Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

M.T.O watch project,

Zed · 426 · 27392

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Re: M.T.O watch project,
Reply #390 on: September 06, 2010, 10:56:35 PM
speaking of the zed watches, where's he been the last few days  :pok:

Paul does odd shifts  :think: I hope he's alright  :tu:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #391 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:20 AM
Can someone take a picture of how you set up your Nato bands?  Did you guys cut and burn to shorten or fold back?  I want to leave the option of extra length to fit over a 6-7mm thick wetsuit (very rare for me, so not too important).  I'm not sure how to fold it back...

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #392 on: September 07, 2010, 09:44:31 AM
 You fold it back on itself, your not supposed to cut it ill get a pic up tonight
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #393 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:18 AM
Can someone take a picture of how you set up your Nato bands?  Did you guys cut and burn to shorten or fold back?  I want to leave the option of extra length to fit over a 6-7mm thick wetsuit (very rare for me, so not too important).  I'm not sure how to fold it back...

Google Nato strap.  Many explainations on there how to do it.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #394 on: September 07, 2010, 03:07:22 PM
Hi guys sorry not been around ive been on nights since friday plus my pc broke on friday and waiting on it being fixed (i hope) so i might not be back on till next week as im using my sister in laws laptop at her house , ok nato's please dont cut it back just turn it on its self sorry no pics bit im no good on a laptop and i cant get onto my phottobucket, there is a pic on one of my posts i think, pics look great guys , well off now back hopefully very soon,

paul  :tu:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #395 on: September 07, 2010, 05:06:14 PM
Glad to see you're back Paul.  Yep, found the Nato info, thanks!  Cool strap, seems quite durable.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #396 on: September 07, 2010, 11:46:07 PM
I guess I shouldn't really say my zulu is "like new".  It has the black oxide hardware, and some of that has worn off.  There's really no noticeable wear to the fabric though.

It's not easy to swap the band out on this particular watch I have the zulu on.  The pins are close to the case, and with the thickness of the band, it won't slide out.  So, I would have to take the pins out every time I swapped, and I'm WAY to lazy to do that.

I should mention that I've since found out that the Maratac Zulu strap is made from thicker material than the NATO spec strap.  The NATO spec allows the strap to easily slip past the case and spring pins, and therefore requires the "keeper" strap and buckle on the backside, to keep the case from slipping around the strap.  Since the Zulu is thicker, it is tighter between the case and spring pin, and doesn't require the keeper strap.  The Zulu will take more abuse than the NATO, but isn't as convenient to swap out for cleaning or changing color.
- Terry

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #397 on: September 08, 2010, 02:28:15 AM

I was just wondering this earlier today. Google is your friend ;)

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/NatoInstructions.htm

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #398 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:56 PM

My quick analysis of the watch itself is the case is quite nice.  The engraving on the back of the case is very nice!  Overall it's lighter weight than I expected, but this is mostly due to the bracelet.  The Bezel functions quite nicely, just a little too easy to rotate for a dive watch and cosmetically I've been spoiled by some of the new ceramic bezels.  The bracelet is disapointing, If I can find one of my natos in the right size I believe I'm likely to try it on this watch.  The movement interaction is pretty good. Hacking is solid, it has some of the weird behavior of earlier movements during adjustment, the hacking appeared solid, and the winding quality felt about medium. I might open the watch one day to have a closer look.  The printing on the 'day' dial is not very high quality.  I did not test the lume.

I agree with most everything you've said in your short review.  

I'd like to add that I find the bezel rather odd--it has 70 clicks.  No wonder it doesn't line up perfectly with the second marks.  The accuracy of mine has been pretty good, being within ~6 or 7 seconds per 24 hours.  The rotor is quite loud, but this is my first automatic, so I have nothing to compare to.  I can easily hear it a couple of feet from my ear in a fairly noisy office when it freewheels.

I've tested the lume a bit.  You can charge it up fairly brightly, but it fades quickly, over a short period of time.
- Terry

ca Offline gunga

Reply #399 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:30 PM
I'm trying the Nato for the first time.  It is more comfortable and a lot lighter on the wrist, I like the looks of bracelets better in general, but the bond-ish Nato is nice.

Just wondering, how does the extra starp underneath the watch help?  I've read RAF style Natos without the extra strap and G10 with the keeper.  I can't quite figure out how the keeper strap helps keep the watch on?  Is it just so the watch can't slide around so much on the band if 1 pin breaks?  Not sure it's worth the extra thickness...

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #400 on: September 09, 2010, 09:36:45 PM
Is it just so the watch can't slide around so much on the band if 1 pin breaks?  Not sure it's worth the extra thickness...

It's there to keep the watch from sliding around the band, regardless of if both pins are intact or not (esp. when off the wrist).

One thing you may want to try, if you don't like the keeper strap, is a Zulu strap.  The Zulu strap is thicker, so the watch doesn't slip on the band, and it doesn't have the extra keeper strap.  Otherwise, the Zulu is basically the same, and routes under the pins and around the case back just as the NATO does.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:45:48 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #401 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:54 PM
Hi giys, my pc is still broke so still having to pop to my sister in laws every they days when i can, thanks gunga for the nato help i cant do much on this laptop as not used to it, i hope im back on by next week fingers crossed,

paul

ca Offline gunga

Reply #402 on: September 24, 2010, 08:20:52 PM
Oh no, something has happened to my ZA1!  I was just using my watch, next to an open flame... and I accidentally brushed the cyclops (with a bit of force) and it just slid right off!  (with some "encouragement"). 

Luckily, a little WD40 and a fingernail later, the crystal is looking good (with just a small minor nick) sans cyclops.

I like it MUCH better this way.  Will try and post pix tonight or tomorrow.

I know it's no longer a proper submariner homage, but I like to think of it as my custom ZA1.  It suits my needs much better now.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #403 on: September 25, 2010, 06:14:37 AM
Zed... what sloppy worksmanship. Gunga, you should demand a refund! :twak:
Got those frog legs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #404 on: September 25, 2010, 10:18:05 AM
How very careless of you gunga.  ::)

I actually rather like the cyclops so I'll be very careful not to make the same "mistake" as you mate. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #405 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21:08 AM
lol yep heat and a sharpy will do the trick , im a fan of cyclops  :D

ca Offline gunga

Reply #406 on: September 25, 2010, 10:34:18 AM
It was the one thing that really bugged me.  I didn't know how comfortable a Nato was (or even what it was) until you all introduced me to it.  The cyclops drove me nuts tho.  So after an exhaustive search on the net, I bit the bullet.  Worst case was needing to replace the crystal.  Or more.

You need to see this:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?s=2025ba9188a8c4eb13442484c4869171&p=1179020&postcount=44

Cracks me up.

Yeah Zed, I demand a refund.  Plus extra, for my pain and suffering...

:rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #407 on: September 26, 2010, 09:29:18 AM
It was the one thing that really bugged me.  I didn't know how comfortable a Nato was (or even what it was) until you all introduced me to it.  The cyclops drove me nuts tho.  So after an exhaustive search on the net, I bit the bullet.  Worst case was needing to replace the crystal.  Or more.

You need to see this:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?s=2025ba9188a8c4eb13442484c4869171&p=1179020&postcount=44

Cracks me up.

lol, that looked painfull to that crystal  :o

gunga ill answer here what you asked me about plexis v mineral, personaly i prefere plexi's as are easy to buff out marks, but they are easy to scratch, so most would prefere a mineral or at more cost a saphire, acrylic plexis do add a nice vintage look though with a nice dome,  :tu:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #408 on: September 26, 2010, 04:49:31 PM

You need to see this:

Cracks me up.

Job done,cyclops removed successfully LMAO  :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #409 on: September 26, 2010, 08:22:16 PM
so the cyclops is just glued on?

id never have known  ???
I

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #410 on: September 26, 2010, 08:46:01 PM
so the cyclops is just glued on?

id never have known  ???

yeah thats how they are all on ryan, i thought years ago they was kind of molded on  :D

ca Offline gunga

Reply #411 on: September 27, 2010, 01:24:34 AM
If Sapphire or mineral glass, the cyclops is glued on using optical epoxy (maybe Norland 61?).  The plexi ones can be molded, so don't try and remove those...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #412 on: September 27, 2010, 10:41:07 AM
If Sapphire or mineral glass, the cyclops is glued on using optical epoxy (maybe Norland 61?).  The plexi ones can be molded, so don't try and remove those...

yep not a good idea gunga, i wasnt sure of the glue for putting on a cyclops so i sent johns for him to add at a later date, ill practice first i think with this,  :tu:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #413 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:10 PM
Norland 61 is UV cured optical epoxy.  Not too bad to work with.  I use it for installing trits in lights.

BTW, how do you keep your auto watches wound if you have more than 1?  Do you use a winder?  I'm going to have 2 or 3, and don't plan on daily rotation for each watch...

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #414 on: September 27, 2010, 08:18:24 PM
Yikes, they went medieval on that watch!  :o

As a side note on Natos, I decided to get a cheaper version of that rather nice Corvus Vintage Bond one. £10 on ebay - will report on quality later   :salute:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #415 on: September 27, 2010, 09:00:48 PM
Norland 61 is UV cured optical epoxy.  Not too bad to work with.  I use it for installing trits in lights.

BTW, how do you keep your auto watches wound if you have more than 1?  Do you use a winder?  I'm going to have 2 or 3, and don't plan on daily rotation for each watch...

JMO It makes no sense to have three auto's running,I would have my fav constantly running then if I wanted to change for the day I'd start that one up.My fav watch would have enough reserve to last a night out or even a day wear change  of coarse you could keep them all wound up on the winder if you so wished,if they have one   ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #416 on: September 27, 2010, 09:03:08 PM
Leaving an auto not running causes oils to solidify and things to seize causing a world of problems (potentially)
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #417 on: September 27, 2010, 09:21:33 PM
Leaving an auto not running causes oils to solidify and things to seize causing a world of problems (potentially)
:ahhh  :ahhh

Thanks Ben  ;)

Gunga scratch my opinion completely,wind them all up daily  :ahhh :ahhh  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #418 on: September 27, 2010, 09:24:46 PM
Is this the time where I now say that I don't bother?  :rofl:
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #419 on: September 27, 2010, 09:28:27 PM
Is this the time where I now say that I don't bother?  :rofl:
The time!  :rofl:

>:(   :twak:  :D

Donations