Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Sog?

Fred · 72 · 13293

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: New Sog?
Reply #60 on: February 03, 2007, 10:37:10 PM
So how exactly does the "SOG Assisted Technology" actually open the blades? Does this little lever have anything to do with it?
SOG lever.jpg
* SOG lever.jpg (Filesize: 75.26 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: February 03, 2007, 10:40:47 PM
Oops, or is that lever maybe the blade lock release?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #62 on: February 03, 2007, 10:51:46 PM
It's a torsion bar, similar to the assisted opening models by Kershaw.  It hold the blade closed until the blade is opened about 5 degrees, then the spring takes over and snaps it open the rest of the way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: February 04, 2007, 10:01:36 AM
Oops, or is that lever maybe the blade lock release?
I think your right. I have a Flash 2 that use SOGs SAT opening. The lock at the front is to unlock the blade and close it. While the red one on the end of the knife near the pocket clip is to lock the blade closed. So it doesn't get assisted opened in your pocket :o. The SAT opening works really good it's like having a switch blade.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 23.2 KB)
"

Offline damota

Reply #64 on: February 04, 2007, 04:43:05 PM

I think your right. I have a Flash 2 that use SOGs SAT opening. The lock at the front is to unlock the blade and close it. While the red one on the end of the knife near the pocket clip is to lock the blade closed. So it doesn't get assisted opened in your pocket :o. The SAT opening works really good it's like having a switch blade.

Surely that's what these are, a version of a flick knife. I seem to remember CRKT were taken to court over their M16 knives and the definition of a flick knife given was a blade that opens by a spring or gravity. CRKT won the case because the flipper was neither a spring nor could it be used just by gravity.
So are these things classed as illegal in states that flick knives are deemed illegal?
I know I would not dare to own one here in the UK, although some of the so called assisted opening knives are for sale. I dread that if the legal system has a good look at the design, sees that spring, any owners will be getting a knock on the door.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: February 04, 2007, 08:49:27 PM
Hmmmm......(fake sigh) I suppose I shall have to purchase myself one in order to find out how well it works. Ahh well...... ;)

Offline joebw

Reply #66 on: February 05, 2007, 12:51:09 AM
Hi Bob,

Somebody has to volunteer to do this.  If you hadn't, I was going to have to buy my first SOG.  Please advise where I can get mine  :D.

Cheers - Joe

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: February 09, 2007, 05:04:44 AM
I took a video of two knives I have that use SOGs SAT opening to show how well it works.  I'm really excited about the PowerAssist.  The first is a Flash 2, then the Twitch 2, I put in a LM folder to show how well their assisted opening works using no spring.http://youtube.com/watch?v=AWau0C599X4
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: February 10, 2007, 01:53:36 AM
Neat demonstration prime! I've never played with any of the assisted SOG's. It looks like they both snap open with authority.

Can you tell / Do you think the assist mechanism will weaken with heavy usage?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #69 on: February 10, 2007, 03:07:50 AM
...and is the blade on the Flash II tight when opened?  What is the handle made of? 

I've been thinking of buying one (looking for the best price), but I always hesitate with stuff with small moving parts/springs/levers..

And to stay on topic..does anyone know what the second assisted blade is on the new Powerlock?
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 10, 2007, 09:03:54 AM
Can you tell / Do you think the assist mechanism will weaken with heavy usage?
I haven't used them long enough to tell if the spring will weaken after long use.
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: February 10, 2007, 09:11:10 AM
...and is the blade on the Flash II tight when opened?  What is the handle made of?
Yes it's pretty tight when opened, hardly any "wobble" is noticeable.  SOG makes the Flash 2 with many different handles, the one I have is Zytel.  But they make them with Aluminum handles.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD