Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If you were to have only one gun?

CQC-7 · 58 · 8784

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
If you were to have only one gun?
on: September 10, 2007, 05:45:24 PM
I was thinking about this topic the other day.  If a person were to only have one firearm what would it be? 

Personally, I have many firearms, all of which have their certain "appeal."  I mostly shoot .22 target guns since I dont have the time to shoot trap or sporting clays anymore.  However, if I were to have only one firearm that would serve the purpose of handling everything from recreational shooting to hunting to home defense I'd have to go with the Remington 870 shotgun with a 22" barrel.  It is versitile enough to handle everything from targets to large game. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: If you were to have only one gun?
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 09:43:14 PM
.12 Guage. 

I don't hunt so it would be home defense and the occasional target practice only.  Plus, you can fire a variety of things form a .12 and ammunition is available almost everywhere.  Plus there is zilch for penetration so you don't have to worry about accidentally killing your neighbors next door or your wife in the next room.

I like the nickel plated Remington 870 because I know it'll fire, won't corrode (much) and if that don't make a bad guy poo himself when he's looking down the barrel, nothing will.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:33:42 PM
.12 Guage. 

I don't hunt so it would be home defense and the occasional target practice only.  Plus, you can fire a variety of things form a .12 and ammunition is available almost everywhere.  Plus there is zilch for penetration so you don't have to worry about accidentally killing your neighbors next door or your wife in the next room.

(Image removed from quote.)

I like the nickel plated Remington 870 because I know it'll fire, won't corrode (much) and if that don't make a bad guy poo himself when he's looking down the barrel, nothing will.

Def
I've always been partial to the ole M6, and one day i might even get one :(

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html

182317-M61.jpg
* 182317-M61.jpg (Filesize: 68.64 KB)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:38:01 PM
Actually while were on the subject does anyone from the UK know what the requirement for gun ownership are now?

I know what were not aloud ::), but i don't now the procedure for getting a firearm's cirtificate these day's (havent had one since I was 17)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:45:51 PM
The 870 Marine Magnum is an excellent weapon.  Unfortunately I do not own one yet.  I like that .22/.410 O/U as well.  My friend has one of them, only his has the nicely finished stock and is a .223/20 gauge.  I just like my own 870, I guess that it will rust if given the chance but I usually take good care of my stuff. 

The 12 Gauge is probaly the most versitile cartridge available today.  Not a sniper weapon in anyones eyes but with slugs would get the job done inside 150yds in the right hands.     

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:30:08 PM
I always hate these topics because I always think of a bunch of questions instead of an answer!

Why do I only get 1 gun?  Is it a survival thing?  Did I only grab one before I ran into the woods?  Or is it that I can only own one due to Gun Control Laws?

If I could only take 1 gun and had to choose from what I have on hand, I think I would take my Colt King Cobra .357

It may seem like an odd choice, but it's actually a pretty versatile gun.  I'm pretty accurate up to around 50 yards (over that I'm not consistent).  It can be used to take small or large game, and I wouldn't have to worry about digging shot pellets out of anything I killed for food.  Plus, the 38/357 is small enough to where I wouldn't completely mangle any small animals I was hunting for food.  It can be used for self defense, and if I used .38 special rounds I wouldn't have to worry too much about the round going thru several walls :)  It's small enough and light enough to where it wouldn't be a pain to carry, and I could tuck it into a pack or something if I was in the woods for any extended amount of time...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 06:00:54 PM
I like the .357, it is a good cartridge.  I had one and I traded it off for a S&W 10mm auto only because I became borred with it.  My friends and I are handgun hunters and we used to shoot clay pigeons out to about 75 yds with them.  Accuracy is not a problem.  If I were to take one handgun with me I guess that I would take my .44mag.  I have a Super Blackhawk that I hunt with and I can hit just about anything out to 100yds with it and it is very tough and reliable.  However, my skills are probally lower than they once were because I havent practiced for a few months.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:57:27 PM
I like the .357, it is a good cartridge.  I had one and I traded it off for a S&W 10mm auto only because I became borred with it.  My friends and I are handgun hunters and we used to shoot clay pigeons out to about 75 yds with them.  Accuracy is not a problem.  If I were to take one handgun with me I guess that I would take my .44mag.  I have a Super Blackhawk that I hunt with and I can hit just about anything out to 100yds with it and it is very tough and reliable.  However, my skills are probally lower than they once were because I havent practiced for a few months.

I seriously considered "taking" my Super Redhawk .44 mag.  The only downside is it's a bit bigger and heavier, and I don't think you get much more with the .44 than you would with the .357

I can hit a 9" paper plate at 100 yards with my .44 some of the time.  I don't know that being able to shoot an extra 25+ yards would justify the extra weight and size.  Hell, if I had to "bail out" and spend a few days/weeks in the woods, I probably wouldn't take a chance at a 75+ yard shot.  I would want to conserve ammunition and focus on the distance shots I'm reasonable confident I can hit :)  (sometimes I miss those too!)

I also agree with everyone about the .12 gauge... It's hard to argue with taking a shotgun :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:40:22 PM
Yeah, I admit the .12 was a no brainer! :D

With handguns I am kind of at a loss.  My preferred duty weapon is a 10mm Glock, equipped with an in barrel laser system and a low riding (mid to upper thigh) kydex retention holster, like the rig I used to have.  However, if I had only one gun to face any/all situations with for the rest of my life, I'd probably grab a Smitty wheelgun, and probably a .357- if I'm not gonna hit what I'm shooting at, I might as well not hit it BIG!   :grin:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:29:51 AM
Sad to say but I have never owned a S&W revolver.  I have owned several of their automatics over the years.  I want the .500 S&W but my reloading equipment is on temporary standby making it a very expensive venture to buy the big 500 because the ammo is like $50 for a box of 20.  I will say that my first S&W wheelgun will be the 500 as soon as my wife and I buy a house and get moved in and I get my reloading equipment set up again.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:31 AM
I've had a couple of S&W revolvers.  I had a Model 29 .44mag for a while and absolutely loved it.  I've also owned a couple of .22 revolvers, all of which were really nice.  I'm still a Ruger man at heart though :)

I seriously want to get one of S&W's new .460 wheelguns.   They look like they would be seriously fun to shoot...

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 10:03:57 AM
I was thinking about this topic the other day.  If a person were to only have one firearm what would it be?....  However, if I were to have only one firearm that would serve the purpose of handling everything from recreational shooting to hunting to home defense I'd have to go with the Remington 870 shotgun with a 22" barrel.  It is versitile enough to handle everything from targets to large game. 

Ever seen a Savage 24C?

-20G Shotgun + .22 Rifle.
-Breaks down to fit in included compact carry case.
-Nice stock with cutouts for extra rounds.
-Decent iron sights.
-Very accurate .22 due to stiffly supported rifle barrel.
-Very accurate with 20G slugs.

The 24C is a great little game getter - everything from squirrels on up to deer.  If necessary, the 20G would be pretty decisive for defense - with slugs it's accurate enough out to 100 yards.

For a long term wilderness-survival scenario the 24C would be hard to beat because you can carry a LOT of useful .22 ammo for small game, while saving your 20G rounds for big game and defense.

N

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:58 AM
Do you have pictures?  My friend has the same gun I believe.  His has a wood stock on his.  I am not being a snob or anything but I prefer wood stocks.  However, in a survival situation synthetic is not only better because it is more durable but it is definately lighter.  I love those guns but I have yet to buy one.  As soon as one comes my way I'll have it.  I actually want the 30/30 over 12 gauge.  However, the .22 is definately more versitle where I live. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 07:04:50 AM
Do you have pictures?

My friend has the same gun I believe.  His has a wood stock on his.  I am not being a snob or anything but I prefer wood stocks.  However, in a survival situation synthetic is not only better because it is more durable but it is definately lighter.  I love those guns but I have yet to buy one.  As soon as one comes my way I'll have it.  I actually want the 30/30 over 12 gauge.  However, the .22 is definately more versitle where I live. 

I've never seen one with a plastic stock, although I believe some were made.  Mine is wood, but I'd prefer a plastic stock over a wood stock.

Savage made lots of models with various combinations of the following:
- 20 Gauge (takes 3" shells)
- 12 Gauge
combined with:
-.22 LR
-.22 WMR
and other calibers I can't remember right now.

N

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 11:18:20 AM
You people in the ''free'' world have no idea how lucky you are :cry:

I was doing a bit of research into getting a rifle of my own, only a 22lr nothing high powered or fancy :)

I won't bore you with the detail's but suficed to say not only would it be stupidly expensive but absolutley unworkable for me >:(

Oh how I ''love'' this country >:(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:30:35 PM by micky d »

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 05:49:19 PM
I love that gun.  Thanks, now I have to go and find one for myself.  Having seen what calibers are available, I am going to hunt for one in .357/20ga.  I like 20 ga although the 12 is definately more versitile.  I can use .38 spl. ammo in the rifle bore for long shots on squriells and the 20 for birds and the like. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 06:03:03 PM
Can I change my choice for one gun to this?

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:06:14 PM
Sure... you can take that.  I wonder how long you can carry that thing?  :)

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 07:16:24 PM
Sure... you can take that.  I wonder how long you can carry that thing?  :)
Its just sad some people having to coppensate  ;D

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 07:23:18 PM
I was wondering how long it would take before a smurf joke showed up...

Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 07:29:10 PM
I was wondering how long it would take before a smurf joke showed up...
You can always relie on me to lowwer the tone ;D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 01:16:13 AM
Def, I guess that you can say that "mine is bigger than yours" :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 02:56:33 AM
I love that gun.  Thanks, now I have to go and find one for myself.  Having seen what calibers are available, I am going to hunt for one in .357/20ga.  I like 20 ga although the 12 is definately more versitile.  I can use .38 spl. ammo in the rifle bore for long shots on squriells and the 20 for birds and the like. 

I can see how having a Savage 24 with a .357 rifle barrel would be nice if you also carry a .357 or .38 wheelgun when outdoors.  Commonality of ammo can be convenient.

That being said, I do think you're underestimating the sheer wonderfullness and practicality of the .22 rifle half of the Savage 24C:

-Cheap to shoot, so you'll shoot it a lot.
-Quite accurate rifle barrel, for hunting and plinking fun.
-Capable of taking most small game.
-Ammo is very lightweight and compact, so you can easily carry hundreds of rounds in your survival kit.

The 24C is just a superb little gun to take along for hiking and camping, since it's fairly compact and light for a gun of its class.  During all your .22 Cal plinking fun, that 20 Gauge shotgun is always there, ready to go if you need heavier firepower.

As a bonus, the 24C breaks down and stows out of sight in your backpack.  Allows you to be discrete when you walk through a town or other area with people.

If you're looking for an effective survival gun, the 24C is the model to get.

N

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 03:31:10 AM
I love the .22lr cartridge.  I have many many more .22s than any other gun.  I will probally get the .22 in the end anyway.  My friend has the .22/410 model and I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it but he shot a grouse with the .22 one day by accident instead of the .410. :) 

As for the .22, ammo is cheap and I have even been using my walther P-22 as a training pistol for practice with speedy reloading drills and defense scenarios.  22s are great.  I would not hesitate to carry my P-22 if I needed to.  Although, my Glock 21 is my primary carry piece.   

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 07:55:55 AM
I love the .22lr cartridge.  I have many many more .22s than any other gun.  I will probally get the .22 in the end anyway.  My friend has the .22/410 model and I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it but he shot a grouse with the .22 one day by accident instead of the .410. :) 

As for the .22, ammo is cheap and I have even been using my walther P-22 as a training pistol for practice with speedy reloading drills and defense scenarios.  22s are great.  I would not hesitate to carry my P-22 if I needed to.  Although, my Glock 21 is my primary carry piece.   

Another .22 that's great for carrying outdoors is the AR7.  Really neat rifle that breaks down into barrel, receiver, magazine, and plastic stock.  Barrel, receiver, and magazine fit into shaped recesses inside the stock that are exposed by removing a cap on the butt.  Aluminum barrel with a steel liner for lighter weight.  It'll actually float if dropped into water.  A genius design.

My AR7 was kind of picky about the ammo it would digest, but was reliable if I stuck to certain brands of .22 LR.

Unfortunately, I no longer own an AR7 but would like to eventually find another one in stainless.

I wish Savage would restart production of at least a few models of the 24 line, or even just the 24C.  I'd also like to see them update the design, with modern composite stocks and stainless steel barrels and locks.

I think a stainless version of this classic gun would sell well, if they kept the price at something reasonable.  Look at the prices that even well-used 24Cs go for today.

If Savage won't do it, it seems like a good opportunity for a smaller company to bring forth their own lightweight rifle-shotgun design.

There is obviously a demand out there for survivalist guns like these.

N

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 01:40:46 PM

I love .22lr...I've got a winchester model 67 bolt action rifle that was give to me by my dad about 20 years ago, and it is still ultra reliable and dead-on accurate..a great rifle for small game and target shooting.

Here's what I'm looking at for my next purchase...http://www.henryrepeating.com/h007_acubolt.cfm
"

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 03:49:02 PM
Very nice. :)  I like the henry leverguns.  I have always wanted a levergun in .22.  I have shot the Ar-7 quite a bit.  I believe that as a backpackers gun you could not ask for more except for a 24 C.  Although the Ar-7 breaks down into a smaller package.  If I did a lot of backpacking I guess that I would probally carry my Ruger Mk III just because I feel that I am accurate enough with it and it is definately smaller than the smallest carbine. 

Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 04:09:18 PM
All this talk of 22lr rifles is making me insanely jealous, stop it immediatley >:( ;) ;D ;D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 06:31:44 PM
It is depressing isn't it.  Dont get too down though.  If the left wing bloodsuckers get into office here in the next election we wont have any guns either and you'll have company in that depressed state.  I hate the fact that anyone wants to restrict gun ownership.  I say that if you want a mini gun, great you can have it.  Besides, if you have the money to feed that thing you probally will not have a need to rob a bank. 

Back on topic.  I was just reading through the backwoodsman magazine.  I seen a neat gadget.  Caliber adapters that convert rifles to smaller bore pistol cartridges for a single shot anyway.  I knew that they made them for shotguns but it would make a rifle twice as versitle.   

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 06:47:45 PM
Check this out, I found a thread about it on another forum, then went to the website to check it out. They also make a similar model in a non-takedown form.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/70PSS.aspx
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69