Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is this normal on a new Case amber bone gunstock?

comis · 27 · 2225

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Is this normal on a new Case amber bone gunstock?
on: August 19, 2023, 03:05:27 AM
Hi, all.

Just recently did the Case knives challenge with many and it was a truck load of fun, I went ahead and gotten myself more than a handful more amber bone Case knives and wanted to display them in a case. 

But a Case Gunstock came in with a bald patch around the center pin, and for a lack of a better word, would you call this a crack/chip/decolorization as blemish/defective? 

This knife is brand new directly came from a dealer, and I did put in specific request to look for any crack/chip/gap on scale when placing the order. 

I asked because I did pay the money to return it to the dealer, planning to get an exchange, but the dealer don't seem to acknowledge this as a crack(not sure we are just playing with words here, but personally I would think this as blemish or defective?)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 03:18:21 AM by comis »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Is this normal on a new Case amber bone gunstock?
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 03:45:53 AM
The high spots on either end were shaved down and appear white and I believe the smooth, white bit around the center pin is the same thing, just a high spot that was shaved down.  It wouldn't have bothered me, but if it bothers you then you absolutely should have asked for an exchange, and the dealer should provide such if he has a replacement available. :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 04:10:26 AM
The high spots on either end were shaved down and appear white and I believe the smooth, white bit around the center pin is the same thing, just a high spot that was shaved down.  It wouldn't have bothered me, but if it bothers you then you absolutely should have asked for an exchange, and the dealer should provide such if he has a replacement available. :cheers:
To be honest, it did bother me some since I was planning to display it along with other Amber bone together, and I honestly never see the same issue from all the online photos, and do feel this is not the norm. 

The dilemma is I have already shipped this back at my cost from oversea, and dealer said he did not "seem to find the crack". 

The dealer's return policy will only exchange if the product is 'defective'(which is fair), maybe this wouldn't qualified as a crack 'technically' but I do feel this may qualify as a blemish or defective? 

The same logic if this is a Caribbean blue bone, and there is a bald patch in the middle of a blue handle.  It probably wouldn't affect the function of the knife, but surely not desirable as a collectible.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:15:33 AM by comis »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 05:40:39 AM
As a user it wouldn't bother me but If bought to be displayed then yes I would have wanted to return or exchange it.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 06:42:14 AM
Agree with what has been said so far.  It is a cosmetic defect, though technically not a crack.  No big deal on a user, but not what you want for a display.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 07:04:44 AM
Thanks Steve and Nate, I too would agree it's a cosmetic defect, and hopefully the dealer could agree to this too. 

I would feel bummed out if the dealer wants to charge me restock or shipping fee, even after spending literally thousands over the years on them.(I know in grand scheme of things, maybe I am could be just an average joe to them, but it's still a hefty sum to me)  :dunno:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 07:43:30 AM
There's a miscommunication between you and the vendor.  It's not a crack but it is not perfect.  Whatever you might call this sort of blemish it is clearly there and apparent to anyone looking at it and the vendor should replace it for you.
I hope you can clear this up with the vendor.  Good luck with it. :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 03:05:24 PM
There's a miscommunication between you and the vendor.  It's not a crack but it is not perfect.  Whatever you might call this sort of blemish it is clearly there and apparent to anyone looking at it and the vendor should replace it for you.
I hope you can clear this up with the vendor.  Good luck with it. :cheers:

I have replied to the dealer's email and let's see how will they respond, and keep everyone posted.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 02:00:40 AM
I would call this a chip rather than a crack.  I agree that it's cosmetic and will not affect in use, but I personally would return it as well.
- Terry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 03:26:42 PM
I kind of like it, but agree that it should be exchangable.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 06:28:53 PM
I think I agree with Alan.  Looks like it has been dressed down to allow clearance for the pin.  A tiny smudge with a marker and it wouldn't be noticeable in a display.  I like it as it is personally.  Best wishes.  Gary

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 04:52:44 AM
After a week of waiting, I finally got a reply from DLT and not sure how best I should proceed. 

The customer service said the Case amber bone gunstock I sent back was the "best example of the ones" they have available, and suggesting a refund.  It'd be great if they had send me a few pictures, showing me some alternatives and allow me a chance to choose.  But no, all I get is just a plain email.

I am trying to weight out my options here:

1) I could take his words at face value ask for a refund, or

2) Try requesting a few photos on current stock, and ask them to ship me back the exchange.  This may ruffle some feathers, but earnestly, I also find it hard to believe the blemished knife is the best of all the examples from a big dealer.

3) Potentially request to wait for a 'better one' to arrive, then ask them to ship it via my next order.  Maybe a more pragmatic option, save them face and shipping cost(at least from option 2)

From my past experiences, once in a blue moon, there will be a dealer(not DLT) using this as a tactic to 'unload' a blemished knife/tool to an (international) customer, betting they won't return it due to shipping cost or return policy.  I do hate it when it happen and felt I really shouldn't indulge this kind of behavior if it does happen.

After being a loyal customer for past 10 years and 5 digits of ordering later, them being a well known dealer I would fathom this whole thing would easily been taken care of, but it is slightly disheartening from where I stand now.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2023, 07:34:21 PM
Have you thought about ringing them so you can talk "in person" ?  That might help resolve something which seems in part a communication problem.

Alternatively all their other stock may in fact be worse (a worrying thought).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 05:31:56 AM
DLT is a reputable outfit AFAIK.  I’ve ordered from them multiple times without issue, though I can’t recall having to return anything.

Moreover, why would any company deliberately risk the business of a good long-term customer to try to offload one knife with a cosmetic blemish?  That doesn’t really make sense to me.

Absent concrete evidence to the contrary, I would believe they are telling the truth that they sent you the best one they had.

I agree with the suggestion to give them a call to discuss.  Even a phone call can make a personal connection that email just can’t.  That would also be an opportunity to ask about what else they have in stock, and see if one of the others suits your fancy better (even though the dealer may have rated it lower than the one they sent you).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 05:50:37 PM
Thanks to the replies!

To initiate the return process, I actually did call them and the conversation went well, and I felt quite confident the process should be pretty smooth.  Not until I got the email claiming they didn't see the "crack" (let's just call it a cosmetic defect or blemish), I thought to myself luckily I did keep the unboxing video and few shots of the knife before sending it back, otherwise, it may become my words against their words sorta deal.

To be honest, I am genuinely grateful to DLT for all these years of service, and their shipping is fast and overall I am a happy returning customer to say the least.  I only returned knives twice, first is CRK with a slight uneven grind and this is the second one.

I think my dilemma comes with the high cost of international shipping, and this is probably not new to many international customers. 

Most trackable services from States(to me) starts ~40usd, and some dealer may even charge the range of 60-70usd (especially if the dealer is leveraging on GEC popularity).  The return shipping is cheaper from my side, around 15-20usd.  But long story short, everything will depend on the return policy and whether the dealer is willing to help minimize the chance for return. 

In DLT case, they will not cover return shipping domestic or international, unless wrong item was sent to a customer.  "Defective" item may covers shipping back from DLT, but it probably is subject to interpretation.

That is the reason why I've always put in detailed request each time to try to mitigate this situation from happening, and knowing Case brand, I quit requesting on blade centering/blade rub/even grind, but only trying to request for scale inspection and spring evenness. 

Anyhow, I do understand we are all human and do understand things not always happening the way we want.  Sorry for the long rant, I will try calling and see where this land, I too have learnt a lesson here about ordering/return and do thank you for all the helpful support and posts.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 06:49:02 AM
That is the reason why I've always put in detailed request each time to try to mitigate this situation from happening, and knowing Case brand, I quit requesting on blade centering/blade rub/even grind, but only trying to request for scale inspection and spring evenness.

My go-to phrase is “Check F&F and W&T before shipping.”  It has worked pretty well so far, as long as I remember to enter it.

I can’t recall which dealer she was with, but I even had a very pleasant lady call me for an explanation once because she was familiar with F&F but wasn’t sure what I meant by W&T.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 05:04:08 AM
My go-to phrase is “Check F&F and W&T before shipping.”  It has worked pretty well so far, as long as I remember to enter it.

I can’t recall which dealer she was with, but I even had a very pleasant lady call me for an explanation once because she was familiar with F&F but wasn’t sure what I meant by W&T.

That's knife enthusiast talk :D, and I think if the customer rep is a "knife person", he/she will definitely understand where this is coming from.

I too always put in the message, but usually more elaborate just in case whomever reading may not understand the terminology, but for Case knives, I wouldn't ask to check for blade rub/play/centering/grind evenness, and mostly concentrate on scale material(no crack/chip/gap).

I did give DLT a call, and asked about the current stock conditions.  I was told they all suffered some form of blade play, centering, crack, etc. 

So I proposed option 3) which I will wait until a good sample to come, and have it shipped out along with my next order from them.  That way, no one need to agonizing over the shipping, and will give them ample time to find a copy that's decent. 

