Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i anybody still watching Alone?

styx · 39 · 1113

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
i anybody still watching Alone?
on: January 31, 2024, 09:49:38 PM
Rather than trying to find the old thread and doing some funky necromancy on it, this might be a better way to bring that show up again.

I stopped watching during the 4th season and have recently gotten an itch to check it out again. To my surprise it has quite a few more seasons and looking into it a bit deeper there is a trend of people choosing MTs over the more traditional stuff.

Has anybody else noticed this? Is anybody still watching? Am I beating a dead horse with this topic?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline Echotech

Re: i anybody still watching Alone?
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 02:24:04 AM
I’ve just finished season 9 and really enjoyed it. Definitely agree re the trend of having a MT instead of a dedicated knife….makes sense when you’re only allowed 10 items

Going to start season 10 soon

:cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 03:30:58 AM
I don't think anyone has done the show without a pliers based tool since that one girl had to tap out after getting a fishing hook through her finger.  Sorry if you haven't seen that yet but I don't remember which season that happened in.  What is interesting to me is the choice of tools.  It started out that the Leatherman Surge was the overwhelming favorite.  Later I observed at least one Super Tool 300, one Swiss Tool and one Spirit, and then, in the last season it looked like about everyone had a Leatherman Free P4.  The P4 was so prevalent that I began to suspect that Leatherman had sponsored the show and given one to each contestant.  I'm looking forward to the next season.

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 10:11:19 PM
no worries about spoilers.

got the same feeling about the Surge, but haven't caught anyone with a Swisstool yet. Season 3 winner did have a Spirit and a CS shovel which was unusual at that point.
haven't checked Australia yet but maybe they aren't as Leatherman heavy in their selection.

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 10:14:18 PM
The MT has become a go to tool for many.  I have kept up with the series from the start and continue to enjoy it. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 12:55:36 AM
I wouldn’t worry too much about the Aussie version tbh, wasn’t a patch on the US version which was a big shame as I was really looking forward to it. Hopefully S2 is better

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 01:40:31 AM
I hope the Aussie one will get better.  I watched as much as I could but it was such a different format.  It was interesting but I guess I was too used to the original Alone. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 02:29:30 AM
:iagree:

Apart from the format differences, I was hoping for them to go to the outback or rainforest of north Queensland….or on a personal note the Blue Mountains behind Sydney as I’m really interested in how to survive in my local environment

Tasmania is definitely very wild and rugged and a great choice for wilderness but less relatable to most Aussies I think :think: :dunno: as it’s quite sparsely populated (as is Alaska and Northern Canada for that matter I suppose) but maybe that’s just me. It did mean it was cold like US Alone though

A lot of the contestants didn’t seem to have watched “proper” Alone and therefore didn’t understand how hard it would be, it was a bit disappointing tbh

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 04:56:13 AM
I still follow Alone and noticed the MT thing.

Given the limited options and the potential to scavenge scrap, it's honestly one of the best options to have. Thought exercises with the potential items to take is always a fun game, though some items on the list are just utterly confusing.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 08:46:53 PM
I also watch Alone when it is around. They even had a UK version last year. The difference was striking. It seemed like some of the UK ones hadn't watched the show before. They also had a Norwegian run some years ago which also seemed less extreme. (Most worthy winner though).

Given the limited options and the potential to scavenge scrap, it's honestly one of the best options to have. Thought exercises with the potential items to take is always a fun game, though some items on the list are just utterly confusing.

Where can the list be seen?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 11:01:18 PM
Here’s a list of the standard items and their specifications:

1 pair of gaiters
    1 pair of waterproof Arctic winter boots
    1 fleece/wool shirt
    2 pairs of thermal underwear
    1 Waterproof un-insulated shell/Jacket or un-insulated, windproof anorak
    2 hats (brimmed, wool, fur, arctic, or baseball)
    1 pair of eyeglasses
    2 pairs of underwear/briefs
    1 pair of high-leg hunting boots
    1 Insulated Parka-style Jacket or Anorak-style Jacket. No system-style or multi-layer jackets.
    6 pairs of wool socks
    1 leather belt
    2 wool, fleece or cotton sweaters
    1 T-shirt
    4 pairs of gloves
    2 pair of bushcraft pants/bibs (can unzip into shorts)
    1 shemagh OR scarf
    2 buffs or neck gaiter
    1 personal photograph
    1 toothbrush
    1 pair of fully insulated or waterproof winter pants/bibs
    1 hiking or bushcraft backpack

Shelter/Hygiene

Ground cover cloth or tarp (12×12 max) – See our guide to the best bushcraft tarps for some options.
    8-mm climbing rope (10 meters max)
    550 Paracord (80 meters max) – an essential part of my bushcraft gear.
    1 sleeping bag
    3-mm cotton cord (40 meters max; must be non-waxed)
    1 sleeping pad
    1 bivy bag
    1 bar of soap
    1 hammock (See our Haven Tent Hammock Review)
    1 tube of toothpaste (8 oz)
    1 shaving razor
    1 face flannel
    Dental floss (40 mm)
    1 small bio shower soap
    1 towel
    1 comb
    1 shaving razor

Cooking & Food

1 roll of single-filament fish line up to 20 lbs weight test (300 yards) and 35 barbless hooks
    1 primitive recurve bow (or longbow) and 9 arrows
    1 small gill net
    1 net foraging bag
    2 lbs of trapping wire
    1 slingshot, 30 ball bearings, and 1 replacement band
    Various Emergency Rations (type and amount vary each season)
    3 lbs of one solid salt block
    1 large pot
    1 steel frying pan (no more than 2 quarts)
    1 flint or Ferro rod (or equivalent)
    1 enamel bowl for eating
    1 spoon

Furthermore, participants cannot take more than two food selections.

Tools/ Weapons/ Other

1 pocket knife (four-inch blade max)
    1 hunting knife
    1 survival multi-tool (or similar)
    1 sharpening stone
    1 roll of duct tape
    1 small shovel
    1 small sewing kit
    1 carabiner
    1 LED flashlight or headlamp (no batteries)
    50 feet of hose (no more than 1 inch in diameter)
    Machete
    Axe
    Adze
    2-Hand draw knife
    Scotch-eyed auger
    Pair of ice spikes

Taken from the following post https://survivalstoic.com/alone-gear-list/
A possibly more clear list can be found here https://elementbushcraft.com/alone-survival-gear-list-and-prohibited-items/

Found an analysis of the frequency of gear on https://survivalskills.guide/alone-gear-list/
basically MTs went from being taken twice in the first season to 8 times in season 7 and 8

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 12:29:37 AM
Thanks! Some curious options there which I assume have never been chosen. I might have been tempted by the sugar salt mix which I don't I've ever seen in action?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 10:37:24 PM
not sure we also saw a sharpening stone, which would have been quite logical in the earlier seasons

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2024, 10:39:17 PM
not sure we also saw a sharpening stone, which would have been quite logical in the earlier seasons

I read this as you're not sure if there was a sharpening stone seen in the show yet, there was at least one in the earlier seasons (the guy that spoke about stabbing a bear in the face and left to be with his terminally ill mother.

Otherwise we've seen some contestants use river stones to sharpen blades, and some have at least spoken about using MT files for that, though I'm not sure if footage was shown.

One thing I've noticed is that when someone takes a food item, they don't really show it being used. I don't know if that's the contestant not filming it, or the editors leaving it out for tension reasons. I had no idea how Sam from season 1 was doing so well given his strategy, turns out he had rations as an item it just wasn't shown.

I think someone that packs on fat for the occasion and takes some food in could probably make it into the top 5 contestants pretty easily from a nutrition standpoint.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 12:49:39 AM
damn you have good memory

sharpeners were taken 3 times. 2 in season 1 and 1 in season 3

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2024, 01:06:02 AM
My thinking with the sugar and salt option is that they are both versatile beyond direct nutrition as such. (Although enough salt can be hard to come by at some locations).

Both can help preserve various other foods. Sugar can be used for dressing wounds if needed. Salt has some use as bad tasting toothpaste, although I guess contestants might get that anyway.

