Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!) 881691

No Life Club Posts: 1,540
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »

Finished up a new model finally.  No scissors but pliers instead.  Urban Mechanic I guess?

This is the first mod for me with no stock liners at all.  This is using titanium liners and keyring spacer.  Wow it's my first exposure to Ti, and it's a beautiful material, but a royal bitch to finish.  Probably about 5 sheets of sandpaper and an hour or more per liner.  I had to make some 1/2 split mandrels in my drill press to chew through it, hand sanding just doesn't cut it.

I'm happy with the end product though, and wow the pliers have a wicked good snap on them with dual saw backsprings. 

(Image removed from quote.)

It's hard to take a picture of such a tiny part, but here is the titanium keyring spacer all shined up.

A small glimpse of the titanium liners peeking through.

Awesome job!
Hero Member Posts: 660
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
No scissors but pliers instead.  Urban Mechanic I guess?

Replace that can opener with an inline Phillips and you have an Alox Mechanic, which is my favorite 91mm toolset. I consider the can opener the second most expendable 91mm tool right after the multiuseless hook.

There's something special about having pliers and a screwdriver layer wrapped in Alox.

Those ti liners and especially that key ring look so good.  :drool: I had to cut the key ring off the first one I put together with these laser parts :'(  but the customer gets what he wants.

Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,534
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »

Replace that can opener with an inline Phillips and you have an Alox Mechanic, which is my favorite 91mm toolset. I consider the can opener the second most expendable 91mm tool right after the multiuseless hook.

There's something special about having pliers and a screwdriver layer wrapped in Alox.

Those ti liners and especially that key ring look so good.  :drool: I had to cut the key ring off the first one I put together with these laser parts :'(  but the customer gets what he wants.

I agree that a can opener is next to redundant these days, but the screwdriver tip has come in handy more than a few times personally. :)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Hero Member Posts: 501 Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »

Keyrings are good for key's :whistle:

You guys do fantastic work!
Great idea to put the phillips and bottleopener in same layer. Some sort of pliers are always nice to have, many uses. How is it in hand with these tools sticking out? For me a must have is the inline awl, and ofcourse a good blade. Better yet two bladed. Being able to take it apart if a tool breaks, is a big bonus.

Keep the good stuff up  :tu:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,130
And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
Oh no offense intended for the OPs. Please don't take that the wrong way. Both guys are top notch in my book :tu:
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,783 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
Yep I'm a big keyring fan, but not for keys rather for lanyard attachment.  Any knife I carry is literally attached to my belt and dangles in pocket.  I don't want to lose anything!  So I guess I dont specifically need the keyring, but some sort of attachment point at least and the keyring is the most convenient.  I do like the other style as well Vic uses with the keyring anchor as part of the backsprings.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Well, I can understand why people like lanyards. It sure looks nice and it certainly has practical use. On the waterfront for sure. It's just not for me. I don't like dangling carrots in my pocket.
I carry custom belthangers or beltsheats. In hand, after a couple hours of carving a little keyring feels not so little anymore. Anything for an improved handleshape. And after foodprep or work I like to clean my knife quick and easy. It's just..(how do you say in english)..horses for corses?
JMHO
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
Well I got my scales stripped last night.  I tried taking video but it was way too awkward to hold a camera with all my safety gear on and get the job done well.  I'm not a fan of chemical burns so I wear a respirator, old lab coat and full face shield.  I'm glad I have a private backyard or the neighbors would probably call the police since it looks like  I'm some kind of a mad scientist in the backyard with bubbling vats of who knows what!  :rofl:

Nothing like a batch of freshly exposed aluminum though....  These ones are going for 2 colors, red and natural (the gray look) hard anodize.  I'm also going to put in some of the 6061 aluminum liners I made by hand to see how HA on liners looks and holds up.  I think color matched red liners and scales would look cool, and the liners are somewhat protected by the spring sandwich so they should hold up pretty well.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Hero Member Posts: 556 SAK collector and all-purpose geek
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
I agree that a can opener is next to redundant these days

Just goes to show why the SAK has such appeal. One man's meat is another's poison. I use the can opener probably more than any other tool. Every can I open at home is done with a SAK!

"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
I agree that a can opener is next to redundant these days

Just goes to show why the SAK has such appeal. One man's meat is another's poison. I use the can opener probably more than any other tool. Every can I open at home is done with a SAK!

fair enough mate, it just seems that nearly every tin these days comes with a ring-pull top.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,982
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
Well I got my scales stripped last night.  I tried taking video but it was way too awkward to hold a camera with all my safety gear on and get the job done well.  I'm not a fan of chemical burns so I wear a respirator, old lab coat and full face shield.  I'm glad I have a private backyard or the neighbors would probably call the police since it looks like  I'm some kind of a mad scientist in the backyard with bubbling vats of who knows what!  :rofl:

:popcorn:

Everything’s adjustable
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »
I'm some kind of a mad scientist in the backyard with bubbling vats of who knows what!  :rofl:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rmc0097l.jpg

I think those natural grey scales are going to look very nice.

« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
First time I've taken one of these apart.  I was curious to know how the firesteel was attached.  Its just a custom shaped liner with the firesteel pinned to it.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:14:41 PM by Syph007 »

Full Member Posts: 145
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »
Looking forward to having a Bushcrafter the way it should come. The red is a great color. Can't wait to get it back.
No Life Club Posts: 2,143
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »
Maybe Vic considers the scissors too flimsy to go into a 93 frame. I know the 93 framed knives are built like tanks. I wonder why they discontinued the 84 scissors. Maybe they ended up replacing too many broken ones.
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
Ya I'd love to know as well.  You have to think 84mm alox cadets with scissors would be extremely popular.  I assume it must be for financial reasons but I cant really figure out how it makes sense.   I'm sure scissors take many more steps to produce than a can opener, but they're doing it for 91s and 58s still.  :think:

No Life Club Posts: 1,544
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read this through... And I am... sorry...  :drool: big time.. Amazing job!
« Reply #197 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »

I picked up my lastest batch of hard anodized scales this morning!  Red and natural.  All 93s, but one 84 for a cadet with scissors I'm putting together.

It's really hard to get a good picture of the color of the grey.  I showed them beside stock Vic colors here to try to help.  In person its a beautiful matte grey color.  I'm very pleased with it and looking forward to putting one together. 

The red turned out exactly the same shade as my first batch of red which I absolutely loved.  Again hard to tell from the picture in sunlight, but its a deep matte red.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,745 You're amongst friends.
« Reply #198 on: July 04, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
I like that red, very nice  :drool:

SAW
« Reply #199 on: July 05, 2012, 04:26:35 AM »
The red is my favorite too, and they were the first color to get deployed tonight.

Here is the bushcrafter minus opener layer with red scales.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:14:55 PM by Syph007 »

« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
That's a superb model Syph. :salute:

Full Member Posts: 145
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
 It started as my +B Firesteel Farmer. A great knife but I really wanted a Bushcrafter. The firesteel makes it a true Bushcrafter. Hope to have a long modding relationship.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:26:51 PM by nj2656 »
Newbie Posts: 12
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
That red looks awesome!
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20:17 AM »
Tonight I finished up a quartet of urban mechanics, all with titanium liners and keyring spacers.  I think I'm finally learning the ways of Ti and finishing them to a high polish is getting faster.  I see why people love Ti, but man steel finishing has spoiled me. 

Finishing Ti is like dating a high maintenance woman.  You don't just go right for a nice shine.. you start with 180 grit, you move up slowly, 220, 400, 600, and you eventually get to 1000 and then and only then do you move on to the polish... :D  And the results are worth it.

« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:03 AM »

Finishing Ti is like dating a high maintenance woman.  You don't just go right for a nice shine.. you start with 180 grit, you move up slowly, 220, 400, 600, and you eventually get to 1000 and then and only then do you move on to the polish... :D  And the results are worth it.

Yep. And the longer you have to stay on 3rd base, (600,1000 grit) the nicer it is to slide into home.

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,789 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »

Yep. And the longer you have to stay on 3rd base, (600,1000 grit) the nicer it is to slide into home.

Alright, things just got weird and that's coming from me.  :pok:   :D

I'm the milk man!
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »
Alright, things just got weird and that's coming from me.  :pok:   :D
Ok, maybe I was overtired, but it was funny to me at the time.. LOL.   :D

Now.. for something different.. wait.. it's.. not an urban pioneer! 

I had a request if this could be built, so I mocked this up tonight to make sure the parts fit together.  I have no clever name, but whittler something.  Its a harvester with small blade instead of cap lifter. I wanted to try out my natural anodized scales since I think they are beautiful, but maybe I should name them Titanium gray, like Vic does so they sound more exciting than natural hard anodize...  :think:

Anywhere here it is.. a fist full of blades and a saw.

With my other scale color options for reference, and a stock vic solo.  I really like the look of this one. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:15:30 PM by Syph007 »

« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2012, 01:25:51 AM »
Now that is a blade setup I like. Ubercool.  :tu:
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2012, 02:35:47 AM »
Beautiful. I had the same setup in mind even with the small 91mm blade (but the pruner ground down to a Wharncliffe for better whittling use) and the Bushwhittler was my favorite name for something centered around carving and sawing.

But I couldn't make the small 91mm blade sit high enough to get to the nail nick. How'd you pull that off?

« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:40 AM »
Beautiful. I had the same setup in mind even with the small 91mm blade (but the pruner ground down to a Wharncliffe for better whittling use) and the Bushwhittler was my favorite name for something centered around carving and sawing.

But I couldn't make the small 91mm blade sit high enough to get to the nail nick. How'd you pull that off?

You have to flip the opener layer spring around so the longer part is on the small blade side and that props it up just enough to get to the nick.  It's still on the wrong side, but I can open it without having to open the other tools.  The pruner blade sits a tiny bit lower than so I had to change that profile where it meets the spring to get it to angle up a bit more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $174.10
PayPal Fees: $10.10