Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Pens

deano42 · 84 · 11560

Offline bobofish

Re: EDC Pens
Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 03:36:21 PM
Useless trivia: How did the name Yard-o-Led come about? When the founders of the company were trying to find a name for it, they realized that their pencils held a yard of pencil lead inside.

Nomad, the perfect pen you are looking for can be very expensive or much less so. This perfect pen will be one of two pens: the easy choice is a pen that uses Montegrappa rollerball refills which are about $6 a piece, but once you use one you will never want to use another. Off the top of my head I seem to remember that Parker, Caran d'Ache and Faber Castell can accept Montegrappa refills. There's a couple other brands that do, but it's a little confusing. Most people, even pen people don't know this. I'm sorry to say I don't remember the exact combinations. Sorry, senility can set in even early in life. But Montegrappa refills are the shizzle. Butter smooth, writes from the first touch, no bleeding, no nothing. Montegrappa rollerball pens are the absolute shizzle too, but they are very expensive. If you go back on that fountain pen network, I'll bet the guys can tell you all the pens the Montegrappa refills can fit, and then you can keep your eye out for a good example. If you have a good pen store that sells Montegrappa refills, go try to put the refills in a few different pens. There are some standards, and Montegrappa complies to one of them. I honestly can't tell you anymore if it's the Parker standard or the Aurora standard. Rollerball standards are not as well known as Ballpoint standards, where Parker rules the roost. sorry. I think they also fit in Visconti's, which are very good pens for the money. Incidentally Montegrappa makes some of the best ballpoint refills I've tried.

I should also mention that most refillable ballpoints, even el-cheapos are Parker standard.

The second and better but not-for-everybody option is any good GOLD nibbed fountain pen from any of the good brands: Montegrappa, Parker, Dupont, Pelikan, Faber Castell, Cartier, Aurora, etc. Don't even bother with gold plated or "IRIDIUM NIB!!!" The iridium is 99% of the time a total gimmick. Most good pens these days have a solid gold nib. Dupont's are the smoothest, Montegrappa's are the lushest, they flex and give with your writing. For ink you will choose Noodler's Ink. It's a US made ink that does not bleed or slush around like some other inks. It's very hard to find unless you go onto Ebay in which case it's very easy to find for around $15. Some of the Noodler's are counterfeit proof, guaranteed on checks and stuff. The next best choice of ink is Aurora, because it's a smooth great writing ink. It will bleed though.

Anyways, as far as my preference in pens go, you guys've heard the saying "once you go Black, you never go back," right? Well it's the same with a good fountain pen. I use a Dupont original Vertigo mostly with Aurora ink, and your mothers all wear army boots!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 04:38:05 PM
Fisher Bullet pen that I got at a Truckstop when I first started driving almost 5 years ago.Looks like hell,but still serviceable.It seems to be a lucky pen,I dont know how many times I have "Lost" it,to nly have it turn up later.One time on my yard(terminal) in Cleveland,Ohio it fell out of my pocket. when I was hooking my trailers together.I thought that "This time it is gone for good" I was a bit sad.I pulled around to dispatch,got my trip sheet and got ready to head out.I like to take a final walk-around of the truck and trailers before I head out.

As I was looking over the drive tires I noticed something shiny.It was my pen!,fortunatley I had just got a brand new set of drive tires put on a few days before.The pen managed to get caught in the tread and down far enough so that it did not get crushed.

I also carry a Cross pen/pencil set in my uniform shirt pocket.I have had these well over 10 years now.I do most of my paperwork with the Cross's and keep the Bullet in my Niteeize ToolPockits as a backup and as a luck charm.When I am not at work the Bullet rides in my pocket.

If you guys want I will try at post a few pics of my pens this weekend,but here is a pic of what ran over it. :tool: :climber: :sak:

Dtrain

Please remember,that if the pen had not landed in precisely the right spot,and the tire had not rolled exactly right,the pen would have been crushed.My yard loads heavy most nights.The drive axle can weigh out at 20,000 lbs
and be legal.So one side of the axle weighs up to 10,000 lbs and in theory,one tire can scale out at 5,000lbs.So this is not a try it at home exercise with your fine writing instruments.Nor,is it an endorsement of FisherPens.

* od_doubles.jpg (Filesize: 94.43 KB)
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 07:10:27 AM
I used to EDC a Mont Blanc fountain pen but I ran out of green ink cartriges, so now I carry a Parker Jotter.
(

de Offline Energie

Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 02:05:54 PM
I´ve tried many pens (Parker, Cross, Mont Blanc, Caran d´Ache, Pelikan etc...).
But I like this one:

A cheep Lamy Safari. In yellow, of course!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 06:35:45 PM
i have loads of pens since i get paid for drawing,not writing so im bit out of this topic.

but lately,thanks to Benner,ive started to carry bullet shaped fisher space pen.

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 07:02:08 PM
Regular Parker for lectures, ink-based X-Pen for special occasions (it's tough enough to replace whatever knife I would EDC otherwise). I'm kind of stuck empty-handed between the two occasions, hence the last item on my wish-list. Does anybody even read that?!  :(
W

Offline Hoghead

Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 04:59:50 AM
I've had a bullet pen in my EDC for years. The chrome is wearing off and it has a small dent, but it works just fine.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 02:35:25 AM
I have one of the chrome space pens.  I occasionally use it, but find it a bit slippery and considering how little I need to write these days, a bit big to carry round in my pocket all the time.  For the most part, I make do with the pen in the scale of my Victorinox Scientist.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 08:43:19 AM
do they sell ink for space pen there?

here unfortunately not and i could need one as spare.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 11:15:30 AM
do they sell ink for space pen there?

here unfortunately not and i could need one as spare.

That shop I gave you the link to sells the refills.
I'm back!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 11:44:54 AM
yep i noticed :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 11:52:16 AM
yep i noticed :D

If you ever need any, I know a skinny Brit that would be able to help you out.  ;)
I'm back!!

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:26 PM
I've been carrying a Benchmade pen at work for a few months now. It comes with the fisher space pen refill which I like to write with. It's a pretty tough pen and has handled my abuse easily. The anodizing is not very tough however and gets scratched off easily in my work enviroment, however for an office or casual setting it should be more than adequate. Here is a couple of pics from when it was new....

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 10:47:03 PM
Now that is one substancial pen :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 10:57:03 PM
I wouldn't dare carry it over here  :o  Shame, looks nice.

Neil

Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 11:15:43 PM
It does look the part, but yeah you'd have a tough time explaining that pommel away :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 01:28:36 AM
now thats a really handy skullcrusher,that u can also use as an writing instrument :D

Offline Hoghead

Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 06:01:39 AM
The anodizing is not very tough however and gets scratched off easily in my work enviroment,

Can you post any pictures that show how the anodizing has worn?

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:56 PM
It's not "Worn" it's just getting character. Neat pen.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 11:00:04 PM
The anodizing is not very tough however and gets scratched off easily in my work enviroment,

Can you post any pictures that show how the anodizing has worn?

I'll throw some pics up when I get some batteries for the camera.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 08:11:28 AM
Which on of you fellas will spring for one of these and write a review? :pok:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/475/prrfnbr/24555
"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008, 08:37:40 PM

I was liking that until I saw the price.  :o
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:58 PM

I was liking that until I saw the price.  :o
Indeed  :o

Someone buy it for me, then I'll do a review :D

Neil

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:28 PM
Camera batteries all charged up!!

The first pic is the side of the pen cap that rides next to my Benchmade 525. As you can see the Aluminum of the pen didn't stand a chance banging against the S30V steel of the knife blade in my pocket...

The other side of the pen is OK except on the knurling. The points of the knurling are losing their anodizing...

The much debated "point" on the end of the pen was modified by me. I took some sandpaper and rounded off the point to make it smoother. The machines I work on at work use a lot of touch screen interfaces. I rounded the end of the pen smooth so as not to scratch the screens and the pen end makes an excellent stylus and is much easier than using my fingers. Note that I did not have a problem with the point at all. This just made it more practical for work use.

Just as a side note. This pen has been abused pretty well. It's been rolled across the concrete floor at work, tossed in a bookbag loose with other odds and ends, and generally beat up. If your just going to keep this on a desk to write with or clipped in a pocket by itself I don't see wear being a problem. It would be nice to see a version with Type III HA though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:35:08 PM by GMArthur »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 05:53:28 PM
Probably not particularly interesting to most of you, but I thought I'd resurrect this this old thread with my latest pen purchase.

For years now I have been carrying a Fisher Space pen, but I have never been particularly happy with it.  For a pen sporting one of the best refills I found that it actually wrote very poorly, leaked and caused "ink bogies" all the time and actually wrote on less surfaces than a standard biro.  So I went on the look out for a pen that was solid in construction yet not tactical looking, chunky, had a good clip, was shortish in length and wasn't posh looking so I didn't get taked the pi$$ out of for owning a "fancy" pen.  :D

I went through many options, ball points, rollerballs, fountain pens, but after looking all through them and even asking guys over on other forums I decided that for ease of life and reliability, the ball point was still the way to go, and so I settled on the reasonably priced (can be had delivered in the UK for under £20) Lamy Scribble. 

First impressions are good as it is made out of a very solid hard nylon like material and it is a great size all round.  I swapped the refill for a fine one (a personal preference of mine) and it writes very nicely.  One thing I wish it did have was a longer pocket clip, but the one it has is still pretty good.

Here are a few piccies with one to give an idea of scale;

I'm back!!

Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 07:11:21 PM
I'm glad you've finally got one, and so ending our constant search for one :P

Actually it's a lot smaller than I thought it'd be :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 07:25:18 PM
It is quite short without being too short like some are.
I'm back!!

Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 07:26:19 PM
Are the refill's reasonable ???

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:43 PM
Are the refill's reasonable ???

£1 something.  I got one for this one as I wanted a fine and it came with a medium.  Seem to be widely available too.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:04 PM
It looks like it was circumsized at a half off sale.....   :ahhh

I recently tried an Inka pen because some have suggested it was good- well I was unimpressed.  The cartridge died quickly, and to get the "full sized" pen effect from it requires a couple of minutes of transformation as you swap this end for that end of a part that comes out of another part- ok if you are writing a fair bit, but far too much effort for taking a quick note here and there, as I do at work.

I'll be sticking with my Bullet pens thank you... in fact, I've another one on the way as I type this!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%