Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who makes knives in the USA?

us Offline lovenhim

Who makes knives in the USA?
on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:55 PM
Hello everyone.  I am wondering which brands and product lines from the major brands are made in the USA?  I know Buck and Spyderco for example have knives made in China and the USA.  So which knives are USA made?  :)  Thanks for the help.
When In doubt, C4

us Offline Makaveli

Re: Who makes knives in the USA?
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:00:28 AM
GEC

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:11:47 AM
Spyderco:  If the knife is US-made, it'll have "Golden" somewhere in the description (for Golden, Colorado where the company is based).

Kershaw:  Anything made with Sandvik steel is made in the US.

Buck:  Almost all of Buck's products are made in the US with the exception of the multitools (Tekut, I believe) and the Nobleman line (SanRenMu).

Benchmade:  Benchmade Blue and Black class knives are made in the US.  Parts of their other classes (H&K, Harley-Davidson, Bone Collector) are made in the US, but it's on a knife-by-knife basis.

Leatherman:  All Leatherman folding knives are made in the US.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:27:19 AM
Spyderco:  If the knife is US-made, it'll have "Golden" somewhere in the description (for Golden, Colorado where the company is based).

Kershaw:  Anything made with Sandvik steel is made in the US.

Buck:  Almost all of Buck's products are made in the US with the exception of the multitools (Tekut, I believe) and the Nobleman line (SanRenMu).

Benchmade:  Benchmade Blue and Black class knives are made in the US.  Parts of their other classes (H&K, Harley-Davidson, Bone Collector) are made in the US, but it's on a knife-by-knife basis.

Leatherman:  All Leatherman folding knives are made in the US.

Thank you for this help.  I just like to support products made in the USA, not to say other products are bad or anything, just like to support what we do in our country. 
When In doubt, C4

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:05 AM
Some, if not all, of Buck´s current 3** series (slipjoints) are made in China, in a factory that makes several other, good quality, slipjoints like for example RR knives.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:59:21 PM
Some, if not all, of Buck´s current 3** series (slipjoints) are made in China, in a factory that makes several other, good quality, slipjoints like for example RR knives.

dks,

Only some are made China. Buck still produces a whole slew of USA made slipjoints in various blade configurations and sizes. MOF just this year they added a 4 more new ones to their list.

lovenhim,

For factory manufactured American Made folders, both locking and non-locking here is a list of brands to look at.....

Buck
Kershaw
Benchmade
Spyderco
Queen Cutlery
Schatt & Morgan
Robeson
Kabar
MooreMaker
Utica/Kutmaster
Canal Street Cutlery
Case
Colonel Coon
Bulldog USA
Great Eastern Cutlery
Tidioute
Northfield
Tuna Valley
Titusville Cutlery
Bear & Son
Remington
Ontario Knife Company
Cripple Creek
Gerber (has some)
Northwoods
Scagel
TOPS
Emerson
Bradley Cutlery
Hogue Knives
Zero Tolerance

To name a few! Some of these brands are manufactured by other brands listed, or a combination there of. And some have folders made both in the USA as well as overseas. But these will give you a starting point.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:15 PM
Just curious, why do americans care so much that stuff is USA made?

people in the uk from my experience couldn't care less where stuff comes from as long as it does the job and is good quality
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:40:10 PM

people in the uk from my experience couldn't care less where stuff comes from as long as it does the job and is good quality

Many Americans are tired of their manufacturing jobs being outsourced to cheap, overseas labor.  Those Americans want the money they earn to help the fellow American earn his.  It's a form of national pride.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:44:17 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:53 PM

Alot of it has to do with the millions of American jobs lost to overseas production. It's rather important that we try to support the American manufacturers that still exist. That said it's also a matter of national pride, heritage, history, as well as a level of nostalgia.

Knives are part of our culture, and many have a historical significance to us. Alot of us grew up with fathers and grandfathers who carried American made knives.....it's only right we do the same.

And for many of us, myself included, the best made knives.....be they lockers, slippies, tacticals, fixed blades, custom or factory.....come from the USA.

There's alot more to it than just this, but it pretty much sums it up.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:43:17 AM
Sometimes we bring it even closer to home.  Being from Michigan I would like to own a Northwoods knife and a vintage Marbles.
Tick Magnet

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:58 AM
Sometimes we bring it even closer to home.  Being from Michigan I would like to own a Northwoods knife and a vintage Marbles.

You own any Bark Rivers?

2xTap

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:07:24 AM
Gerber.  :pommel:

Well some of them.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:39:53 AM

Sweet!  Another Michigander!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:13 PM

You own any Bark Rivers?

2xTap

I was under the impression that Bark River knives were marketed by a Michigan company, but mad elsewhere.

Tick Magnet

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:59 PM

Alot of it has to do with the millions of American jobs lost to overseas production. It's rather important that we try to support the American manufacturers that still exist. That said it's also a matter of national pride, heritage, history, as well as a level of nostalgia.

Knives are part of our culture, and many have a historical significance to us. Alot of us grew up with fathers and grandfathers who carried American made knives.....it's only right we do the same.

And for many of us, myself included, the best made knives.....be they lockers, slippies, tacticals, fixed blades, custom or factory.....come from the USA.

2xTap

Fair enough, seems like mornings uk made anymore :/
I

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:53 PM

2xTap

Fair enough, seems like mornings uk made anymore :/

there are some knives still coming out from sheffield ryan, but sadly we lost out to the chinese imports a long time ago, sadly the uk is too small a island to keep up, we could fit like the good old U.S but we would still be over priced for folk in the uk with everything generally costing the earth and jobs paying crap  :D  ive never had a problem with some of the chinese knives ive had, but i do like a knife with a good history  :tu:

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:42:27 PM

Always good to see another Michigan native here, Mike.   

Do you know the origin of the word "Michigander"?  I'll share it with you if you'd like.  You will refer to yourself as a Michiganian after finding out.
Tick Magnet

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 04:26:34 PM

Hello my friend.  :)  I think for me it comes down to how I was raised.  I was taught that items made in the USA were made better than an item from say China or Japan.  My dad while working on a car would show me the difference between say a toolkit made in China vs. his Craftsman tools....and of course the China toolset would not be made as well or as to the same standards. 
     I was always brought up around Fods cars and trucks.  I had never been in a Toyota until I was about 15 years old.  I think that most Americans do not really care where items come from just as long as it may meet their needs.  For example....look at how many Honda and Toyota cars we buy here.  Many people do not care where their iPhone is made just as long as they can visit Facebook on it. 
     I will admit that my way of thinking is not right in that there are other places in this world that can make wonderful products, I was just taught to be "narrow minded" I think and for me that has to change.  That mindset is outdated now.
When In doubt, C4

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 04:43:04 PM
Most foreign car companies actually make most of their cars here to get out of paying import tax.  Just in GA alone I know: Porsche, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Also, most firearms made by Glock are made in Smyrna, GA, but they are an Austrian company.  Also, ESEE knives are all made in the US with the exception of their Lite Machete which is made in South America and the grips are made and installed here.

More knives to add:
CRK
Strider
Emerson
Hinderer
Busse and Busse kin

These are on the higher end of knives, but all are very proud to be made in the USA.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 10:12:25 PM

You own any Bark Rivers?

2xTap

I was under the impression that Bark River knives were marketed by a Michigan company, but mad elsewhere.

Oh no, Barkies are hand made in the UP. Escanaba, MI. to be exact. Extremely well made pieces, and the sharpest knives in my collection. Their full Convex grind can be scary sharp right out of the box.

If you want a well made knife from Michigan, look no further than Bark River. Mike Stewart and his crew build some sweet knives.

2xTap

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:52 PM
Oops, my mistake.  There is a company that designs knives in Michigan, but contracts the manufacturing to other companies, but I can't think of the name.

I drive through Escanaba once or twice every year.  Does Bark River give tours?
Tick Magnet

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 11:06:52 PM

Always good to see another Michigan native here, Mike.   

Do you know the origin of the word "Michigander"?  I'll share it with you if you'd like.  You will refer to yourself as a Michiganian after finding out.

I didn't until I just looked it up :)  I think I'll refer to myself as a Michiganiac :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:46 PM
Oops, my mistake.  There is a company that designs knives in Michigan, but contracts the manufacturing to other companies, but I can't think of the name.

I drive through Escanaba once or twice every year.  Does Bark River give tours?

Not sure on tours, but I know they have a store front at their facility. Also, and I am still not sure they are still doing these, but they use to have Grind-Ins every year. Scheduled days where you could go there and design and build your own knife using their materials and equipment...with their help. It was done through their Forum on KF, not just something you could walk in on. And they did other things like this.

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%