More importantly though, maybe especially in covered winter conditions, is that many animals and birds are eagerly looking for salt. Around here we got everything from grouse via reindeer and elk seeking out salt, and happily staying put and licking if they find it. So basically bait to ease hunting or snaring.

On the same basis I would collect grass and greenery while it is around before snows hits. Any greenery put out after the snow cover will be attractive. (My grandfather used to put out dried grass in the winter for hares, and he would have a few checking in every each day).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 04:05:52 PM
 :like:

I'm a city fella so I have no business on Alone  :D.  Everything you say does make a lot of sense and its interesting we've not seen that done.     
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 09:05:50 PM
honestly never thought about it that way.

so Vidar, now the question is what would be your 10 items?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2024, 03:13:20 AM
so Vidar, now the question is what would be your 10 items?

Ok, I'll play. It is difficult though and just 10 items would require some hard prioritizing. Assuming they get to know the location up front, and that it is arctic at some level but still with at least small trees and not permafrost. (Only environment I have a grain of an idea about).

I think of those 10 items at least 3 are a given.
  • Sleeping bag
  • Pot
  • Ferro rod
For shelter I would be looking to dig in deep. And keep it small and tight to make it easier to warm. I'd look for a natural spot with 2-3 three sides sloping enough to be made into thick natural walls to reduce digging and help with wind proofing and insulation. To help with the shelter I'd go with:
  • Axe
  • Paracord (also for making a gill net)
- and that pot better have a shape or lid that can help with digging. 

Food is crucial and locations seems to be unpredictable. So I'd try to be versatile and include:
  • Trapping wire
  • Primitive bow with arrows
  • Fishing line and hooks
And given the post above I would have include the sugar and salt to try that. And of course a multi-tool! :D
  • Sugar and salt
  • Multitool
(Of those not chosen pemmican food pack, saw, shovel and ground tarp seemed very tempting).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2024, 04:19:41 AM
Ok, I'll play. It is difficult though and just 10 items would require some hard prioritizing. Assuming they get to know the location up front, and that it is arctic at some level but still with at least small trees and not permafrost. (Only environment I have a grain of an idea about).

I think of those 10 items at least 3 are a given.
  • Sleeping bag
  • Pot
  • Ferro rod
For shelter I would be looking to dig in deep. And keep it small and tight to make it easier to warm. I'd look for a natural spot with 2-3 three sides sloping enough to be made into thick natural walls to reduce digging and help with wind proofing and insulation. To help with the shelter I'd go with:
  • Axe
  • Paracord (also for making a gill net)
- and that pot better have a shape or lid that can help with digging. 

Food is crucial and locations seems to be unpredictable. So I'd try to be versatile and include:
  • Trapping wire
  • Primitive bow with arrows
  • Fishing line and hooks
And given the post above I would have include the sugar and salt to try that. And of course a multi-tool! :D
  • Sugar and salt
  • Multitool
(Of those not chosen pemmican food pack, saw, shovel and ground tarp seemed very tempting).

You know you can't just say 'multitool' so vaguely on here, come on, which one would you take  :pok:

What season was the sugar and salt mix from? I only remember the salt as a single item, a guy in one of the more recent seasons had a massive chunk of himalayan salt he'd shave with a knife.

*Salt is a good choice imo, there was one woman that started eating her own snot to preserve electrolytes.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2024, 04:57:04 AM
You know you can't just say 'multitool' so vaguely on here, come on, which one would you take  :pok:

I'd bring my own design if that is allowed. Actually, come to think of it I'd consider making a special one for Alone with less emphasis on portability and more on the tool side. Brain droppings: Maybe some 14-16 cm long or so. Long sturdy knife blades, big saw, small knife blade for whittling spoons and what not, pliers, tweezers, long awl, wood shaver, sewing needle, surgical blade, magnifying glass, possibly scissors, easy to clean. No bit drivers, wine openers, pens or stuff urban stuff like that. I wonder if one can work in a fixed size round bolt cutting function too? (Matching the big awl sized hole). For wood assembly and possibly round arrows.

