Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).

Aloha · 1021 · 32942

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).
Reply #900 on: May 22, 2024, 03:41:31 PM
I figure at this this rate it'll be 3-4 months before it gets to me...
I strive for quick turnaround. If that ain't possible, I'll at least keep everyone abreast of what's going on.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #901 on: May 22, 2024, 04:06:35 PM
  Nobody signed up has a tendency to keep the box more than a couple of days.  Friend Aztec had to keep it a while last time he had it because nobody else would take it.  I finally said I would just to get it out of his way.  3 to 4 weeks is more likely than 3 to 4 months. 
   Just in case anyone new is reading this thread, when a package is shipped by Priority Flat Rate Box the person shipping gets a ticket.  On the ticket is a long series of numbers.  These are the postal tracking numbers, and should be sent to the new recipient by PM.  Then they will know that the package has indeed been sent and its location as it makes its way across country.
 Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #902 on: May 22, 2024, 04:40:46 PM
When a package is shipped by Priority Flat Rate Box the person shipping gets a ticket.  On the ticket is a long series of numbers.  These are the postal tracking numbers, and should be sent to the new recipient by PM.
:iagree: USPS Informed Delivery will awlso notify the recipient that a package is inbound. However, not everyone uses it. Sending the tracking number via PM or e-mail is an assurance that the recipient knows what he's getting. :tu:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #903 on: May 22, 2024, 09:36:25 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a look at the surprise box, if that's okay with everyone! I'm not sure exactly how to request it but I'd like to be considered, please.

us Offline lazar

Reply #904 on: May 22, 2024, 09:58:30 PM
  Nobody signed up has a tendency to keep the box more than a couple of days.  Friend Aztec had to keep it a while last time he had it because nobody else would take it.  I finally said I would just to get it out of his way.  3 to 4 weeks is more likely than 3 to 4 months. 
   Just in case anyone new is reading this thread, when a package is shipped by Priority Flat Rate Box the person shipping gets a ticket.  On the ticket is a long series of numbers.  These are the postal tracking numbers, and should be sent to the new recipient by PM.  Then they will know that the package has indeed been sent and its location as it makes its way across country.
 Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

I strive for quick turnaround. If that ain't possible, I'll at least keep everyone abreast of what's going on.

Just a bad joke I guess.  I get it, life happens.

Put tuisto before me!

1. FarmerX
2. AzteCypher
3. IMR4198
4. Alan K.
5. tuisto
6. lazar

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #905 on: May 22, 2024, 10:56:51 PM
    Simple rules, Tuisto.  We ship it USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate in a medium box.  Costs $18.40.  You will need a roll of the wide clear package tape to tape up the box.  New boxes and shipping labels are available for free at any post office. 
    When you get it, you DON'T say what is in it or take a photo.  Ruins the surprise.  Look it over.  Take your time.  Keep something if you want to.  Put something back if you want to.  When you box everything back up, send the next recipient the tracking number.  That is about it.
    We used to say that you should try to replace what you take with something of equal value, but after the box got so huge, we sort of stopped doing that.  There was no way to enforce it anyway.  Good faith and friendship.  That's the key. 
    You do have to make a post showing a photo of the things you kept.  NOT the things you put in the box.  It is probably best to take a couple of days going through the things at your leisure. 
     As long as you have some fun, agree to ship it to the next recipient, and try to act in the spirit of good will and giving that lives here on MTo, you will be fine.  Best wishes.  G
 :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #906 on: May 23, 2024, 01:40:08 PM
Guess I have no worry about the surprise box sitting in plain view, in front of the front door. It arrived in Indianapolis on Tuesday night and has not moved since. Either it wants to see this year's running of the 500 or USPS got stoopid again. :twak:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #907 on: May 23, 2024, 01:52:41 PM
    Last time I shipped the box to Pennsylvania, it arrived in only a couple of days.  When I shipped to Missouri, it took a little longer and arrived with what looked like a huge hole from a fork-lift in the side.  Weren't you the one who got it with one of the items stolen from the box during shipment, Dan?  Waiting for it is always full of suspense for me.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #908 on: May 23, 2024, 04:09:29 PM
I got the box burst open and missing an item once.  Back when it was all in a small box the box arrived open and sealed in a bag from USPS with their apologies and instructions for filing a claim if anything was damaged or missing.  I asked for an inventory from Sos and everything was in the box except for one Spyderco knife that must have been in the end that was torn.  There was still plenty to admire and pick over in the box and nothing was damaged, but that's when we started packing loose items together in zip lock bags and taping the boxes so they were pretty much bomb proof.  Sherry went above and beyond and completely unexpectedly (but just like her to do something like that) replaced the missing Spyderco about a week later, so I was doubly surprised.  This group is by far the most generous bunch on the interwebs and that's why the box is now a medium box. :cheers:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #909 on: May 23, 2024, 05:57:46 PM
   I knew someone got a damaged box or an item missing one time.  The post office isn't always gentle with things.  I suppose it is the machinery and just general beating and banging during travel that does most of this stuff.  Little Spyderco probably just fell out somewhere.   
   My knife buddy got some Paragon automatics stolen out of UPS shipments.  One of the drivers was slicing open the bottom of the box and feeling around inside for goodies on his deliveries.  Then he would tape the box back up and deliver it.  They caught him and he lost a very good paying job. 
    I have never seen a site with such courtesy from the members.  The generosity is notable with Sherry right up there with the best.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :cheers:

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #910 on: May 23, 2024, 07:54:54 PM
I have some (legitimate, I believe) beefs with USPS and Canada Post (and a bunch of others from just about everywhere I've lived except Post NL in The Netherlands -- they were very very good). But USPS consistently and frequently damages my books. Aside from knives, I have a collection of historical linguistics texts related to my discipline and some have been damaged in absolutely remarkable ways. This is the handbook of Old Bulgarian (Old Church Slavonic), affectionately referred to as Der Leskien in Germany. This is the ninth edition from 1969 and a fantastic used copy of it. But when it arrived there was a puncture through both boxes it was packaged in and consequently through the spine of the book(!). I was furious and I called USPS who informed me that that may have been a test done by the customs agent to test whether there were 'substances' in the spine of the text. And I just couldn't help thinking like...can't they x-ray for that instead of stabbing a book?? This started happening frequently enough in different ways that I just have them sent to my family in EU and get them to bring them to me when they come to North America. Rant over.

* Der Leskien 00.jpg (Filesize: 46.74 KB)

* Der Leskien 01.jpg (Filesize: 21.35 KB)

* Der Leskien 02.jpg (Filesize: 73.88 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #911 on: May 23, 2024, 08:50:48 PM
As a book collector myself I hate to see that, but you must admit that somebody ordering a 1969 copy of the handbook of alternative Bulgarian speech published by Heidelberg University might arouse suspicion from a customs inspector more than the latest efforts of any modern popular author. :facepalm:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #912 on: May 23, 2024, 09:00:23 PM
The good part is no one would want to steal an Old Bulgarian grammar book so they could take it home to read.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #913 on: May 24, 2024, 01:38:17 AM
It's been stuck in Indianapolis for almost 48 hours. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow. :twak:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #914 on: May 24, 2024, 02:53:31 AM
  Egad!  No mail delivery Monday either.  Postal holiday.  Best wishes.  G
 :ahhh

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #915 on: May 24, 2024, 04:22:03 AM
Let's hope it makes it tomorrow. :mail:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #916 on: May 24, 2024, 05:03:45 AM
It's been stuck in Indianapolis for almost 48 hours. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow. :twak:

When I have tracked packages and this occurs, it either was redirected on another flight and will not be scanned again until that shipment is sort.

Remember your EESE, it went to Detroit then off to San Francisco or LA then was returned.

