Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Post, Last Chance ... (Should these be kept?)

us Offline Wyverndude

First Post, Last Chance ... (Should these be kept?)
on: February 06, 2022, 12:31:05 AM
Hi everybody.  First post, I'm hoping this isn't a dumb question...

I am right on the verge of actually finally starting on a project I've had in the back burner for -apparently more than 20 years (I have a receipt from 1999) whereas I intend to make my own pocketknife/multi-tool/SAK.  The details of that plan I think I'm safe to assume belong in a different forum (same site, of course, but not under Collector's).

I've got my titanium, carbide endmills, taps ... and (subject of this post) sacrificial donors, in the accompanying image.

My question for this group of experts: None of these are particularly/especially valuable/collectible or anything ... right?
That should be a dumb question, or so I would assume.

I just don't want to be like This Guy: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358454/Andrew-Vickers-Artist-destroys-rare-edition-The-Avengers-valuable-comics.html

So... let me know before I start taking these apart.

Thank you everybody!

us Offline Wyverndude

Re: First Post, Last Chance ... (Should these be kept?)
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 05:40:27 PM
OK so, RangerGrip 71 Gardener: seems to be unavailable for purchase; but I wasn't really planning to take that one apart anyway.  RangerGrip 74, in stock at Amazon, so no issue there.  SwissChamp XLT, ditto.
So the only one really in question would be the Wenger ToolChest Plus, in Black.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 07:21:23 PM
What parts do you need from the Wenger?

Maybe you can get them in a less collectable used SAK on ebay.

us Offline Wyverndude

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 03:40:46 PM
What parts do you need from the Wenger?

Maybe you can get them in a less collectable used SAK on ebay.

That's what I was wondering.  The question being: is it worth the trouble of getting something else, when I have the parts here?  It would be if the one I have is somehow especially valuable/rare/collectible.  Certainly, a black Wenger ToolChest Plus is not available for purchase (brand new anyway) so that suggests it's collectible, but it doesn't make it valuable.

Many, many years ago, I found an empty can of Billy Beer.  I was under age, couldn't have bought a can myself.  I kept it, thinking it should be a valuable collectible some day.  You would think, right?  Limited edition, limited time, special circumstances, etc, etc. 
Well, if you go on eBay, you can get a can, a full one. 
Or a pack. 
Or a case, take your pick. 
Everybody knew that was a collectible at the time.
Everybody's got Billy Beer.
Collectible.  Not valuable.

All of that being said ... your comment does make me more inclined to keep it in one piece and get the tools from something else.

Thank you   :)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 01:34:49 PM
That's what I was wondering.  The question being: is it worth the trouble of getting something else, when I have the parts here?  It would be if the one I have is somehow especially valuable/rare/collectible.  Certainly, a black Wenger ToolChest Plus is not available for purchase (brand new anyway) so that suggests it's collectible, but it doesn't make it valuable.

Many, many years ago, I found an empty can of Billy Beer.  I was under age, couldn't have bought a can myself.  I kept it, thinking it should be a valuable collectible some day.  You would think, right?  Limited edition, limited time, special circumstances, etc, etc. 
Well, if you go on eBay, you can get a can, a full one. 
Or a pack. 
Or a case, take your pick. 
Everybody knew that was a collectible at the time.
Everybody's got Billy Beer.
Collectible.  Not valuable.

All of that being said ... your comment does make me more inclined to keep it in one piece and get the tools from something else.

Thank you   :)

+1

If you can get the parts you want from some other less "rare", less complete model, I'd go for it.

Keep us posted on your project.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 02:40:33 PM
My favourite models.
Please, don't touch the Tool Chest, don't kill that baby.
XLT is expensive, can't you use a Swisschamp?
What are the tools on how many layers in your planned SAK?

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 02:47:07 PM
From a quick look around, it seems the ToolChest Plus was about £70 brand new when last in stock at my usual shops... Second hand it's now going for about £180.
Most Wengers have gotten expensive lately, because they're no longer made but still in demand and only getting harder to find. It's not likely to be worth millions, but it probably will go even further up in value.

But it's your knife, you do what you like with it.
People regularly destroy hundreds of Dollars' worth of camera equipment just so they can build a Lightsabre toy, because the latter is worth far more to them personally.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%