Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Early 90s? Fisherman/Angler

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Early 90s? Fisherman/Angler
on: April 02, 2022, 03:19:45 PM
I've come to really appreciate the fish scaler as an EDC tool, so I started poking around for slimmer models with one. I think what I want is basically a Climber with one (though I wouldn't say no to a Fishplorer.) The wiki leads me to believe that, at one point, Vic offered this configuration as the Fisherman and later as the Angler, though both models have changed many times over the years. The biggest issue seems to be finding a year where the knife contained the scissor/hook layer and corkscrew. Was there a time (early 90s?) post-hook where a corkscrew AND scissors version existed? If so, any tips on what to search for on ebay or other sellers to find one?

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Early 90s? Fisherman/Angler
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 05:07:42 AM
Was there a time (early 90s?) post-hook where a corkscrew AND scissors version existed? If so, any tips on what to search for on ebay or other sellers to find one?
I have no idea if an Angler with a hook and scissors was ever made. (Kamakiri is probably your best source for that information.) As for finding one, I'd just search for "Victorinox Fisherman" and "Victorinox Angler." Of course, some folks may not be able to be bugged to learn the model names, but they'd have a hard time missing the fish inlay. Searching for "Victorinox Fish" or "Victorinox Fishing" may get you a few extra results.

If you have no luck finding one that left the factory that way, a mod probably wouldn't be all that hard to do. Let me know if you decide to go the mod route. Good luck in your quest!
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 05:47:53 AM

Was there a time (early 90s?) post-hook where a corkscrew AND scissors version existed? If so, any tips on what to search for on ebay or other sellers to find one?

Yes I think what you’re referring to is a semi rare version of the fisherman that had both the scissors and the corkscrew often referred to as a “drunken fisherman”

as far as the angler... My angler is like the one pictured below
with pliers and a fish scaler but no scissors so no hook

Image credit SAKwiki.com

The fisherman however has scissors and a hook- depending on the year it was made- hook if after 92

If you’re a fan of the fish scaler and you dig the tool set of the Explorer you may want to check out the outdoorsman. It was made for Marlboro in the early 90s or so. It’s one of my favorites to EDC. It’s got all of the tools that the Explorer has plus an additional saw and fish scaler- As well as a back layer screwdriver.
Here it is...

Image credit SAKwiki.com
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:55:25 AM by Explorer »

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 07:43:42 AM
I like the scaler too. Nothing to do with fish, mind: mine is all about weeding, probing, measuring kinds of things.

I didn't know there were all sorts of Angler/Fisherman toolset variants in the past. An Angler with scissors instead of pliers would be a cool knife.

Fishing for an appropriate Angler in the 'Bay, hehe, snarf :D  Meanwhile, Farmer X made sound search suggestions. Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 09:17:27 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 04:06:24 PM

Yes I think what you’re referring to is a semi rare version of the fisherman that had both the scissors and the corkscrew often referred to as a “drunken fisherman”

as far as the angler... My angler is like the one pictured below
with pliers and a fish scaler but no scissors so no hook

Image credit SAKwiki.com

The fisherman however has scissors and a hook- depending on the year it was made- hook if after 92

If you’re a fan of the fish scaler and you dig the tool set of the Explorer you may want to check out the outdoorsman. It was made for Marlboro in the early 90s or so. It’s one of my favorites to EDC. It’s got all of the tools that the Explorer has plus an additional saw and fish scaler- As well as a back layer screwdriver.
Here it is...

Image credit SAKwiki.com

I'll take a poke at looking for a late 90s one. I do have an Outdoorsman, which is currently shelf-queening since I don't like the Marlboro scales, but they're in such good shape I feel bad taking them off. Thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%