The cause is often poor bar code printing on shipping label, fuzzy usually, meaning printer needs cleaning.

May arrive middle of next week is my guess.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #917 on: May 24, 2024, 03:27:41 PM
The system got goofy. It's out for delivery as of this post...and my regular mail carrier is on duty this week! :woohoo:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #918 on: May 24, 2024, 03:52:06 PM
 :woohoo:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #919 on: May 25, 2024, 01:15:44 AM
Dang, that thing is heavy!

Mystery Box Weight Before.jpg
* Mystery Box Weight Before.jpg (Filesize: 72.65 KB)

Here's one thing that I awlmost immediately knew was a keeper: this little metal "emergency supplies" case.

Emergency Supplies Case (1).jpg
* Emergency Supplies Case (1).jpg (Filesize: 85.28 KB)

It's a great size for storing ID, credit, and gift cards that are important but rarely needed.

Emergency Supplies Case (2).jpg
* Emergency Supplies Case (2).jpg (Filesize: 110.12 KB)

Edit: there are a few things I'm still considering, both taking out and putting in. And speaking of considering, think about what you put in. Per a conversation with Grant Lamontagne, it's probably best to delve into specifics via PM.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #920 on: May 25, 2024, 01:25:59 AM
 And speaking of considering, think about what you put in. Per a conversation with Grant Lamontagne, it's probably best to delve into specifics via PM.

You lost me on that comment.  Might have to clarify.  Via PM if you wish, although I suspect I can't be the only one who doesn't know what you are talking about.  I like the little file case.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #921 on: May 25, 2024, 02:02:22 AM
You lost me on that comment.  Might have to clarify.  Via PM if you wish, although I suspect I can't be the only one who doesn't know what you are talking about.
After I sent you PM and (go figure) logged out, I figured out a better way to explain it. Asking the next in line if there are any knives and multis that are outright prohibited, or so heavily regulated that having one is a big hassle, couldn't hurt anything. I think AzteCypher has little worry there.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #922 on: May 25, 2024, 02:10:21 AM
That's a relief.  For a minute there, I thought there might be a rule against jack-a-lopes.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #923 on: May 25, 2024, 02:17:38 AM
Michigan has no prohibition on jackalopes that I'm aware of. That's far more likely in California. :D
USN 2000-2006

us Offline AzteCypher

• No Life Club
Reply #924 on: May 25, 2024, 06:28:58 AM
Whaaa...?!  Not allowed in Cali?!

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #925 on: May 25, 2024, 04:22:33 PM
I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. One can't keep a gerbil or a ferret over there.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #926 on: May 25, 2024, 08:19:52 PM
Mr. X, as a former smoker, I immediately pegged that emergency supplies case as a cigarette case. But I'm sure it can be used for other things (especially holding business cards) as well! 

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #927 on: May 25, 2024, 09:01:15 PM
I didn't think of that. It is just about the right size, but I am not going to buy a pack of cigarettes to test out how well it works for that purpose. My present means of getting nicotine is healthier (I hope) and cheaper.
USN 2000-2006

us Online Sos24

Reply #928 on: May 25, 2024, 11:40:49 PM
Dang, that thing is heavy!

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Just think this original started out as a small flat rate box, that you only had to add something if you took more than one item.  Now it is a packed medium box.  That is the reason, the rule of replacing items went away.  People her are so generous it keeps growing even though people keep taking.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #929 on: May 26, 2024, 12:19:29 AM
   I get a PM now and then where someone asks a question about the box.  Along with an answer, I always suggest that they read the posts that have been made already.  I think the Sos surprise box thread is one of the most interesting series on the site.  Who doesn't like surprise gifts? 
    We have so many members who never have signed on to take the box.  AT ALL.  I would think that curiosity would serve for more of our regular members to try something adventurous.  Most of us who have had the box, ask for it again just to see it move.  It has to circulate to keep the game going.  Best wishes.  Gary
This one's for you, Sherry.   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD