Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Folding Box Cutters

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Folding Box Cutters
on: April 17, 2007, 03:58:01 AM
At work I use a box cutter allot. I find them useful for other purposes as well. This is my small collection.  The good thing about collecting these is they are much cheaper than multis.  The black SuperKnife on the left is my favorite one right now. Slightly smaller than the rest.  It's easy to flip open with one hand and with the liner lock as opposed to the lockback it's also easy to close with one hand.
Picture 1282 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1282 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 59.12 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Folding Box Cutters
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:17:19 AM
Wow, I didn't know there were so many different kinds! The only one I've seen at the local hardware store is the blue Sheffield model. (third from right.)

Ooh, and I notice your little Gerber over there on the far right. (I still intend to get one someday.)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:22:36 AM
I have one similar to the one on the far left- handy little bugger!

I keep meaning to get a bigger one, but then what would I use my 200 SAKs and 50+ multis for?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 05:13:45 AM
I found a really cool folding box cutter the other day while browsing around Knifecenter.com. Made by Meyerco it's assisted opening and snaps open really good.  The blade holder is a little different from the other designs being held in place with a small stud that fits in one of the notches of the blade.  I didn't think it would be that strong but I used it at work last night and and cut every box I could get my hands on with no problems.
Picture 1315 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1315 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 48.5 KB)
Picture 1322 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1322 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 91.55 KB)
"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:57:54 PM
A man after my own hart. I love the little Kobalt one from lowes. I got to have 4 of them stashed around. Y know Lowes has come a long way on all thier cuttin stuff. Mine now carrys SOG and Vic.
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:55:26 PM
I own a Husky brand cutter (same exact design as the Scheffeild third in from the right).  I don't like the way the blade is held in place though..that design seems to get loose. 

I use this every day...
http://www.hydetools.com/data/detail.asp?SKU=42030

mine has been modified a bit though..the blade can shoot out with the flick of my wrist, the 'endcap' had to be replaced with another that had to be Dremeled to fit...and there's a screw through the lanyard hole...I'm going to try and attach a pocket clip with it at some point.

EDIT:
I might track down a Superknife...I think that was the first of this design, and I think it's made in the USA.  The way the blade is held looks a little more secure also.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 04:57:30 PM by Corrugated »
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:31:34 PM
The top-of-the-line SuperKnife has an even more secure blade holder.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:07:24 PM

I have one like the large Kobalt pictured, and one with a blade replacement mechanism just like the Sheffield.  I definitely prefer the mechanism that the Sheffield and small Kobalt have over the large Kobalt.  It's too easy to release the blade while in use on the large Kobalt.  The release button is right where I always want to put my thumb or index finger.

- Terry

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:03 PM
I carried a sheffield type at work everyday for quite a while. It worked great for most things, but I did have the blade come partly out once or twice doing some hard cutting, and the lock could pop out if you put enough pressure on it. But for the price it was a great tool!

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 10:26:25 AM
 I've got a craftsman that i picked up at a K-mart for 5 bucks...it's made like the sheffield, but has black aluminum scales that are textured similar to the scales on Swiss Army soldier knives...it also came with a nylon sheath that can be a horizontal or vertical carry (I'm not a fan of pocket clips, although it has a nice one). It's really handy for dirty work or stuff where a razor works better than a knife blade. And the lifetime craftsman warranty doesn't hurt either...
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD