Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My poor man's Sebenza

edap617 · 116 · 24088

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Re: My poor man's Sebenza
Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:18 AM
more nice pics my zed!
your keychain looks similar to mine.
less keys...more of everything else.  LOL

cheers mate, now what shall i do with my extras 710 ? feel some modding coming on  :D

you should mod one and then sell me the modded one. =p

:D  no clue what to do with it yet, poss scales of some kind or grind work on the slabs  :think:

well whatever you do, you HAVE to post pics.
been diggin your pics.

cheers mate, i will post some pics but might not be for a while as kids off school for 2 weeks so no fiddling time, i have got some material here for scales i might use, but i might polish the blade ,remove the grip work and blue the thumb studs  ::)  although i lke the idea of grinds on the slabs, ill see i have copied a lot od CR sebenza pics to my phottos for ideas  :tu:

get the kids a new xbox game.
cheaper than a baby sitter.
then get to work.  lol

looking forward to seeing the mods!

the 11 year old is ok as she goes out on her bike withher friends but the other 2 are 3-4 so xbox no good yet although both can use the net and go on ther own sites  :D

here are a few ideas ill probably go with a scale idea
(Image removed from quote.)

i like this
I like a lot of attention to detail.
if you can, you should engrave a bunch of random wierd designs.
but, thats just me though.
Maybe I'll have to mod mine.  =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:55 AM
I have ordered from the guy i got my first 710 a l03-2 with wood handles so might wait till that comes in first and see how it feels,

here is the larger l03-2 with bee re branding

and the rather nice carbon scales

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:03 AM
more nice pics my zed!

cheers mate, now what shall i do with my extras 710 ? feel some modding coming on  :D

:D  no clue what to do with it yet, poss scales of some kind or grind work on the slabs  :think:

been diggin your pics.

cheers mate, i will post some pics but might not be for a while as kids off school for 2 weeks so no fiddling time, i have got some material here for scales i might use, but i might polish the blade ,remove the grip work and blue the thumb studs  ::)  although i lke the idea of grinds on the slabs, ill see i have copied a lot od CR sebenza pics to my phottos for ideas  :tu:

I have just managed to cut up some walnut in to flat parallel pieces if you want to try some Mate  :tu: (harder to do than it sounds   :o )
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 10:07:09 AM
more nice pics my zed!

been diggin your pics.

I have just managed to cut up some walnut in to flat parallel pieces if you want to try some Mate  :tu: (harder to do than it sounds   :o )

tony that sounds great mate ,better than the lollypop sticks i was looking at lol,  ::)  cheers mate  :tu:

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: April 22, 2011, 03:20:39 AM
I really like my 710 Sanrenmu and I want to get another one, a bigger model.

Does anyone have or knew opf a bigger model with 7" or more overall length?

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #65 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:25 AM
I really like my 710 Sanrenmu and I want to get another one, a bigger model.

Does anyone have or knew opf a bigger model with 7" or more overall length?

There was a large version "Sanrenmu 910", a g10 linerlock, but it has been discontinued as are all of the big ones due to stricter knife laws in China. maybe on the secondary market. :think: but I doubt it.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: April 22, 2011, 03:30:56 AM
Ari6126, thanks for your quick response.

Do you knnow what is the biggest plain edge Sanrenmu that is still in production?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:28 PM
well hould have the bee l03 on its way soon,

not sure if this helps  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #68 on: April 22, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
Ari6126, thanks for your quick response.

Do you knnow what is the biggest plain edge Sanrenmu that is still in production?

As said before, there are no more large sanremus. they were the ones with the  numbers 9xx. I haven't seen any in stock for a few months now. Your best choice now is a a Bee or Enlan knife. like Zed said

Here are a few good ones:

http://www.exduct.com/Bee-Enlan-Knives/L01-1-Bee-Folding-Knife.html
http://www.exduct.com/Bee-Enlan-Knives/EL01-Bee-Folding-Knife.html
http://www.exduct.com/Bee-Enlan-Knives/L05-Bee-Folding-Knife.html
http://www.exduct.com/Bee-Enlan-Knives/L02-Bee-Folding-Knife.html

I just found this. Blade Length: 80mm so 10mm longer than the srm 710

Exduct doesn't stock it anymore but there are 2 on eBay

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 09:00:33 PM
I found a comparison too keep me going till i can compare mine,

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 22, 2011, 09:47:06 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #71 on: April 23, 2011, 12:31:01 AM
got my srm 710.

love it!
its been my edc latly
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #72 on: April 23, 2011, 12:38:53 AM
I'm really not too surprised that nobody cares that Chris Reeve got ripped off.   ::) 
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: April 23, 2011, 02:35:14 AM
I'm really not too surprised that nobody cares that Chris Reeve got ripped off.   ::)

American knife companies rip off designs from each other all the time.  No surprise then that a Chinese company can rip someone off cheaper and faster.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: April 23, 2011, 03:08:05 AM

American knife companies rip off designs from each other all the time.  No surprise then that a Chinese company can rip someone off cheaper and faster.

