Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

15 or 30 days of Crunch

Rich_SD · 341 · 8290

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: 15 or 30 days of Crunch
Reply #30 on: April 01, 2022, 06:27:17 PM
Day 1

Here's my companion for 15 or 30 days - a brand new Crunch from Leatherman after they finally restocked. 

To start off, I want to confess that I am not a fan of the Crunch  :pommel:  I like the idea and I love the design, but I don't like how "difficult" it is to deploy the pliers.  Based on what I have read, it gets easier and quicker the more you use it, so that is what I am hoping to accomplish during this challenge.  I'll also need to do something about a pocket clip or suspension clip.   :tu:

Nice Pic  :tu:  Come to think of it a pocket clip on the crunch would be nice given it's size. And a bigger crunch with more aggressive jaws for bigger jobs... in BO of course.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 01, 2022, 06:59:32 PM
Nice Pic  :tu:  Come to think of it a pocket clip on the crunch would be nice given it's size. And a bigger crunch with more aggressive jaws for bigger jobs... in BO of course.

Thanks  :hatsoff:

I agree.  When I received my first Crunch, I was surprised that it was much smaller than I imaged... especially since Leatherman (back then) classified it as a heavy duty tool.  I would love to see a Supertool-sized Crunch.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: April 01, 2022, 07:10:08 PM
Thanks  :hatsoff:

I agree.  When I received my first Crunch, I was surprised that it was much smaller than I imaged... especially since Leatherman (back then) classified it as a heavy duty tool.  I would love to see a Supertool-sized Crunch.

Been dreaming of one of those for well over a decade :dd: :drool: :like:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #33 on: April 02, 2022, 04:49:05 AM
Awlready off to a great start! I will definitely keep checking in.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #34 on: April 02, 2022, 12:21:30 PM
Day 2
April 2

Proof of concept on why the Crunch is a darn good co-pilot.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #35 on: April 02, 2022, 02:43:00 PM
Day 2
April 2

us Offline Adam5

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2022, 02:50:39 PM
Day 2

The Crunch locking pliers get all of the attention. So today I thought I would try out the Phillips driver:

It is the older Phillips instead of the newer one (which I like a lot), but it works fine.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: April 02, 2022, 02:59:22 PM
Great pics Zephon and Adam :woohoo: :like:

Adam, the old school Phillips drivers do tend to slip a bit more than the newer square shank ones but at least they aren't as slippery as the Vic Phillips :ahhh :D

us Offline Adam5

Reply #38 on: April 02, 2022, 05:12:46 PM
I like being able to use an adapter with the square shank driver. I have a need at times for different bits and keep a container of bits and an adapter on me most days.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 02, 2022, 05:25:12 PM

Nice pic  :tu: What am I looking at here?  All I can see is an air tube connection coming out of a flat screen monitor, and I'm sure that isn't right.  :rofl:

The Crunch locking pliers get all of the attention. So today I thought I would try out the Phillips driver:

It is the older Phillips instead of the newer one (which I like a lot), but it works fine.

Nice pic  :tu:  Now I know who to bug with all of my DIY home repair/improvement questions  :D  ;)

us Offline Adam5

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2022, 05:45:23 PM
 :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: April 02, 2022, 06:13:40 PM
I like being able to use an adapter with the square shank driver. I have a need at times for different bits and keep a container of bits and an adapter on me most days.

Just use the 1/4 adapter in the end of the Crunch under the adjustment screw  :pok: don't loose the adjustment screw though :ahhh

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 02, 2022, 06:35:10 PM
Day 2

I'm posting early because I'll be out a lot and might not get home until late.

First, after carrying my Crunch for a day and a morning, I have only used the blade so far.  I am sure I'll miss having a one-hand opening blade again, but the Crunch blade is quicker to deploy than my other inside-the-handle Leatherman blades.  I also love the shape/style - a serrated sheepsfoot blade is very useful to me.  I might miss having a straight blade, so maybe I'll pair a tradition folder or a SAK with it later.

This morning, I have been going through my "box of stuff" for a pocket clip solution for my Crunch.  I was initially planning on using a Kick clip, but I read that a Sideclip clip is a better fit.  I also might just try a Nite Ize clip and save the Leatherman clips for a later mod.  If I have time tomorrow, I'll pick one and add it.  I'm already tired of the Crunch riding low and horizontal in my pocket  :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: April 02, 2022, 06:38:36 PM
Those all look like good options, Rich :cheers: I have read comments here and there about the clip getting in the way by some people but I have also seen good feedback about having one as well so I guess YMMV :tu:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #44 on: April 03, 2022, 01:44:08 AM
Bonus pic:

Used the serrated blade to cut up a couple of ginormous pizza boxes:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: April 03, 2022, 03:44:21 AM
Nice write ups and posts for day 2. Was up and about from 4am and only now winding down for the day. So a late post from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 03, 2022, 03:51:53 AM
Day 2

Re-spaced an old bike frame to take newer wheels and the crunch was used to hold the threaded rod while I used the 3/4 wrench to turn the bolts. It was perfect for the job.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #47 on: April 03, 2022, 04:59:17 AM
Nice pic  :tu:  Now I know who to bug with all of my DIY home repair/improvement questions  :D  ;)
I'll definitely bug Adam when things electrical are concerned. :D

More great pics from awl!
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: April 03, 2022, 03:25:38 PM
Many great pics in this thread already, peeps :woohoo: :like:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 03, 2022, 04:34:15 PM
Day 3

A glamour pic today. Got a few things planned to do with the Crunch today and will post those in the coming days.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #50 on: April 04, 2022, 01:13:29 AM
Nice pic  :tu: What am I looking at here?  All I can see is an air tube connection coming out of a flat screen monitor, and I'm sure that isn't right.  :rofl:

Hahaha! Not sure what the technical terms are but that’s the male end of a water hose coupling that goes into the faucet, then the quick release end of the hose attaches to that. The background is the glass of a top-loading washing machine. Working on plumbing to put it generally….

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #51 on: April 04, 2022, 01:16:56 AM
Day 3
April 3

Just an observation on my piece. The philips tends to droop down as shown on the picture. I can use the wrench to super tighten it but it’ll make tool access a bit difficult. Doesn’t really get in the way of work though.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 04, 2022, 02:33:28 AM
Day 3

Great pics today, everyone  :tu:

I was going to add my pocket clip to my Crunch today, but I misplaced my Leatherman parse wrenches  :ahhh 

I still haven't needed my Crunch pliers yet... I am actually looking for a reason to use them too.  I guess that's the way these challenges go  :rofl:  I used the blade several times, and I used the small screwdriver on a security camera battery that was stuck.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 04, 2022, 04:13:32 AM
Day 3
April 3

Just an observation on my piece. The philips tends to droop down as shown on the picture. I can use the wrench to super tighten it but it’ll make tool access a bit difficult. Doesn’t really get in the way of work though.

A nice pic  :tu:  It does not do that on mine unless I flick it. Then too all tools drops about 1/8", not just the philips like yours.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: April 04, 2022, 04:33:05 AM
Day 3

Great pics today, everyone  :tu:

I was going to add my pocket clip to my Crunch today, but I misplaced my Leatherman parse wrenches  :ahhh 

I still haven't needed my Crunch pliers yet... I am actually looking for a reason to use them too.  I guess that's the way these challenges go  :rofl:  I used the blade several times, and I used the small screwdriver on a security camera battery that was stuck.

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool pic  :tu:.  I would have never guessed that was a security camera.

Me personally find things to do or try and fit in a MT for these challenges to keep things interesting. I first try and use the MT and if it's a repeated task like fastening 20 screws I will quickly switch to power or dedicated tools because it's faster. Sometimes I stage the MT in action to get a good pic for everyone to enjoy but never mislead.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #55 on: April 04, 2022, 11:48:51 AM
Day 4

April 4

Bought new bedding for the kids’ room. Used the Crunch’s blade on the tags….just because.

I’m glad that 1) the blade is a right-hand blade 2) the blade is fully serrated, versus partially serrated, given its small length.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: April 04, 2022, 03:51:56 PM
Day 4

I used the serrated blade too like Zephon.  My kid’s favorite color went from pink to purple and trying to make her bike look more purple with new grips. Had to dig under the old grips to cut it out. The sheep foot profile helped me go deep and it worked out well. The blade is kind of short but usable.

us Offline David

Reply #57 on: April 04, 2022, 04:43:57 PM
I'd have'd liked to do this challenge but to short of notice and prior commitment to the Buck 110 Challenge.    :D    Maybe next time.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Adam5

Reply #58 on: April 04, 2022, 08:33:22 PM
Day 3

Days like today make me wish I had continued on to graduate school rather than going into the family business full-time  :facepalm:

Anyway, I was up in an attic switching over the main feeder for a house from the old electrical service to the new service. Didn't need the Crunch, but it look like a good place for a photo op:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 04, 2022, 09:12:03 PM
Nice pics so far today  :tu: 

Days like today make me wish I had continued on to graduate school rather than going into the family business full-time  :facepalm:

Based on the hourly rate I pay to electricians, I suspect you guys are getting paid the same as me... and I'm still paying my student loans (I graduated 18 years ago).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%