Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need options for a knife for a friend

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Need options for a knife for a friend
on: February 17, 2011, 01:52:12 AM
So one of my colleagues has realized his need for a folder. He asked me for advice and thus I'm trying to help him find a knife of his own. He likes the style of size of my Kabar Dozier, only thing is he'd like a combo blade, and would like the knife to be under $30, preferably close to $20. It'll be a work knife, so no need to get too fancy. So far the only option I've found that really fits his bill is a Gerber Paraframe. What other options have I missed? There have to be some *decent* options besides gas station mystery steel. 
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Need options for a knife for a friend
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:59:13 AM
Something from Byrd perhaps?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:47 AM
Something from Byrd perhaps?

Yeps. For sure. Other choices include SRM, Vic, and LM.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:32 AM
Oh man I totally forgot Byrd.....and he's not really a Vic kinda guy. (his loss  :P)
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:24 AM
Good quality, locking folder for under $20?

-SanRenMu just about anything (though you'll have to order it online from China)
-Byrd Robin CE
-Byrd Meadowlark CE
-CRKT Pazoda
-CRKT Lake 111Z2
-CRKT Drifter
-Leatherman C33X

The CRKT knives have lifetime warranties, the Leatherman has a 25 year warranty, the Byrd knives have 1 year warranties.  The SanRenMu knives have only importer warranties. 

My choice out of that pack would likely be one of the three CRKTs - their Chinese made stuff is pretty good.

IF you can accept plain edge knives, you could also get:

-Kershaw Half Ton
-Buck Bantam (three size choices)

If you can stretch the price point to $30, you could also get:

-Leatherman E33LX

If you can get your buddy to stretch it up to $30, the E33LX is a HUGE upgrade to any of the knives listed thus far, as it's got much better steel (154CM vs. 420HC or 8Cr13MoV)

Seriously, forget the Gerbers.  Not worth the money.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:27:26 AM
-SanRenMu just about anything (though you'll have to order it online from China)

EDCDepot has them in the US. A little more expensive, but still well within your budget. They don't stock any CE SRM.

My choice out of that pack would likely be one of the three CRKTs - their Chinese made stuff is pretty good.
Because they really are SRM. :D

I'm not really trying to push SRM, but really most likely SRM will building most good knives in that price range. If the warranty is important though definitely not on the SRM (SRM branded not SRM made).

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:32:52 AM

I'm not really trying to push SRM, but really most likely SRM will building most good knives in that price range. If the warranty is important though definitely not on the SRM (SRM branded not SRM made).

Oh, I have no doubt much of CRKT's stuff is made by SRM, and for that fact I quite like SRM's stuff.  However, CRKT is available in many brick and mortars and from many US-based web dealers, and they're generally a heckuva lot faster to get than ordering from China (especially in the next little while as the Chinese sites work through the Spring Festival backlog).

Also, CRKT has truly excellent warranty service, which is a nice bonus for not a heck of a lot more money.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:58 AM

Oh, I have no doubt much of CRKT's stuff is made by SRM, and for that fact I quite like SRM's stuff.  However, CRKT is available in many brick and mortars and from many US-based web dealers, and they're generally a heckuva lot faster to get than ordering from China (especially in the next little while as the Chinese sites work through the Spring Festival backlog).

Also, CRKT has truly excellent warranty service, which is a nice bonus for not a heck of a lot more money.

All true.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:06:53 PM
Having owned a Gerber paraframe I can tell you its a garbage knife, and totally turned me off to Gerber. I would reccommend the E33 blade from Leatherman. In fact I am surprised I don't have one, and will be ordering one of them myself.
(insert witty quote)

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 12:41:48 AM
Recommend the half serrated Byrd Meadowlark. Nice knife! :tu:

us Offline Makaveli

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:36:09 AM
I'd say Kershaw Skyline as it's been my EDC lately.  Maybe Ontario RAT 1, but that's a beast of a knife as an EDC for me.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:05:22 PM
i agree on the byrd range of knives, the robin with SS handles is nice, and had a meadowlark a very good knife  :tu:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:18:29 AM
I agree that Paraframes are trash... don't bother unless you want to waste your money and lose a friend.

I just got a Spyderco Tenacious and it's easily the best quality Chinese made knife I've ever owned.  Got it for $35 shipped; 3 3/8" blade, flat ground, good (but not great of course) steel, came out of the box razor sharp, G10 scales on the handle/frame, strongest liner lock I've ever seen on a knife (I've traditionally avoided liner locks because of my bad experiences with previously mentioned Paraframe), and the fastest and smoothest non-assisted action of any knife I've had.

They make a little brother called the Persistence with a 2 3/4" blade, and a big brother called the Resilience with a 4 1/4" blade.  I'm planning on getting a Resilience in the near future.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline asupernothing

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:19:51 AM
I agree that Paraframes are trash... don't bother unless you want to waste your money and lose a friend.

I just got a Spyderco Tenacious and it's easily the best quality Chinese made knife I've ever owned.  Got it for $35 shipped; 3 3/8" blade, flat ground, good (but not great of course) steel, came out of the box razor sharp, G10 scales on the handle/frame, strongest liner lock I've ever seen on a knife (I've traditionally avoided liner locks because of my bad experiences with previously mentioned Paraframe), and the fastest and smoothest non-assisted action of any knife I've had.

They make a little brother called the Persistence with a 2 3/4" blade, and a big brother called the Resilience with a 4 1/4" blade.  I'm planning on getting a Resilience in the near future.

My favorite liner lock is my Benchmade Torrent 890, that knife finds its way into my pocket most often.
I would also recommend trying out both the Spyderco CBBL and the Benchmade Axis lock. The ambidextrous opening/closing is great.
(insert witty quote)

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:45 AM

My favorite liner lock is my Benchmade Torrent 890, that knife finds its way into my pocket most often.
I would also recommend trying out both the Spyderco CBBL and the Benchmade Axis lock. The ambidextrous opening/closing is great.

I'm kind of hooked on Spydies now...  I want to get both a Resilience and a Persistence... and then I saw that Manix with the moonglow handle... and I like the rescue knives they have too... 

If I spend another dime though, my wife is gonna kill me... probably with the knife I just bought!   :ahhh
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline asupernothing

Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:09 AM

I'm kind of hooked on Spydies now...  I want to get both a Resilience and a Persistence... and then I saw that Manix with the moonglow handle... and I like the rescue knives they have too... 

If I spend another dime though, my wife is gonna kill me... probably with the knife I just bought!   :ahhh

I also really like Spyderco. They seem to be making some of the most usable knives. The VG10 steel has grown on me immensely, it can take and hold an incredible edge. VG10+FFG is an incredible combo and I would recommend the Delica/Endura combo in FFG while its still available. Maybe a bit off topic since they are a bit above the price range...
(insert witty quote)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD