Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for my first EDC knife

us Offline lovenhim

Looking for my first EDC knife
on: June 21, 2010, 01:09:01 AM
Hello everyone.  I am interested in a folding knife for EDC use.  I want a straight, non serrated blade and a pocket clip.  It would be used for general, everyday uses, maybe camping.  I am not sure what I am looking for, so feel free to ask questions to get more specific.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: Looking for my first EDC knife
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:13:56 AM
Spyderco Endura and Delica are nice choices. 
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:36:41 AM
The most important question is always how much are you willing to spend.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:19:00 AM
Spyderco Endura and Delica are nice choices. 

Endura and Delica are great choices :tu: You can spend a bit less and get a Spyderco Persistence, great knife and easy to sharpen.

J brought up a good point: what's your budget?

Also what is the legal size of the blade in your state or city?

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:19:29 AM
The most important question is always how much are you willing to spend.
+1

I have EDC knives that cost 400.00 and I have EDC knives that cost 40.00.  Hard to go wrong with a Delica or Native on the Spyderco side of things or a Benchmade Griptillian or its mini variant.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 02:39:18 AM
I would like to stay under $50 on a knife or maybe trade for one.  The legal blade limit here is 3.5 inches on a folding knife.  It is something that I am looking in to and not something I have to have today.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:42:06 AM
I would like to stay under $50 on a knife or maybe trade for one.  The legal blade limit here is 3.5 inches on a folding knife.  It is something that I am looking in to and not something I have to have today.  :) 

I have a Gerber folder you can have until you find something better.  :cheers:  Pm me your address if you want it.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:03:04 AM
This is right under your blade length limit: http://edcdepot.com/spydercotenaciousplainedge.aspx
This is quite a bit smaller: http://edcdepot.com/spydercopersistence.aspx

Some people don't like spyderco's look, in which case Kershaw has a few decent ones.

http://newgraham.com/store/product/4971/Skyline-PE-KS1760/
http://newgraham.com/store/product/496/Kershaw-Storm%2C-PE-KS1470/ (stainless handle, has heft)
http://newgraham.com/store/product/3535/Needs-Work-PE-KS1820/ (assisted opening, sort like a legal auto)
http://newgraham.com/store/product/3585/Junkyard-Dog-PE--KS1720/ (stainless handle, has heft)
http://newgraham.com/store/product/5665/Zing-PE-Black-Handle-KS1735/

All will be within your budget after shipping.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:08:16 AM by jzmtl »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:03:40 AM
I was about to suggest Byrd knives, but I'd definitely take GG up on his loan offer, so you can learn what you might like / dislike in a knife. More chance of getting a good suitor first time that way.

Well played again GG ;)

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:17:50 AM
I was about to suggest Byrd knives, but I'd definitely take GG up on his loan offer, so you can learn what you might like / dislike in a knife. More chance of getting a good suitor first time that way.

Well played again GG ;)

Thanks Dave! :cheers:  He can have the knife.  :tu:  It's a great little folder, but it just won't see any pocket time.  :-\
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:22:26 AM
Lol. I know how that goes.

I posted a pic the other day of the knives that I've accumulated, and the reality is that I wouldn't dare leave the house with any of them apart from the UKPK and a CRKT Edgie! I use the Mini Grip you sent me plenty around the house though - carefully of course ;)

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:22:59 AM
+Karma , GG !

Chris

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 04:56:58 AM
I was reading a webpage online and was looking up different lock styles on a folding knife.  Which type do you prefer on a knife?  I understand a liner lock and frame lock.  Is the axis lock the one that is located in the handle of the knife near the top of the knife and near where the pivot is?  You would slide the "ball" towards the rear of the knife to release the lock and close it, right?  

I found some nice info here on locks:  http://www.knivestown.com/ktown/lock_types.asp
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:01:06 AM by lovenhim »
When In doubt, C4

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:12:55 AM
Lockbacks (Frontlocks Al Mar/Spyderco style) and Walker linerlocks are the two that I own and have experience with. Both are great and strong for normal use (any lock can fail if abused).

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 05:17:03 AM
Kershaw makes a fine budget friendly carry knives. Blur and Leek are under 50ish at Walmart and they have that quick deployment thumb stud.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 05:19:59 AM
I was reading a webpage online and was looking up different lock styles on a folding knife.  Which type do you prefer on a knife?  I understand a liner lock and frame lock.  Is the axis lock the one that is located in the handle of the knife near the top of the knife and near where the pivot is?  You would slide the "ball" towards the rear of the knife to release the lock and close it, right?  

I found some nice info here on locks:  http://www.knivestown.com/ktown/lock_types.asp

Essentially yes - Benchmade is known for their Axis lock.  What you're using the knife for day-to-day will really tell you what kind of lock you want.

Liner locks are relatively easy to make, don't increase the weight a lot, and are perfect for day to day use for the majority of people.  They aren't as strong as other types of locks, though, and can be subject to "wear" over time (though this generally takes years and years).

Frame locks are like liner locks, but part of the handle forms the lock - this means that the handle material has to be steel or aluminium so a lock can be formed.  Again, simple, cheap, but the handle has to be made out of metal which generally increase the weight of the knife.

Lockback and midlock knives have a spring-loaded bar that "locks" in to a groove on the tang of the knife to hold it in place.  Very strong type of lock when done properly.  You generally need an extra big 'ol hunk of steel so it will increase the weight of the knife, and making a "good" lockback or midlock knife requires some very tight tolerances - not a lot of companies REALLY do it well.  Spyderco (and by extension, Byrd) is one of the few companies that consistently gets their lockbacks right.  If you really, and I do mean REALLY need to beat on a folding knife, a lockback (or Cold Steel's Triad lock) is the type of lock you want.  

Axis (and Rolling) locks have a small ball or bead that actuates a circular spring in the handle - the spring pushes a small detent pin in to the place behind the tang of knife, locking the blade.  Generally considered very strong, but it is a somewhat difficult lock to machine and manufacture, which can increase the cost of the knife.

I have knives with all four types... I'll be honest, for most tasks I prefer a good liner lock.  Light, easy to open and close with hand, simple lock that generally doesn't fail unless you're really, REALLY beating on the blade.  As always, YMMV

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 05:40:28 AM
Thank you for all of the info on knife locks.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD