Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It is time to buy my first knife, please help me spend my money

us Offline lovenhim

Hello everyone.  I am about to buy my first knife.  I have the multitools that I like because of this forum and now want to trust everyone with help in picking my first knife.  Now I already have a thread going about this listed here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,27886.0.html

Based on the information from this thread and some of my own thoughts I think I will make a list and then ask you to vote and help me pick a quality folding knife.  Lets have some fun and I am still open to ideas.
     Now because of GadgetGuy I have a Kershaw Skyline on the way.  Now I met with my cousin and I do not have it yet but he has some knives and he has two of the same knife, so he is going to give me a Kershaw Leek.  Knowing this information, what would you buy if you have $50 total including tax and shipping to spend?

I was trying to add a poll and let you vote on some options but I do not see a way to do this, so help on this would be nice. Here are some choices that I like from the pics Online:

Kershaw Storm
Spyderco Tenacious
Sog Flash 2
Buck Vantage Series
Ontario Rat
CRKT KISS
Leatherman E33L
111MM OHO Victorinox Sentinel
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:52:45 AM by lovenhim »
When In doubt, C4

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Want us to spend your money? That's simple: buy 'em all >:D. Seriously, I have two of the knives that you have listed, the Vantage and the Flash 2. I like the Vantage better. They're both roughly the same size, and the Flash is lighter. But the Buck just feels better in my hands. I like the Buck's pocket clip and its attachment better. I also prefer a plain edge over the combo that my flash has. Most importantly, my flash has some blade wobble issues, and this isn't my first SOG to have that problem, I had a twitch 2 that I ended up throwing out because the blade would wobble up and down, side to side way too much. The Buck is quick to open one handed, though not quite as fast as the SOG. That, however is a small issue to me. Personally I like Kershaw's AO action better than the SOG. That Leek you have coming is a great knife, I have a black one that I absolutely love.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline gunga

Near mint delica 4, ffg, like the one I'm selling.

:)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
lovenhim,

I own four of the knives you have listed.......I'd personally get the Buck Vantage first. With the Kershaw Storm and the Ontario Rat both as a choice for second.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline lovenhim

I have been looking at a lot of knives Online and reading everything that is being shared with me.  I am leaning towards the Buck Vantage Avid Large right now.  I did not like it at first because of its looks, it is not very pretty.  That being said, looks are not what matters in an EDC knife, it is how well the thing feels and works.  In my price range it seems that the Buck Vantage just has things right, good overall value when you get it from Amazon.  One thing that is a bonus to me is that from what I can tell, this knife is made in the USA....I like that little bit of icing on the cake. 
When In doubt, C4

ca Offline gunga

You can also pick up a Buck Vantage from Walmart for like $25 or so.  It's the lower model, but still quite nice.  I had one but decided to return it because it was too big for me.   Still, nice knife!

us Offline lovenhim

You can also pick up a Buck Vantage from Walmart for like $25 or so.  It's the lower model, but still quite nice.  I had one but decided to return it because it was too big for me.   Still, nice knife!

By the way my friend, I have been looking at your Spyderco Online and I am not sure if I want that or the Tenacious.  LOL  So many knives, one small amount of money, so I want to make this count.  LOL  :) 

UPDATE:

Alright everyone.  Here is what I have decided to do.  I have placed my choice of knife in my wife's hands.  She is my best friend, so I have asked her to pick a knife for me so it will be a surprise rather than knowing what I will get for my birthday.  I sent her an email with links for 4 knives:

Spyderco Tenacious
Ontario Rat
Leatherman E33L
Buck Vantage Avid

I think that I will be happy with any of these as my first folding knife.  I will let you know what I get when I get it.  Thank you all for the help and advice.  I do not think that I can go wrong with any of these picks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:45:25 PM by lovenhim »
When In doubt, C4

us Offline lovenhim

Alright everyone.  We have a winner.  My wife looked at the knives that I listed and she did some fast reading and looking at reviews online and she has purchased for me......(and I know this from the confirmation email)..... a Spyderco Tenacious.  For a giggle because it was cute she also bought a Spyderco Bug SS slipjoint knife.  So now I know what my first folding knife will be.  Thanks to everyone for all of the help.  I will post pics once I receive it. 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline choombak

You won't be disappointed at the Tenacious (and your wife made the right choice in my opinion) - its the best knife for that money, and has the Spyderco fit and finish. All tenacious folders I've handled came razor sharp from the factory. Make sure you invest in a good sharpening system as well (Spyderco sharpmaker is my favorite). Remember, a sharp knife is a safe knife.

Offline joelan

You won't be disappointed at the Tenacious (and your wife made the right choice in my opinion) - its the best knife for that money, and has the Spyderco fit and finish. All tenacious folders I've handled came razor sharp from the factory. Make sure you invest in a good sharpening system as well (Spyderco sharpmaker is my favorite). Remember, a sharp knife is a safe knife.

I agree. The Tenacious is a great knife for the money. The blade is made in China but it is of good quality.  :tu:

us Offline lovenhim

My birthday is on 5/24, so the knife will come early.  I am hoping that other money may come in and with that I was going to buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker so that I can maintain that knife and my few multis with it.  I am excited about the new knife.
When In doubt, C4

us Offline lovenhim

Well here it is, the Spyderco Bug that my wife bought with the Tenacious she bought for me.  She can has this little spyder.  Here it is next to a Kershaw Leek.

When In doubt, C4

us Offline lovenhim

Well, what can I say....throught gifts I have gone from not owning a knife to owning all of this.  I am so excited and happy.  Thanks for all the help.

From top to bottom:

E. Johnson Mora
Case knife
Kershaw Skyline
Kershaw Leek
Spyderco Tenacious
When In doubt, C4

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
That's a good start you have there. Be careful, pointy objects can be highly addictive! ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline lovenhim

I live on a fixed income so I do not have the $$$ to keep adding to a collection.  I feel very blessed and lucky to have these knives sent to me....I consider it a wonderful gift for my birthday this month. 
When In doubt, C4

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD