Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for Wenger?

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any love for Wenger?
Reply #3660 on: March 18, 2021, 03:32:55 AM
I love Wenger. As a lefty I give them beau coup kudos for fully left handed knives.

Wenger showed there was a way to do it slightly differently and with distinct advantage.

The cap lifter is a short knife that is very useful as a pull ull up and back cutter for twine and fishing line. I use it quite a bit that way. It could easily be modified to an effective seat belt cutter if Wenger were still in biz. And I have even mastered screwing withe rounded tip, though it is sub optimal.

The two position pliers are very good, also.

And wrench was way ahead of its time.

But my problem with Wenger remains their willingness to stick with ineffective solutions, or useless ornament.

They carried on indefinitely with sub par scissors that just don’t cut much but paper and that are susceptible to  loss of springy function from gunk and corrosion.

I am supposed to prefer Wenger scissors because the spring won’t break. But the scissors never cut that well. My Vic’s spring breaks once in a great while, 99 percent of the time they cut the way I want. I prefer the Vic trade off. I will find a way to limp through a broken spring once in a great while for top cutting all the time.

The short chain was also useless—too short for a lanyard, and unnecessary if you add a lanyard.

The blade lock works good new but wears out. It was too flimsy to have stuck with IMHO. 

Wenger’s sense of smaller size, higher tool density, and better scale ergos are deeply missed by me.

But on some level they lacked the seriousness of purpose about getting function right to keep me from preferring Victorinox’s durable, effective tools. 

I love and trust my s557, EXCEPT for the blade lock and the scissors. I sense they will fail me sooner or later at normal function they claim to provide. I don’t sense the same risk from my victorinox knives.

I want my knife to come through in a pinch.

That’s why I carry a SAK.

Some very interesting observations Sarge   :tu:

I'm a lefty too but TBH I'm so used to living in a right hand world, it doesn't really worry me either way but may explain my (subconscious?) extra fondness for Wenger, always felt kind of special, not better just special, a kind of rare beast

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3661 on: March 26, 2021, 02:07:26 AM
 :iagree:. There's something about Wengers.... I love them.  I'm a lefty, too, but have learned to adapt in a right hand world :D
Barry

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #3662 on: April 03, 2021, 07:09:31 AM
:iagree:. There's something about Wengers.... I love them.  I'm a lefty, too, but have learned to adapt in a right hand world :D

Yes, we all have to pass for right handers most of the time.

What lefty hasn’t had to toast right handed at his her wedding, unless he were marrying another lefty?

We all fake it very well.

Right handers almost never remark on my opposite handed-ness.

But whenever I get a product designed for a left hander, it just feels so comfortable and intuitive that I am envious of right handers getting to live in a world designed to suit them.

The one thing I am really grateful for is living in a right lane driving country, because it feels so intuitive to enter and be in the car on the left side. There are a few things like that. I have not yet owned an OHO Victorinox Sentinel, but I am told that Victorinox accidentally made them very left hand friendly. 

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #3663 on: April 03, 2021, 08:21:39 PM
Wenger Morning roll call.

Traveler Lefty. HERE!

Cyclist. HERE!

EVO S557. HERE!

All present and accounted for, Sgt.

As you were.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #3664 on: April 04, 2021, 03:12:27 PM
 :like: :cheers:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3665 on: April 04, 2021, 04:02:31 PM
 :tu: :like: :tu:
Barry

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #3666 on: April 04, 2021, 07:52:46 PM
 :iagree:  :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

Offline Time22

Reply #3667 on: April 05, 2021, 01:57:07 AM
Good evening!
I.jpg
* I.jpg (Filesize: 424.86 KB)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3668 on: April 05, 2021, 05:25:07 AM
:dd:

de Offline BenHSK

Reply #3669 on: May 07, 2021, 09:34:31 PM
Now I own my first Wengers. There was no plan to collect Wenger SAKs too, but in a shop in my town I found two models I like. They lays in the shop for a long time, I think.
It’s a Soft Touch an a Junior Explorer.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3670 on: May 08, 2021, 02:09:55 AM
Nice Ben :like:
Hope to see you and them in the Delemont challenge in October :tu:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #3671 on: May 08, 2021, 04:16:07 AM
 :iagree: :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

de Offline BenHSK

Reply #3672 on: May 08, 2021, 08:48:00 PM
Nice Ben :like:
Hope to see you and them in the Delemont challenge in October :tu:

I'm still undecided whether I want to keep it or sell it.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #3673 on: September 26, 2021, 12:44:37 AM
Finally got my hands on a reasonably priced Wenger EKA #3 off eBay. Should have took some before pics because it was in pretty rough shape, but I went straight into fix up mode right away. Had a bent corkscrew and blade. Tarnished all over with virtually zero snap. Now it’s straight and true with decent snap. I never wanted to pay too much for one of these because I always thought I’d hate the bubinga wood scales. Now that I have it I find not only are they really comfortable, but also look great.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3674 on: September 26, 2021, 01:42:25 AM
Finally got my hands on a reasonably priced Wenger EKA #3 off eBay. Should have took some before pics because it was in pretty rough shape, but I went straight into fix up mode right away. Had a bent corkscrew and blade. Tarnished all over with virtually zero snap. Now it’s straight and true with decent snap. I never wanted to pay too much for one of these because I always thought I’d hate the bubinga wood scales. Now that I have it I find not only are they really comfortable, but also look great.

Really nice Pa, those scales are lovely :like:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #3675 on: September 26, 2021, 08:00:02 AM
 :iagree: looks great!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #3676 on: September 26, 2021, 10:23:33 PM
Thanks guys, may grab the other three models if I get a chance

cz Offline Vinz Clortho

• No Life Club
  • ♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪
Reply #3677 on: October 29, 2021, 05:44:23 PM
exp((-(((x-4)^2+(y-4)^2)^2))/999)+exp((-(((x+4)^2+(y+4)^2)^2))/999)+0.1*exp(-(((x+4)^2+(y+4)^2)^2))+0.1*exp(-(((x-4)^2+(y-4)^2)^2))

us Offline Aloxfan

Any love for Wenger?
Reply #3678 on: November 04, 2021, 05:26:11 PM
Yes tons of love as of late. It started years back with an EVO 17 SoftTouch. Later added an EVO 63 without the keychain loop.

Recently I’ve picked up a Ranger and a SwissBuck. Love the Wenger tools and uniqueness. Kinda sad they are gone. I prefer their can opener as it opens cans better IMO and works as an awesome package opener with the super sharp tip.

Clip point life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3679 on: November 05, 2021, 12:28:08 AM
:like: :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3680 on: November 05, 2021, 02:16:54 AM
I love Wengers too now.

Also really easy to take apart.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Aloxfan

Any love for Wenger?
Reply #3681 on: November 05, 2021, 02:26:01 AM
I love Wengers too now.

Also really easy to take apart.
Oops, I just bought another NIB Wenger off eBay. EVO S101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3682 on: November 05, 2021, 06:59:29 PM
Oops, I just bought another NIB Wenger off eBay. EVO S101.

:tu:

I gotta start thinking about getting some new-ish ones. I’ve been concerned about ruining vintage Wenger scales, but the design seems to lend itself to reattaching without much trouble. Plus so many more tools to mod with and somewhat compatible with both 84mm and 91mm Vics…down another rabbit hole I go!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #3683 on: November 10, 2021, 01:08:03 AM
I see loads of stuff about Vic but not so much on the Wenger line. Any reasons for this?

I can only speak for myself but I simply feel Vic's are better quality. I like the scissors on a vic much better, and Victorinox tools have this distinct "SNAP" sound that I LOVE when you open or shut the blade.  The several Wengers I have owned and used never seemed to have that nice SNAP.  They had more of a .. soft click To me that translated to lesser quality.

Now that being said, In High school, and  when I worked in a factory  I did carry a Wenger every day because I didnt want to scratch up my Vics. I have to admit that my Wenger, I think it is a Highlander, did its job perfectly fine and I have a soft spot in my heart for it. I will attach a picture. I think thats why I never gave it away. I have nothing against Wenger. I just feel Victorinox is slightly better quality. Wenger is still a fine tool.

Here is mine

* wenger.jpg (Filesize: 61.36 KB)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:24:40 AM by Canuckdad »
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #3684 on: November 10, 2021, 01:47:25 AM
I can only speak for myself but I simply feel Vic's are better quality. I like the scissors on a vic much better, and Victorinox tools have this distinct "CLICK" sound that I LOVE when you open or shut the blade.  The several Wengers I have owned and used never seemed to have that nice CLICK. To me that translated to lesser quality.

Now that being said, In High school, and  when I worked in a factory  I did carry a Wenger every day because I didnt want to scratch up my Vics. I have to admit that my Wenger, I think it is a Highlander, did its job perfectly fine and I have a soft spot in my heart for it. I will attach a picture. I think thats why I never gave it away. I have nothing against Wenger. I just feel Victorinox is slightly better quality. Wenger is still a fine tool.

Here is mine
Ya they certainly can feel more budget, but I also like some of their tools more. I prefer Wenger can opener as I don’t find Vic can opener any good as screw driver and I rarely use these for cans. But the Wenger can opener is great for scraping and package opener.

I also love how some Wengers had clip point blades. Much prefer that blade shape over Vic blade or standard Wenger blade.

I actually prefer Wenger scissors as the Vic spring is fiddly and breaks sometimes. The Wenger scissor spring is a spring bar and durable.

Lastly I liked how Wenger added locks to their small knives. And even loved the original Ranger’s. Though thankfully Vic recognized this and made Vic RangerGrip series.

Also have you ever tried the locking standard screwdriver on a Wenger? It’s super cool.

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #3685 on: November 11, 2021, 10:28:09 PM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:48:53 PM by maxdog »

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #3686 on: November 11, 2021, 10:48:13 PM
I think Wenger brought more innovation than Victorinox.   Locking blade in a medium SAK, auto locking screw driver, and ergonomic scales, serrated scissors fed off the backsprings, and lighter in the pocket.  I think the fact Wenger/Delemont series blades are a little thinner than Victorinox isn't because of lower quality, but by design to keep the whole package lighter.  In a slip joint design where everything is held together by 3 pins/rivets, you can't do too much prying anyway, so I'm not sure having overly beefy blades is a benefit.   My S17 is noticeably lighter than my Huntsman.  Those ergonomic scales have grown on me and I do find them really comfortable.  Perfectly contoured for your hand really.  In contrast Victorinox is more traditional in it's approach.  I think both have their merits.

It's a good thing Victorinox, when they acquired Wenger appreciated the innovation and took the best from Wenger and incorporated it into their product set and created the Evolution/Delemont series..  This from Victorinox website: "Embrace change, explore new horizons, progress everyday... This is what the Evolution collection is about."

au Offline Echotech

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #3688 on: November 12, 2021, 05:58:41 PM
Definitely agree. Wenger seemed to have far more innovation than Victorinox. Sometimes silly things but often cool things. Love the push in locking screwdriver.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #3689 on: November 12, 2021, 10:12:53 PM
Amici,
The one thing that struck me about the original Wenger blades is when it came to fit and finish, they were slightly superior than Victorinox. For example, if you hold up a Wenger to the light, you will see that there is no gaps between the springs or the liners. I call this phenomenon, "leaking light". Sure the tweezers and toothpick were not the best from a functional standpoint, but you had a blade that was built and functioned solidly.

Most Victorinox blades are guilty of this, and is one of the only thing that irks me about them. That's why I try to buy pieces that are 1990's and older. Since some, not all, seem to be assembled with tighter tolerances compared to the current models.

What I find ironic, is that I have picked up some Wenger patterns that are now stamped with the Victorinox logo, and all of them have gaps or leak light.. I cannot understand why Victorinox has not corrected this issue, especially after all of these years. Since this is a tooling issue, and not really a QC responsibility. That's why I recommend that if you want a premiere Swisschamp, look for the models with the gray magnifying glass frame, and SOLID cellidor scales.. These are built like literal bank vaults which will serve you faithfully in this world and into the next, what we in EDC land call, "Victorinox Valhalla".. 

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31