight container for emergencies (pop their expiry dates in a spreadsheet in the cloud and write on a label on the box) and pick up a crank power lantern. A lot of them have a small solar panel too, meaning that no matter how long power outages last you'll have some light, and you'll be able to recharge USB electronics to some degree.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 10:53:43 AM
The only reason to go 14500 is if you want the additional lumens,
I would also add that the 14500 I got with mine has USB charging, which can be done from sources other than the somewhat bulky mains charger needed for NiCad or NiMH cells... in my case a car, train, laptop, powerbank and even my phone.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 11:59:55 AM
I would also add that the 14500 I got with mine has USB charging, which can be done from sources other than the somewhat bulky mains charger needed for NiCad or NiMH cells... in my case a car, train, laptop, powerbank and even my phone.

Those 14500 with built-in charging ports are catching my eye right now….
 :like:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 01:48:11 PM
Those 14500 with built-in charging ports are catching my eye right now….
 :like:
With a suitable adapter, it means you only have to carry one little cable for phone, torch, smarsmurfch, wireless earbuds, and whatever else you kids have these days! ;)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 06:30:00 AM
Where do you guys keep your diffuser? Or how do you keep it?

Like on the Tool AA 2.0 I try to keep it on the button end when not in use. But yeah…it’s on the button.

I have to admit it’s getting more use than I planned it to.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 09:02:13 AM
Uhhh.... well.... mine stays in the box. I don't really use it much. Sorry...

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 09:11:23 AM
Where do you guys keep your diffuser?

I keep them with the battery charger. Used for night fishing, camping and power cuts etc.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 03:13:58 PM

Like on the Tool AA 2.0 I try to keep it on the button end when not in use. But yeah…it’s on the button.

I have to admit it’s getting more use than I planned it to.

Atm it's in the flashlight section of my knife chest, but when I was EDCing the Tool AA for work I would carry it in the Maxpedition kit I had in my bag.

You could probably poke a small hole in the thicker part of the silicon and attach it to a small S-biner or something to carry easier
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 04:35:55 PM
I keep the diffuser on the business end of my light.  I tried the other end but it seems to work out on the business end.  I run eneloops AAs in mine but I do have 14500s.  I bought a few Eneloops packs at Costco several years back so I have plenty of AAs.  I have a couple lights around the house and always one on me.  Years ago we had a major power outage so carrying a AAA light on my at home is not a big deal.  It sure comes in handy when you need light.   
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 09:17:48 AM
Rabbit hole indeed!

Here’s a Mini2 that’s bound to tag along with my Mini Tool.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #21 on: May 27, 2022, 01:46:37 PM
I picked up a new light with the intent of possibility giving it to my wife’s keychain. I previously posted on the other thread that she’s more used to clicky lights rather than twisties.

I’ve been carry the Lumintop Frog for a couple of days already. It’s my first ‘complicated’ interface where a couple of quick blinks might mean something or probably just nothing. I’m not sure how my wife would take to that. The beam is also not white but rather warm yellow. I would have preferred white though. All the while I thought all LED lights were white.

What I like about it is that it’s small, it’s a clicky, it’s rechargeable (albeit it needs a charging base), and I’m getting the hang of the ramp up/ramp down of the beam intensity.

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 01:12:29 AM
I picked up a new light with the intent of possibility giving it to my wife’s keychain. I previously posted on the other thread that she’s more used to clicky lights rather than twisties.

I’ve been carry the Lumintop Frog for a couple of days already. It’s my first ‘complicated’ interface where a couple of quick blinks might mean something or probably just nothing. I’m not sure how my wife would take to that. The beam is also not white but rather warm yellow. I would have preferred white though. All the while I thought all LED lights were white.

What I like about it is that it’s small, it’s a clicky, it’s rechargeable (albeit it needs a charging base), and I’m getting the hang of the ramp up/ramp down of the beam intensity.

Very nice! Looks like a cousin of the GT Nano. You can turn off the ramping for more conventional modes in the UI, as well as turn off that switch LED to lower parasitic drain.

I'll probably pick one of these up, in case you didn't know you can grab extension tubes for them that allow a 10440 (AAA sized li-ion) for longer run times.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #23 on: May 31, 2022, 02:16:22 AM
Thanks!

Yes, it’s a new take on the GT Nano — more flood instead of more throw, is what I believe how the flashlight people describe it. 

I’m starting to like the ramping up/down UI as it allows me to pick the goldilocks zone of brightness.  I’m also learning how to activate strobe and select thru it, though not perfectly. I’m also more comfortable in engaging the button lock without accidentally getting into the “momentary mode” of press-to-light-hold-to-keep-on.

