Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interesting bit for the LM Charge

geoemt · 43 · 7059

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Interesting bit for the LM Charge
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2007, 11:31:35 PM
any more ideas of tools that could be made to fit the bit holder?

Also any ideas on how easy it would be to then make these? What it would require?

Would Leatherman themselves be willing to do this? Would add more versatility to any of their tools with a bit holder.

I've pondered on this one for awhile, but haven't came up with any more bit-type ideas. Actually though, it seems like the chisel and the awl could both be useful.

How to make them? I imagine a person could try to modify a standard driver bit. These bits are hardened, so a bench grinder would be the only choice. Hold onto the bit with a pair of locking pliers I suppose? Care would have to be taken to keep the bit from getting too hot, which would ruin the temper.

It all seems doable.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 08, 2007, 11:42:37 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you get an awl or a chisel onto a bit?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: April 08, 2007, 11:46:29 PM
Hehe...hold that thought for a few minutes. I've got a bench grinder out in the garage....I'll go give it a try and post some pictures.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 01:14:04 AM
cant wait for this, should be  :o good  :grin:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 02:36:00 AM
Sorry, it took awhile longer than I expected. (Hmmm...it seems like I say that a lot!) I had a couple of extra #4 phillips bits that were leftover from a deck I built last year. First I ground two large flats onto the hex shank so it would fit into a Leatherman bit driver socket.

Then I flipped the bit around to grind a pointy awl on the other end. Doing the grinding by hand, it wasn't coming out very well. So I put the bit into an electric drill.

This worked A LOT better! The pointy end came out a lot truer and more professional looking.
(Note: the grinding wheel and the electric drill are spinning at full RPM in this photo. The shutter speed on my camera froze them both in place.)

Then I ground a couple of flats along the point, to give the awl some "bight" when you twist it.

Another view of it. I put a small flat chisel-tip on the end, so it would be able to start holes into wood and such.

The whole kit. Notice the original phillips bit that I started with.

~Bob

Offline supratentorial

Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 05:19:49 AM
Cool!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 07:30:47 AM
Amazing stuff Bob. Love the idea of the drill spinning the bit while grinding it down on the wheel.

Have you tested the awl at all? Has it retained the hardness of the bit from which its made? If so, then you've just added another tool onto any of your LMs with bit drivers. Pretty nifty.

So, when are you going to start mass producing these  :grin: ?

Any ideas on how to create a chisel?

Tell you the truth though I'm most interested in the awl (although I'm sure the chisel could also come in qutie useful in places), very pleased this is a viable option to put the tool onto LMs with bit drivers.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 02:08:11 AM
Have you tested the awl at all? Has it retained the hardness of the bit from which its made?

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. However, it still has the required hardness (tested with a file). The important thing is to quench the bit often while grinding, so it never gets hot enough to ruin the temper.

I've got another idea for making the chisel (and the awl). I'm thinking it would be better if both types of bit can be short enough and flattened for their entire length so as to be able to fit into the Leatherman bit kit carrier.

Pictures to follow shortly....

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 07:14:44 AM
I'm thinking it would be better if both types of bit can be short enough and flattened for their entire length so as to be able to fit into the Leatherman bit kit carrier.

That would definately be better than having to carry the awl and chisel bit in a different way, even though if that was the case it would still be better than not having them at all! So hopefully you'll get good results, but even if not, the results so far are looking pretty good.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:34 PM

Putting a bevel and edge on a flat driver bit is one possibility.

I've pondered on this one for awhile, but haven't came up with any more bit-type ideas. Actually though, it seems like the chisel and the awl could both be useful.

I thought of a couple others but they aren't all useful...  How about one of those magnesium strikers for starting camp fires?

For the smoker or new dad, how about a cigar punch?

A back scratcher probably wouldn't be a very practical addition  ::)

And a lightning rod probably wouldn't be very practical either  :o

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:01:55 PM by supratentorial »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 02:41:38 PM
.. Im thinking you could make a lot of potential tools to fit in the bit driver as long as they dont need a sawing motion that could pull the bit out. A...

A handcuff key bit might be useful for police (and crooks).
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 05:59:56 AM
My second attempt at the awl blade came out much better (and easier) than my first try. I decided to post it down in the MOD section.

Link:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=1111.new

~Bob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: June 21, 2016, 05:23:06 AM
I actually found a thread pertaining to the Noks tools sLaughtermed :D Don't think it will have anything new in it but it is a reference that I couldn't overlook :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%