What season was the sugar and salt mix from? I only remember the salt as a single item, a guy in one of the more recent seasons had a massive chunk of himalayan salt he'd shave with a knife.

I just followed one of Styx links, Elemental Bushcraft I think, and it was an option. No idea what season that list was from.

*Salt is a good choice imo, there was one woman that started eating her own snot to preserve electrolytes.

Does that work? I would imagine electrolytes leave the body other places...?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 08, 2024, 03:58:08 AM
*SPOILER ALERT*

Being somewhat of a data guy, I couldn’t resist analyzing what the winners of each of the first ten seasons took.  Again, this is only looking at winners, not all participants or the average participant.  I think there are some interesting insights:

100% of the winners took an axe or hatchet.  Individual choices varied from smaller hatchets to larger axes.

100% of the winners took a saw.  Individual choices varied from folding pack/bushcraft saws to large crosscut saws.  Note that these are all dedicated saws; smaller MT saws are not counted here.

90% of winners took a ferro rod.  There are of course more primitive ways to start a fire, but the ferro rod is so much faster and easier that almost all participants thought it merited a spot in their gear.

90% of winners took a pot, primarily for boiling water and cooking food.  The one winner who did not take a pot opted for a frying pan instead.

90% of winners took a sleeping bag.  Seems like a clear choice to me.

80% selected snare wire.

80% selected a fishing kit.  With the amount of line and number of hooks included for a single item, as well as the relative success some participants have had fishing, this seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.

80% of winners took a MT.  It is worth noting that the season 1 & season 2 winners were the two who did not take a MT, so no one has won without a MT in the last 8 seasons.  Personally, I would go with a LM Surge.  It’s a heavy duty PBMT, and the removable diamond file could be used to keep all blades sharp, including those on the Surge itself.

60% chose paracord.  For something that many consider a bushcraft/survival mainstay, I was a bit surprised this number wasn’t higher.

60% chose a bow & arrows.  My initial inclination was to be a bit skeptical of this choice, considering it to offer a somewhat low probability of significant success.  Only three contestants have managed to take down a large animal, but when they do, it is a game changer; all three ended up winning their seasons.  Also, some contestants have managed to take smaller game.

So, if we’re picking by the numbers, our ten items would be:
- Axe or Hatchet
- Saw (dedicated saw, larger than MT size)
- Ferro Rod
- Pot
- Sleeping Bag
- Snare Wire
- Fishing Kit (line + hooks)
- MT
- Paracord
- Bow & Arrows

Less commonly selected items…

40% of winners took a gill net.

30% took a fixed blade knife (and only one of these was after the first two seasons).  I thought this was interesting, considering a fixed blade is often regarded as a survival/bushcraft staple.  I believe the moral of the story is that, if you have a large MT with a couple of blades, a saw, and a hatchet or axe, you are pretty well set for cutting whatever needs to be cut without the fixed blade.  In contrast, if you only get one cutting tool to do everything (e.g. Naked and Afraid) from shelter building to fire prep and maintenance to food prep, then a large and heavy fixed blade knife is probably your best option.

Direct consumption food items were not commonly chosen.  Only two of the winners took emergency rations, and just one winner took two pounds of flour and two pounds of trail mix.  I suspect this is because the quantity of food offered is quite small relative to what will be needed to complete the challenge.  A typical food item from the list is 2-3 pounds, and contestants are not allowed to take more than two direct consumption food items.  This is a drop in the bucket when you consider that Alone contestants have had to survive anywhere from 56 to 100 days in the wild in order to win their seasons.  The calculus could of course change if larger quantities of food were offered as items (e.g. 50 pounds of _____ as one item), but I don’t foresee that happening.

As noted above, one winner took a frying pan in lieu of the much more popular pot.

I might have seriously considered a 12’ x 12’ tarp, but only one winner selected this, so it clearly isn’t critical.

I might have seriously considered a small shovel, but again, only one winner chose this, so not vital to success.

One winner took the slingshot, which also comes with 30 BBs and a replacement band.  This was back in season 3.

One winner took a bivy bag.  He also selected a sleeping bag.  I understand the general use of bivy bags, but with the strict limit on number of items allowed I’m not sure I follow the logic here.

One winner took a canteen, and this was all the way back in season 1.  If the challenge were to hike from point A to point B, then I could understand this choice.  Or if he chose a large, wide mouth, all metal canteen in lieu of a pot maybe, but he selected a pot as well.  With the challenge being basically to live at a fixed campsite for as long as possible, I don’t really understand this choice.

I used the lists of items from this article:
https://survivalstoic.com/alone-gear-list/

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2024, 05:18:53 AM
I'd bring my own design if that is allowed. Actually, come to think of it I'd consider making a special one for Alone with less emphasis on portability and more on the tool side. Brain droppings: Maybe some 14-16 cm long or so. Long sturdy knife blades, big saw, small knife blade for whittling spoons and what not, pliers, tweezers, long awl, wood shaver, sewing needle, surgical blade, magnifying glass, possibly scissors, easy to clean. No bit drivers, wine openers, pens or stuff urban stuff like that. I wonder if one can work in a fixed size round bolt cutting function too? (Matching the big awl sized hole). For wood assembly and possibly round arrows.

I just followed one of Styx links, Elemental Bushcraft I think, and it was an option. No idea what season that list was from.

Does that work? I would imagine electrolytes leave the body other places...?

It doesn't really work, you could never make a meaningful dent in electrolyte loss like that. It was more an act of desperation from someone running on fumes.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 05:25:28 AM
Interesting statistics. That top 10 is actually very close to the list I made - basically I prioritized sugar and salt over a saw. Which again had its reasons. I think one would do ok without a saw for a dug down shelter. And I would prefer a dug down shelter in arctic conditions. One worry would be that the risk of injury would be higher when having to use an axe for everything.

There was a winner without a sleeping bag? What was considered more important?

While a somewhat sane choice of items is important I think the show has shown over the seasons that the knowledge, mindset and grit of the people makes most of the difference. (There is always some random happenstance for better and worse which is beyond anyone's control). I think most of the participant do very well indeed with most hanging on for several weeks or even months. I suspect some of the winners could have lasted quite a bit longer too if needed.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 05:27:02 AM
It doesn't really work, you could never make a meaningful dent in electrolyte loss like that. It was more an act of desperation from someone running on fumes.

Yes, that sounded like it. By I tried to keep an open mind and ask!  :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 05:40:17 AM
*SPOILER ALERT*

Being somewhat of a data guy, I couldn’t resist analyzing what the winners of each of the first ten seasons took.  Again, this is only looking at winners, not all participants or the average participant.  I think there are some interesting insights:

100% of the winners took an axe or hatchet.  Individual choices varied from smaller hatchets to larger axes.

100% of the winners took a saw.  Individual choices varied from folding pack/bushcraft saws to large crosscut saws.  Note that these are all dedicated saws; smaller MT saws are not counted here.

90% of winners took a ferro rod.  There are of course more primitive ways to start a fire, but the ferro rod is so much faster and easier that almost all participants thought it merited a spot in their gear.

90% of winners took a pot, primarily for boiling water and cooking food.  The one winner who did not take a pot opted for a frying pan instead.

90% of winners took a sleeping bag.  Seems like a clear choice to me.

80% selected snare wire.

80% selected a fishing kit.  With the amount of line and number of hooks included for a single item, as well as the relative success some participants have had fishing, this seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.

80% of winners took a MT.  It is worth noting that the season 1 & season 2 winners were the two who did not take a MT, so no one has won without a MT in the last 8 seasons.  Personally, I would go with a LM Surge.  It’s a heavy duty PBMT, and the removable diamond file could be used to keep all blades sharp, including those on the Surge itself.

60% chose paracord.  For something that many consider a bushcraft/survival mainstay, I was a bit surprised this number wasn’t higher.

60% chose a bow & arrows.  My initial inclination was to be a bit skeptical of this choice, considering it to offer a somewhat low probability of significant success.  Only three contestants have managed to take down a large animal, but when they do, it is a game changer; all three ended up winning their seasons.  Also, some contestants have managed to take smaller game.

So, if we’re picking by the numbers, our ten items would be:
- Axe or Hatchet
- Saw (dedicated saw, larger than MT size)
- Ferro Rod
- Pot
- Sleeping Bag
- Snare Wire
- Fishing Kit (line + hooks)
- MT
- Paracord
- Bow & Arrows

Less commonly selected items…

40% of winners took a gill net.

30% took a fixed blade knife (and only one of these was after the first two seasons).  I thought this was interesting, considering a fixed blade is often regarded as a survival/bushcraft staple.  I believe the moral of the story is that, if you have a large MT with a couple of blades, a saw, and a hatchet or axe, you are pretty well set for cutting whatever needs to be cut without the fixed blade.  In contrast, if you only get one cutting tool to do everything (e.g. Naked and Afraid) from shelter building to fire prep and maintenance to food prep, then a large and heavy fixed blade knife is probably your best option.

Direct consumption food items were not commonly chosen.  Only two of the winners took emergency rations, and just one winner took two pounds of flour and two pounds of trail mix.  I suspect this is because the quantity of food offered is quite small relative to what will be needed to complete the challenge.  A typical food item from the list is 2-3 pounds, and contestants are not allowed to take more than two direct consumption food items.  This is a drop in the bucket when you consider that Alone contestants have had to survive anywhere from 56 to 100 days in the wild in order to win their seasons.  The calculus could of course change if larger quantities of food were offered as items (e.g. 50 pounds of _____ as one item), but I don’t foresee that happening.

As noted above, one winner took a frying pan in lieu of the much more popular pot.

I might have seriously considered a 12’ x 12’ tarp, but only one winner selected this, so it clearly isn’t critical.

I might have seriously considered a small shovel, but again, only one winner chose this, so not vital to success.

One winner took the slingshot, which also comes with 30 BBs and a replacement band.  This was back in season 3.

One winner took a bivy bag.  He also selected a sleeping bag.  I understand the general use of bivy bags, but with the strict limit on number of items allowed I’m not sure I follow the logic here.

One winner took a canteen, and this was all the way back in season 1.  If the challenge were to hike from point A to point B, then I could understand this choice.  Or if he chose a large, wide mouth, all metal canteen in lieu of a pot maybe, but he selected a pot as well.  With the challenge being basically to live at a fixed campsite for as long as possible, I don’t really understand this choice.

I used the lists of items from this article:
https://survivalstoic.com/alone-gear-list/

Very interesting! Some thoughts on items:

Frying pan: I just, I don't get people that do this. It's so much worse than a pot when you need to boil water/boil foods. There was one season where a guy was boiling water in one and promptly spilt it everywhere due to the large footprint of the pan.

MT: The Surge is a great choice, but a Signal would be interesting if you could keep the parts built in, since it gives you a sharpener (and ferro? i don't remember)

Paracord: This saw a lower turnout than expected due to the restricted item list and interplay of items, I'll talk more about this below.

Bow and arrows: Yeah this is mostly small game, though they all have ambitions of big game. One thing that always confused me is why people don't proactively make more arrows with their abundant amount of time. Instead it's normally 'I missed! My precious arrow!'

Direct consumption foods: I think this is actually a potentially really successful item, but people just tend not to take it. A combination of fattening up, reserve rations, and purposeful fasting would probably be very successful, there are contestants that got really far or even one using one of them. Mixing them would be very effective, just probably not the most interesting TV.

Tarp: It's worth noting that the item choices are not the sum total of the contestants equipment. They're often given items deemed necessary for their location, such as a bear bag and heavy rope. There was a tarp in this position for multiple seasons iirc, but definitely at least one of the first ones on the rainy island.

Canteen: I can see plenty of value in this. Being able to carry safe water with you allows for ranging further afield, it can be used as a hot water bottle, and generally as a water reservoir. Mutliple people complained about having to constantly boil water to drink, a canteen would reduce time/energy/mental toll of this. Whether all of that is worth an item slot is obviously debatable, but there are tangible benefits.