The parasitic drain hasn’t bit me yet by draining the battery when I need it most.  I’m more annoyed by the flashlight blinking when hit by a particular level of impact (I can slam it on my wrist and it won’t blink but when it shakes while I take out my keys, it blinks twice)

Anyway, yes I have a 10440 tube with battery on the way (from China).  What made me face palm is that I should have bought the 10440 tube of the GT Nano with a flat bottom instead of the Frog’s 10440 tube which looks just like the 10180 tube.  That way I can place it down on the shelf ‘like a candle’.

I’m also thinking if I should get the 2x AAA long tube….for AAA batteries.

My fingers aren’t used to doing more than 3 clicks so I’m having challenges in exploring all other UI options (Windows vs Narsil  :rofl: )

I’ve been using it for a week or so and I’m liking it and yes, it does seem to need the longer tube.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 04:50:21 PM
Good you found a light.  I enjoy playing with new lights especially if the UI is new to me.  This way I learn the light but also create some muscle memory. 
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 01:42:18 AM
Thanks Aloha! I agree about the muscle memory. It seems that it should apply to flashlights too, and not just MTs.

Regarding the parasitic drain, it seems like I spoke too soon! This morning the Frog started to do the blinking-then-step-down sequence to indicate low voltage. It only lasted 3-4 days since last charge, with daily play…. I mean use.

I found a way to turn off the LED on the switch but I don’t want to confuse it with the torch being on button lock.  I’ll have to try to see which works.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #26 on: June 03, 2022, 07:50:29 AM
Got a new toy to tinker with here. It’s my first 16340 powered flashlight. It’s a Trustfire MC1.

It’s funny that after getting used to the Narsil UI of the Lumintop Frog, I’m finding the MC1 ‘too simple’. It is unique though. A long 2-second press turns it On/Off and a quick press shuffles between L-M-H. A 6-second press activates the strobe.

I like it in its simplicity. I like the flood, throw, white beam of the MC1. Charging is via proprietary cable. I’d like to explore using a battery from another brand - a 16340 that charges on its own USB cable - for more flexibility.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2022, 04:32:54 PM
Looks like you've gone a little ways down this rabbit hole.  There's quite a long way yet  :whistle:.  Funny how the UI is now too simple  :D.   Part of the fun of lights are the UI.  Of course high output is also really fun.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 09:46:32 AM
Lights are definitely a rabbit hole.  I fell down it a few years ago.

My current favorites are the Mateminco CSF-04, HDS Rotary, Acebeam Rider RX and Fraz Labs Tiny Nugget slim. 

The Mateminco is always on my keychain.  It could easily fulfill most people’s edc light needs.  The ramping is great and once learned is such a nice feature.

The Acebeam, I have been liking more for the fidget factor, but it is still a nice light. 

The HDS is just a masterpiece of a light.  It is an awesome UI and very reliable.  My edc one has seen drops, extreme temperatures, wet conditions, etc and just keeps working.  Some consider it “not bright enough” but it is sufficient for many daily needs.  If I had to choose just one light, this would probably.be it.

The Tiny Nugget is just as foolproof and bombproof as a light can get.  It is also very simple to use.  Perfect for emergencies.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 09:49:53 AM
Thanks!

Yes, it’s a new take on the GT Nano — more flood instead of more throw, is what I believe how the flashlight people describe it. 

I’m starting to like the ramping up/down UI as it allows me to pick the goldilocks zone of brightness.  I’m also learning how to activate strobe and select thru it, though not perfectly. I’m also more comfortable in engaging the button lock without accidentally getting into the “momentary mode” of press-to-light-hold-to-keep-on.

The parasitic drain hasn’t bit me yet by draining the battery when I need it most.  I’m more annoyed by the flashlight blinking when hit by a particular level of impact (I can slam it on my wrist and it won’t blink but when it shakes while I take out my keys, it blinks twice)

Anyway, yes I have a 10440 tube with battery on the way (from China).  What made me face palm is that I should have bought the 10440 tube of the GT Nano with a flat bottom instead of the Frog’s 10440 tube which looks just like the 10180 tube.  That way I can place it down on the shelf ‘like a candle’.

I’m also thinking if I should get the 2x AAA long tube….for AAA batteries.

My fingers aren’t used to doing more than 3 clicks so I’m having challenges in exploring all other UI options (Windows vs Narsil  :rofl: )

I’ve been using it for a week or so and I’m liking it and yes, it does seem to need the longer tube.
I had never heard of the Frog, but might have to look into it.  I do like ramping lights.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%