Did Chris Reeve rip someone off? No, I don't think he did.  :-\ 

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:20 AM
I think the most copied knife is the Buck 110.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: April 23, 2011, 03:16:42 AM

That I can agree with!  :rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: April 23, 2011, 08:17:26 AM
Its life im afraid, chinese make stuff cheaper , for me this dont get used much due to uk laws but i wanted to try one , spending £250 plus on a locl blade that would live its life in a draw seems sad plus dont have that kind of money, there is a lot of politics involved in the whole chinese made debate but not for me as i collect for fun, plus i dont think CR is too out of pocket as these are no threat for a real sebenza  :tu: but still dame good for £10  ;)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: April 23, 2011, 08:16:40 PM
Its life im afraid, chinese make stuff cheaper , for me this dont get used much due to uk laws but i wanted to try one , spending £250 plus on a locl blade that would live its life in a draw seems sad plus dont have that kind of money, there is a lot of politics involved in the whole chinese made debate but not for me as i collect for fun, plus i dont think CR is too out of pocket as these are no threat for a real sebenza  :tu: but still dame good for £10  ;)

I understand your point, but stealing is stealing and its not right no matter how you slice it.  :tu:  If we live in a world where its ok to rip each other off what have we got? Think about it...   ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:48 PM

I understand your point, but stealing is stealing and its not right no matter how you slice it.  :tu:  If we live in a world where its ok to rip each other off what have we got? Think about it...   ;)

not that ive not thought about it and your completly right but it happens, most companys copy stuff , but ye i agree, but forme personaly this is a way to own a frame lock for £10 and not £250-300 and still cant uk carry it, now if i had £250-300 to spend of course i would jump at the chance to own a sebenza as they are sweet, so fingers crossed for the lotter  :D  my biggest thing that anoys me is folk not wanting chinese made knives and say only U.S made knives but there phone/pc/dvd player/etc etc is chinese  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:14 PM

Well i don't think they are actually ripping him off as their intended market is China, a 1,7 billion consumer market. The western knife makers aren't allowed there so Sanrenmu isn't stealing CRK profits, and SRM isn't selling their products in the west. I don't see anything revolutionary in the Sebenza design. It's a framelock, a very well made one with premium materials used, but non the less a simple design. And Sanrenmu never advertised their knives in the west either, as far as I can tell the interest for them came from Britishblades some 4 years ago and they were very difficult to come by back then. If anyone is cutting into CRK profits, it's Bradley Alias targeting the same market and using much better materials than the 710. And something to note, Sanrenmu isn't a small back end company producing low end knock offs, it is one of the largest Chinese knife manufacturers, it is bigger than any western knife manufacturer. I'm quoting what Sal Glesser said on bladeforums, they are producing his Byrd knives and Chinese made Spydercos.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: April 23, 2011, 08:46:50 PM

Well i don't think they are actually ripping him off as their intended market is China, a 1,7 billion consumer market. The western knife makers aren't allowed there so Sanrenmu isn't stealing CRK profits, and SRM isn't selling their products in the west. I don't see anything revolutionary in the Sebenza design. It's a framelock, a very well made one with premium materials used, but non the less a simple design. And Sanrenmu never advertised their knives in the west either, as far as I can tell the interest for them came from Britishblades some 4 years ago and they were very difficult to come by back then. If anyone is cutting into CRK profits, it's Bradley Alias targeting the same market and using much better materials than the 710. And something to note, Sanrenmu isn't a small back end company producing low end knock offs, it is one of the largest Chinese knife manufacturers, it is bigger than any western knife manufacturer. I'm quoting what Sal Glesser said on bladeforums, they are producing his Byrd knives and Chinese made Spydercos.

lots of info there, there is always a market for lower end stuff and i dont think these will ever effect CRK himself,did he invent the frame lock ? im off too google lol  :D

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #82 on: April 23, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
,did he invent the frame lock ?
I believe he did.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: April 23, 2011, 08:50:57 PM
I believe he did.

its a very same idea as a liner lock though just incorporated into the frame  :think:
The Walker Linerlock is a locking system developed by custom knifemaker Michael Walker in 1980 for use on folding knives.[1] When the blade of the knife is in the opened position, it is held in place by a leaf spring (also called a lockbar) that butts up against the tang of the blade to prevent the blade from closing. To release the lock, the user must press the lockbar back toward the handle side, at which time the blade is allowed to close. In the closed position the lockbar rests alongside the handle and the blade.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:46 PM
I believe he did.

its a very same idea as a liner lock though just incorporated into the frame  :think:
The Walker Linerlock is a locking system developed by custom knifemaker Michael Walker in 1980 for use on folding knives.[1] When the blade of the knife is in the opened position, it is held in place by a leaf spring (also called a lockbar) that butts up against the tang of the blade to prevent the blade from closing. To release the lock, the user must press the lockbar back toward the handle side, at which time the blade is allowed to close. In the closed position the lockbar rests alongside the handle and the blade.

:think: I thought Walker invented the linerlock AND the framelock. Live and learn.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:17 PM
I believe he did.

:think: I thought Walker invented the linerlock AND the framelock. Live and learn.

i found that on a google search on a wiki thingy  :D its a very similar idea,

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: April 23, 2011, 10:41:26 PM

My first ever knife was a mini knock-off Buck 110.  I think I received it as a gift when I was 8 or 9 years old.  I still have the knife today.  (Ah, the memories...)
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: April 24, 2011, 02:59:56 AM

You're missing my point. They stole Mr. Reeve's design and are making and selling them in China. Still theft in my book. What a sad world we live in...  :(

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: April 24, 2011, 06:25:20 AM

You're missing my point. They stole Mr. Reeve's design and are making and selling them in China. Still theft in my book. What a sad world we live in...  :(

We're not missing your point.  We just don't agree with it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: April 24, 2011, 07:47:13 AM
no i agree they have taken his idea and made it cheaper, look at the car market etc, no real difference really its life, if i owned a sebenza i might jump on this but as i dont and never probably will this is where im at with this, its a cheap but ok solution for my personal needs, right or wrong, its buisness, has CRK got patent on the frame lock  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%