Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Huntsman light...........any good?

england Offline thesuper

Vic Huntsman light...........any good?
on: July 18, 2009, 11:52:23 AM
I am looking to get a Vic Huntsman light, but can anyone tell me if the little white led is any good on them ,worth the extra money over the ordinary h/man? Also, anyone know if they come in the standard red or black scales, not too keen on that semi see thru red I keep seeing it in. Thanks guys & girls. Rob
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Vic Huntsman light...........any good?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:57:08 AM
I am looking to get a Vic Huntsman light, but can anyone tell me if the little white led is any good on them ,worth the extra money over the ordinary h/man? Also, anyone know if they come in the standard red or black scales, not too keen on that semi see thru red I keep seeing it in. Thanks guys & girls. Rob

The little light is passable ... good for sorting your keys out, peering into the darkened recesses of computer cases and the like.  Its bit of a strange one to add to the Huntsman.  Given the option I'd rather have a Huntsman (so much cheaper) and carry a small torch like a Fenix E01 or L0D alongside it.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 12:08:23 PM
Someone might correct me but I believe that the LED is pretty poor, most people seem to buy them for the in-line Phillips driver.  On the plus side I hear that the LED is being upgraded but I've no clue as to a time-frame.

Have you seen the translucent red?  I too was very cynical about it until I ended up with some.  It really is a great shade.  I'm not fond of the blue though.

According to SAKwiki it only comes in the translucent red.  If you really don't like them then you can always change the scales.  It's a very simple job and new scales can be had for a fiver.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Huntsman+Lite
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline thesuper

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:45 PM
Yeah, I always carry a light source with me at all times, especialy at work. All  my bunches of keys have a Photon light on them, along with my classics. I work on the Tube and you dont want to be 100 feet underground when the lights go out! The greatest MT in the world aint going to help you then!
Thanks Gareth......how do you change the scales on a SAK? I could live with the translucent red, just a personal preference. Rob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:45:41 PM
Here is a little guide: http://www.swiss-knife.com/popups/V.W.PL.expl.EN.htm

Personally I find that you can press them on by hand, I wrap the SAK in a cloth, put it on a hard surface and lean down on it.  You can use a set of scales again but they might be a bit rattly, a dab of glue on the pivot heads (where the scales clip onto the SAK) and you're go to go again.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:48:26 PM
Here is a little guide: http://www.swiss-knife.com/popups/V.W.PL.expl.EN.htm

Personally I find that you can press them on by hand, I wrap the SAK in a cloth, put it on a hard surface and lean down on it.  You can use a set of scales again but they might be a bit rattly, a dab of glue on the pivot heads (where the scales clip onto the SAK) and you're go to go again.

I would like to point out that Gareth is 'ard and there is no shame in padding a vice and using that to squeeze them on :D    At least I hope there isn't  :-[

england Offline thesuper

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:39 PM
Thanks (well 'ard) Gareth! From  ("soft as s***e) Rob :cheers:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 06:02:01 PM
I have a signature lite and the LED is not to good. The Huntsman is a fine tool if you find a good deal on a used one you can buy a set of plus scales in the color of your choice for 7.50.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

spam Offline Paul

• BANNED
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 06:16:03 PM
The only SAK I’ve got with a led on is the Voyager Lite. I take it on holiday with me as the clock/alarm comes in handy and the light is good for that low light you might need in a dark hotel room/cinema etc.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:53 PM
Given the physical limitation it just unable to be any good.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 07:47:13 PM
I have the spartan lite, w/ the white LED. Light position illuminates main blade, so it can be usefull at night for up close tasks. Not very bright, but you can use it to walk around in a dark room, just dont expect it to throw very far.

As for the translucent scales, from what Ive seen they tend to scratch easier than the standard scales.  :tool:

england Offline thesuper

Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 07:54:09 PM
I know what you guys mean about size equeling light output, I have a mini Vic (cant remember which one) with a red LED. But I thought the LED on the Huntsman would be bigger, and brighter, as it is a larger knife. Maybe not though. Also , I wish Vic would put a white LED on all their stuff, more practical.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 08:04:13 PM
i like the idea, but only for the in-line Phillips no for the light :)
A

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 08:33:54 PM
i like the idea, but only for the in-line Phillips no for the light :)

I tend to agree !

Chris

england Offline thesuper

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 08:34:47 PM
The inline philips is one of the reasons I want a H/man, the lite was a bonus. Anyway I have just bought a h/man from Neil (standard) so may not bother now (or...........!), I may get the spartan lite instead, or rather as well as!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 08:50:32 PM
I have the spartan lite, w/ the white LED. Light position illuminates main blade, so it can be usefull at night for up close tasks. Not very bright, but you can use it to walk around in a dark room, just dont expect it to throw very far.

As for the translucent scales, from what Ive seen they tend to scratch easier than the standard scales:tool:

I'm not sure they scratch more easily, but they certainly show the scratches more.  I use a bit of Brasso wadding to polish up my scales every so often.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 09:37:12 PM

As for the translucent scales, from what Ive seen they tend to scratch easier than the standard scales:tool:

I'm not sure they scratch more easily, but they certainly show the scratches more.  I use a bit of Brasso wadding to polish up my scales every so often.

+1 on the Brasso i find my self polishing my SAKs with translucent scales offen. Although i want to try some of that Plastic head light refinisher.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 09:38:20 PM

One thing I noticed is the Translucent scales seem to be made of acrylic, similar to a cd case or ipod screen - both very easy to scratch. Not sure what the material of the regular scales is.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 09:38:39 PM

+1 on the Brasso i find my self polishing my SAKs with translucent scales offen. Although i want to try some of that Plastic head light refinisher.

I'd be interested to hear if that works any better than metal polish  :tu:

england Offline thesuper

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 09:44:05 PM
I agree, the translucent scales seem to be made of a more brittle plastic and therefore easier to scratch.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 10:46:56 PM

I'd be interested to hear if that works any better than metal polish  :tu:

I have a bottle of Meguiars plastix, if you take your time go step by step from low to high grit with sandpaper first then use rubbing compount before it, you can get a almost mirror polish on SAK scales.

I don't bother thou since it'll just show scratch again within the hour anyway.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 11:11:00 PM

One thing I noticed is the Translucent scales seem to be made of acrylic, similar to a cd case or ipod screen - both very easy to scratch. Not sure what the material of the regular scales is.

They're always referred to as being Cellidor (same as the standard scales) but I know what you mean, they do feel more brittle.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 11:46:26 PM
hmmm, jumping around the net... cellidor seems to be a form of cellulose acetate. I've been in plants that produce plastic items, they come in the form of pellets and are heated and injection molded, and cooled by chilled water usually.

Maybe the different formulations used to get the solid vs translucent colors is responsible for the scratchiness

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%