Interplay of items:

The limited list has the effect of getting the most out of every item. Paracord is highly regarded as a good choice of cordage, the relatively low selection isn't a commentary on paracord being substandard or not necessary, instead it's more about fishing line and snare wire being used as cordage alternatives to maximise item slots. Same as when people don't choose a gill net but make one from paracord guts instead. There was one contestant who even opted to destroy a corded style sweater to make cordage (which turned out badly).

This also applies to a knife, a fixed blade knife is obviously preferred to a MT for these challenges, but due to the restrictions it's more a case of getting by with the MT blades. Realistically, I think most people would probably take a knife and MT given the opportunity.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 08, 2024, 01:29:13 PM
Canteen: I can see plenty of value in this. Being able to carry safe water with you allows for ranging further afield, it can be used as a hot water bottle, and generally as a water reservoir. Mutliple people complained about having to constantly boil water to drink, a canteen would reduce time/energy/mental toll of this. Whether all of that is worth an item slot is obviously debatable, but there are tangible benefits.

Boiling water didn't even cross my mind as I assumed these locations were supposed to be way off in the wild. I guess that shows my blind spots from assuming similar conditions elsewhere. Over here I'd happily drink water in big lakes or any running water unless near or downhill from agriculture or animal herding. Likewise we drink tap water without issue. Maybe some locations have known bacteria issues? (I remember when the shops started selling bottled water to tourists around here in the 90s. Back then we thought that was both crazy and funny, but tourists of course didn't know or trust the water and thus there was a market).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 09:51:27 PM
dang, that was one hell of an analysis.

to me, snare wire would be more useful as a building material than actually for snaring. I have a feeling that in earlier  seasons participants had a bit more unpredictability in some of their choices. we had a guy with a kukri, with a shovel, etc.
now there are 3 brands of saws from what I saw, 1 for multitools, maybe 2 if someone does take a fixed blade. even pots are mostly all universal, though that could probably be tied to having to cover up brand names and logos.

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 12:06:59 AM
Boiling water didn't even cross my mind as I assumed these locations were supposed to be way off in the wild. I guess that shows my blind spots from assuming similar conditions elsewhere. Over here I'd happily drink water in big lakes or any running water unless near or downhill from agriculture or animal herding. Likewise we drink tap water without issue. Maybe some locations have known bacteria issues? (I remember when the shops started selling bottled water to tourists around here in the 90s. Back then we thought that was both crazy and funny, but tourists of course didn't know or trust the water and thus there was a market).

Generally speaking, they are way off and the water would usually be safe to drink. That said, it is best practice to boil water to avoid things like giardia.

The way I see it is this: Les Stroud (Survivorman) takes the same stance as you do here, if it's fresh, clear, and flowing it's most likely safe to drink. That said, the man has also gotten giardia multiple times in his life for that attitude and whilst it's a very unlikely, would you want to be the guy that lost out on $500,000 for not doing something so basic and well known?

There was also a guy, somewhat spoilery but I'm not going to identify him or the season, who tapped due to what he thought was just being sad. Turns out he had a parasite attacking his heart he got somewhere out there. Doing every little thing you can to mitigate risks is worthwhile, even if the odds are small when so much is on the line imo.

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2024, 12:11:03 AM
dang, that was one hell of an analysis.

to me, snare wire would be more useful as a building material than actually for snaring. I have a feeling that in earlier  seasons participants had a bit more unpredictability in some of their choices. we had a guy with a kukri, with a shovel, etc.
now there are 3 brands of saws from what I saw, 1 for multitools, maybe 2 if someone does take a fixed blade. even pots are mostly all universal, though that could probably be tied to having to cover up brand names and logos.

This is mostly true, but we still get some wildcards. Like a couple seasons back one guy had a big ol' lumber saw you'd expect in a cartoon.

Something that contestants have done is collectively settle on certain types of items (though there is variety, like some people prefer a cast iron pot over stainless), but look to try and get advantages in other ways. Like packing clothes specifically with a mind to destroy them for resources, which has been one of the more interesting elements of the show imo.

And boats. I had no idea boats would take off as such a big thing, who the hell aspires to build a boat in these situations and succeeds? Skillful insanity.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%