I will get in touch with them again in two weeks time, hopefully I could score a copy and continue with the collecting.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 05:44:43 AM
Sounds like a good solution   :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 01:11:56 PM
Sorry to hear about this. That would totally freak me out, even if it were to be a user. I guess you awl knew that, right?

:facepalm:

As per options, I'd go with options 2) + 3):

2) Try requesting a few photos on current stock, and ask them to ship me back the exchange.
3) Potentially request to wait for a 'better one' to arrive, then ask them to ship it via my next order.

"Let me see what you have. If I find one I'm OK with, ship it in my next order. If I don't find one, I'll wait until you receive a better one and you can ship it with my next order."

At the same time, remind them of being a loyal customer for past 10 years and 5 digits of ordering. If you can explain this through phone, it may convey the message better and get to a good result.

Hope it works out in the end, good luck!

:cheers: :salute:

Edit: just saw your final option, I think it's a good one.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2023, 04:00:20 PM
Sounds like a good solution   :tu:
:cheers:

Sorry to hear about this. That would totally freak me out, even if it were to be a user. I guess you awl knew that, right?

:facepalm:

As per options, I'd go with options 2) + 3):

2) Try requesting a few photos on current stock, and ask them to ship me back the exchange.
3) Potentially request to wait for a 'better one' to arrive, then ask them to ship it via my next order.

"Let me see what you have. If I find one I'm OK with, ship it in my next order. If I don't find one, I'll wait until you receive a better one and you can ship it with my next order."

At the same time, remind them of being a loyal customer for past 10 years and 5 digits of ordering. If you can explain this through phone, it may convey the message better and get to a good result.

Hope it works out in the end, good luck!

:cheers: :salute:

Edit: just saw your final option, I think it's a good one.

:tu: :tu:
Honestly, that would be a nice option to have. 

Sometimes I do feel the need to balance what I would like(check everything 100% with scrutiny) vs realistically what the dealer is willing to do for me. 

Afterall it is a 'request', and if I were to swap position with a customer rep and think like one, they are probably trying to fill the orders as quick as possible, while trying to honor these request best way they can. 

Hence I am willing to wait on this a bit, it'd be great if they could go back to have look at the inventory again, or awaiting new samples to come in, I leave the ball on their court and trust that they would value a loyal customer in return. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 12:26:57 PM
New twist, I made the call third time after two weeks, and talked to Jordan on the phone.  He said he had a decent Case amber bone gunstock in-stock, but with minor gaps at the spring(only visible with flashlight).  That is totally fine with me, and he further agreed it might be prudent to send me pictures via email, so the exchange could go smoothly.

After waiting for few more days, no picture was sent in.  I placed in another new order anyway, trusting they would honor the exchange. 

I specifically listed out all the details in the comment section--mentioning the phone call/email with Jordan, the RMA exchange number and if they have any question at all, please withholding the shipping and feel free to email to clarify....

Got the package today, no exchange knife was included.  Talk about disappointment.

Someone even signed off at the comment section, which I assumed he/she should have read it.  Why is the whole return process so complicated or difficult?   I even double down with a new order, so they don't need to pay any shipping. (it is cheaper and easier for them to do the exchange, no shipping cost to them at all)  Basically I felt like I am being coerced to accept the refund at this point, and not sure I could count on them to execute the exchange.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for reading this.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 05:58:19 PM
Seems like folks just want to make things more difficult than they need to be.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 08:22:17 PM
(message deleted, I used to have another long rant here but just gotten a refund on that exchange knife from DLT)

Kudos to DLT and Jordan for the refund, finally could draw the curtain on this one, it's been much longer than I expected.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 08:37:17 PM by comis »

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2023, 03:03:21 AM
It's great that you've finally got it sorted out.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 12, 2023, 01:48:22 PM
I'm glad to hear that you have got this issue resolved even although it took so long !     :tu:

How's the replacement knife ?  How about some pics  :pok:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2023, 03:49:44 PM
I have always had good service from DLT.  They are one of my faves. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2023, 08:08:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that you have got this issue resolved even although it took so long !     :tu:

How's the replacement knife ?  How about some pics  :pok:
Unfortunately, it was a refund, so no replacement knife to show.  I still need to hunt one down someday. :facepalm:

I have always had good service from DLT.  They are one of my faves.  (Image removed from quote.)
They do ship pretty fast, and I do appreciate them being pretty consistent over the years.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%