Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Singular piece of metal reccomendation

Kmarr · 28 · 4154

Offline Kmarr

Singular piece of metal reccomendation
on: March 07, 2010, 06:13:16 AM
I simply can't fit all these tools into my...TOOLS!
I think what I need is a couple small supplementary tools for what my MT can no longer fit.
Any suggestions?
ps- I have the money for Atwood, but I'd lose my phone capability for a month if I bought one so lets steer clear of them :D

Offline BigFatTon

Re: Singular piece of metal reccomendation
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:18:05 AM
I'm a big fan of my Gerber Shard, The bottle opener is fantastic, and easier to access (always out) than one on a keychain multitool, and the prybar is suprisingly useful from time to time.  What other kinds of tools are you looking for specifically though?

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:23:23 AM
In the sub-thirty field there's...

A Pocketwrench II is a great substitute (pry, closed wrench, ruler, hex driver).
The afore mentioned Gerber Shard is good too (pry with flathead screw tips, bottle opener, phillips) as is its bigger brother the Gerber Artifact (pry with flathead screw tips, bottle opener, phillips, exacto blade).
The raker ring tool (recessed cutter, flathead, hex, bigger hex or oxygen wrench): http://www.rakerknives.com/damascus_tools.htm
These Ti keys float around eBay (flathead, bottle opener).
The new CRKT TA-Bar Tool (pry, knife, hex driver, bottle opener).

Can't help much beyond that as I can't afford 'em either. :D

But here's a random options:

http://www.pockettoolx.com/
http://www.phlaunt.com/jdrknifeandtool/
http://sites.google.com/site/jrpcustomknives/

A forum member was working on a project with an open ended wrench and a magnifying glass but I'm pretty sure he's been eaten by a grue at this point.

EDIT: Sorry, I keep editing it as I think of more. :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:36:42 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:47:31 AM
I'm sort of leaning into the gerber shard. I cruised MT.org(not the forum) for one-piece and its riddled with mostly unaffordable Atwood, and the shard isn't even on there :(.
I like the fact it has a pry bar, if I tried to use my mt screwdriver I'd hear a snap, close my eyes, and pray it is not labeled as "misuse."
I have a bottle opener so that doesn't matter, I have a couple flatheads and philips too. A wrench fixture, pry bar, or another uncommon tool would be delightful :)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:56:08 AM
For $10 it's really hard to beat the Shard.  :tu:  The Pocketwrench II is great because it fits perfectly in a Leatherman sheath.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline Kmarr

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 06:59:34 AM
I always like to have 2 philips sizes with me. So if I have a pst, I'll have 2 philips.  But if I have my modded Powerlock with 2 philips in it...I'll have 3 philips!! :ahhh  too many! The pocketwrench II is growing on me because of the wrench...and the ruler...and the 1/4 slot...and pry bar.

hmm... we might have a winner :tu:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:47 AM
I always like to have 2 philips sizes with me. So if I have a pst, I'll have 2 philips.  But if I have my modded Powerlock with 2 philips in it...I'll have 3 philips!! :ahhh  too many! The pocketwrench II is growing on me because of the wrench...and the ruler...and the 1/4 slot...and pry bar.

hmm... we might have a winner :tu:

For just a pry bar you can look into the pocket/micro/pico widgy bars too. They're small and fit into anything.

http://www.countycomm.com/widgy.htm
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:08:00 AM
Another vote for the Shard and Artifact here :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:24:27 AM
Artifact + 1

.... think I might need a pocketwrench aswell  :)
Everything’s adjustable

Offline Magnus

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:22:17 PM
I prefer the RRT myself, but I am a sucker for anything in damascus.
[

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:21:03 PM
In the sub-thirty field there's...

A Pocketwrench II is a great substitute (pry, closed wrench, ruler, hex driver).
The afore mentioned Gerber Shard is good too (pry with flathead screw tips, bottle opener, phillips) as is its bigger brother the Gerber Artifact (pry with flathead screw tips, bottle opener, phillips, exacto blade).
The raker ring tool (recessed cutter, flathead, hex, bigger hex or oxygen wrench): http://www.rakerknives.com/damascus_tools.htm
These Ti keys float around eBay (flathead, bottle opener).
The new CRKT TA-Bar Tool (pry, knife, hex driver, bottle opener).

Can't help much beyond that as I can't afford 'em either. :D

But here's a random options:

http://www.pockettoolx.com/
http://www.phlaunt.com/jdrknifeandtool/
http://sites.google.com/site/jrpcustomknives/

A forum member was working on a project with an open ended wrench and a magnifying glass but I'm pretty sure he's been eaten by a grue at this point.

EDIT: Sorry, I keep editing it as I think of more. :D

Oh, I like that JRP stuff. Do you know if that Toucan thing is expensive?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 02:22:13 PM
It's something like $70 I think but availability is the key just like with Atwoods, sorry. Your more apt to get your hands on a Raker Ring Tool or a JDR Ti tool than anything else in the custom field.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:44 PM
I'm sort of leaning into the gerber shard. I cruised MT.org(not the forum) for one-piece and its riddled with mostly unaffordable Atwood, and the shard isn't even on there :(.
I like the fact it has a pry bar, if I tried to use my mt screwdriver I'd hear a snap, close my eyes, and pray it is not labeled as "misuse."
I have a bottle opener so that doesn't matter, I have a couple flatheads and philips too. A wrench fixture, pry bar, or another uncommon tool would be delightful :)

The Shard is indeed there- been there for a while:

http://www.multitool.org/gerber/keychain-tools/shard.html

It's just listed as a Gerber model, not One Piece.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:44:42 PM
How does the pocketwrench II measure up as a prybar? I know its not angled, but sometimes I don't even need an angle to do my prying.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:15:56 PM
I had the Pocketwrench II and I loved it, (don't know why I got rid of it). ???

Just got the Gerber Shard and I have to admit it is growing on me the only thing
I have used so far was the Phillips driver. :tu:

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:34:05 AM
How does the pocketwrench II measure up as a prybar? I know its not angled, but sometimes I don't even need an angle to do my prying.
I've used the pocketwrench II to pry open a locked door at work, worked fine and didn't damage the tool.

Offline bquinlan

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:53 AM

I ground mine down a bit to improve the bite of the prybar, but overall it does the job very well.  The Pocketwrench II is thicker than any of the other 4" prybars I've seen.

--Bob Q

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 11:41:51 AM
It's something like $70 I think but availability is the key just like with Atwoods, sorry. Your more apt to get your hands on a Raker Ring Tool or a JDR Ti tool than anything else in the custom field.

:o Are you kidding me?!? What is the trick then with those things? What is that all different than, for example, that I would go to a friend with a metal shop and a lasercutter and let him cut out some design from a high grade steel? Now that I thing of it, I might just do that  :D

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 01:18:23 PM
I have both a Raker Ring tool and a Shard! As my papaw used to say "Everyman and a farmer ought to have one of them"

The ultra stout Raker Ring tool flat head also makes a nice prybar and the seatbelt cutter works real well for anything that will fit in there: Cord, rope, tape, etc. And at 21$ for the ATS-34 how you can go wrong? (For a few dollars more you can get the pretty Damascus)

Also, if you get a shard, sand off all that ugly black paint. It makes it look like a real expensive piece then.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 01:27:57 PM
Loving the Pocketwrench here too - thinking of grinding a notch out of the end if possible, so it can work as a nail prying type thing.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 01:39:01 PM
I have both a Raker Ring tool and a Shard! As my papaw used to say "Everyman and a farmer ought to have one of them"

The ultra stout Raker Ring tool flat head also makes a nice prybar and the seatbelt cutter works real well for anything that will fit in there: Cord, rope, tape, etc. And at 21$ for the ATS-34 how you can go wrong? (For a few dollars more you can get the pretty Damascus)

Also, if you get a shard, sand off all that ugly black paint. It makes it look like a real expensive piece then.

(Image removed from quote.)

I think the Raker Ring Tool is the best bang for your buck in the custom area, the provides a quality tool at one heck of a price. I really love my Damascus one but my ATS-34 one seems more duty because it's edge retention is somewhat better (sometimes Damascus seems really toothy).

Offline Magnus

Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49:47 PM
Neither atwoods or the RRT are "custom" they are batch produced on a waterjet cutting machine with only a few bevels hand ground.
[

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 06:48:47 PM
Each has their uses...

while this is great for opening boxes...

Boba is clearly more comfortable here opening bottles!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 07:02:00 PM
Neither atwoods or the RRT are "custom" they are batch produced on a waterjet cutting machine with only a few bevels hand ground.

Custom in regards to them not being mass produced or by a company but by an individual. Maybe I have a broader description of what is to be considered a custom. I consider Blind Horse Knives and Nemesis knives customs too but that could be seen differently by someone else.

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:08 PM
My vote goes for a Pirahna tool. Love mine.
T

Offline BigFatTon

Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 07:32:10 PM
yeah, the pirahna tools seem like the way to go, I'm waiting for the Pirahna X model that has SAE and Metric though.  Atwoods are fantastic if you can afford them and then if you can find/win an auction for one

Offline Raker

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 03:03:14 AM
The word "Custom" is also bandied around in the knife making community as to what constitutes "Custom"  Some believe that it is what one person has ordered and a maker has completed.  Sole authorship also comes into play if one person has performed all the work to the customers specifications.  If the same knife is again made and displayed at a knife show, is it still a custom?  i think so but I have not the final say.  They buyer does.
I do have the Ring Tool cut by laser and water jet machines by people that have no idea or care about what the part does.  Without the ability of the machines to cut the slots out precisely (hex, O2, etc.) , the cost of the Ring Tool would be out of the cost/value curve and may never have made it to the customer base that it has.  It was still designed, ground, heat treated, and finished by one person so I think it is a custom. 
I can change the design of the slots to a customers specs when ordered in quantities.  This is on the agenda as is different stamps for volumn buyers.  I think you could say that these would be custom as they are made to the customers specs.
As I have said, the word "Custom" means different things to different people and that is alright, I can appreciate the pride that would go with an item that was specially made for by by another.
I am glad that most are enjoying the Raker Ring Tool and I will be posting another model soon.  It will be the dual hex in damascus.  I should have them completed in a couple of weeks.  I will put them on the EDCSource.com web site when available.

Ag
R

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 03:17:04 AM
Cool!  :2tu: Keep us informed buddy, I look forward to any progress on the RT front.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%