Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Get-A-Way Driver

J-sews · 43 · 14115

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
CRKT Get-A-Way Driver
on: February 10, 2008, 01:56:06 AM
Yet another new gadget to spring forth from the fertile minds of the I.D. Works geniuses is the Get-A-Way Driver. Relatively simple and solid, it nonetheless packs quite a bit of capability into one easy to carry tool. Primarily a 1/4" hex bit driver, the Get-A-Way also has features ranging from an oxygen wrench on the underside to an LED flashlight on the top. And while CRKT knows that it can function all by itself, they really see the advantages of teaming the Get-A-Way up with another tool, like the Lil' Guppie or the Zilla-Tool Jr.

As can be seen in the photos, there is a standard 1/4" bit driver on one end of the tool, and room for four bits to be carried and stored on board. The bit driver itself is removable, a feature that can be quite handy in a few different ways.

For one, the bit driver can be removed from its location on the end and inserted into one of the hex cutouts on the underside. This allows considerably more torque to be applied on tight or sticky bolts.

Another advantage of the removable adapter is its ability to interface with other CRKT tools, such as the new Lil' Guppie. The bit driver adapter also fits the new CRKT Zilla-Tool Jr, allowing this fine tool to use standard 1/4" hex bits.

Other features of the Get-A-Way? It has an LED light on the driver end, just in case. (accepts two 3V batteries, CR927) There is an oxygen wrench cutout on the underside for emergency personel. Also a 10mm hex cutout, for those of leading less glamourous lives. ;)  The cap lifter on the underside is removable, an action that if taken results in the whole tool being lighter and more pocket-friendly, IMO.

What the I.D. Works guys told us about teaming the Get-A-Way up with another tool makes a lot of sense. Oftentimes the most clumsy thing you can do with an ordinary plier multitool is attempt to drive screws. Better to have a dedicated screwdriver along to make the job a little easier.

MSRP on the Get-A-Way is $16.99 US. I would expect its street price to be down around $12 or $13. For that kind of money I'll probably buy two.  :)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:57:46 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: CRKT Get-A-Way Driver
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 02:06:33 AM
 :multi:

Woot!

I have big ideas for this tool and my EDC combo. Could be a revolution going on in the ol' pockets when this comes out.

Gonna have to go ahead and remove that bottle opener for myself though. Looks like a wang.

P.S. Why is the Zilla holding a penny in the first photo?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:09:23 AM
I'm happy to see a tool that doesn't try to cram EVERYTHING in, therefore lessening the function of everything.  There's no blades, no can openers, no files, no "fluff"...it's just a pocket screwdriver!  The designers must have realized lots of tool nuts already have that stuff on them, so they focused on making one thing really good.  I can't even see where the LED bulb is, so I already know that's not a bulky add on.

A few Q's:

How bright is the LED compared to other keychain lights?

Are you able to store the bit adapter in the tool itself?

Where is this and the Zilla made?  I think I read Taiwan somewhere but I can't be sure.

I'll definately pick one of these up, along with a Zilla Jr...actually I'm off to ebay to see what kind of deals can be had on the original Zilla to hold me over. :multi:
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:28 AM
:multi:

Woot!

I have big ideas for this tool and my EDC combo. Could be a revolution going on in the ol' pockets when this comes out.

Gonna have to go ahead and remove that bottle opener for myself though. Looks like a wang.

P.S. Why is the Zilla holding a penny in the first photo?

I'll be taking the opener off also.  It looks like it would hook on anything and everything.  And who doesn't have a few bottle openers on them in one form or another?

And I noticed that Zilla with the penny also...I never realized it could be used as a poor mans locking pliers, another plus.
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:13:04 AM
Zilla and the Guppie are of Chinese manufacture.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:29:53 AM
Yep, the penny in the jaws is because the Zilla inventors were showing us what a stout locking plier it could be. With the plier lock engaged,  the penny absolutely would not budge, no matter how hard I twisted and pulled on it.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 02:41:01 AM
A few Q's:

Where is this and the Zilla made?  I think I read Taiwan somewhere but I can't be sure.

LED brightness seemed similar to other keychain lights. Hard to say for sure in the big Shot Show convention hall.

The adapter has a spring-detent ball that keeps it in the receptacle at the end of the tool.

China indeed, as are most of CRKT's knives. We asked the CRKT people about quality as relates to typical Chinese made products. They felt that their close relationship with their suppliers in China, plus the fact that CRKT has had a presence in China for so long, would ensure that quality remains first rate.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:48:05 AM
There's getting to be alot of add ons to multi tools!! :multi:

Makes us Multi owners more the hero when a crisis arises :climber:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:50:16 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:27:59 AM
A few Q's:

LED brightness seemed similar to other keychain lights. Hard to say for sure in the big Shot Show convention hall.

The adapter has a spring-detent ball that keeps it in the receptacle at the end of the tool.

China indeed, as are most of CRKT's knives. We asked the CRKT people about quality as relates to typical Chinese made products. They felt that their close relationship with their suppliers in China, plus the fact that CRKT has had a presence in China for so long, would ensure that quality remains first rate.

The one CRKT knife I own was made in Taiwan, maybe that's why I thought the tools were made there also :think:
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:51:52 AM
One of the biggest problems I have with using small drivers like that is getting enough torque to drive a Self Tapping screw.

I don't suppose you had a box'o'fastenings and a an old beam that you carried around testing out all the drivers on new toys.. ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 02:28:10 PM
One of the biggest problems I have with using small drivers like that is getting enough torque to drive a Self Tapping screw.

I don't suppose you had a box'o'fastenings and a an old beam that you carried around testing out all the drivers on new toys.. ::)

Nope, no testing was possible at the Show unfortunately. We are hoping to get some pre-release samples for reviewing though. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 02:35:13 PM
By the way, the very first thing Def and I asked the I.D. Works guys about the Get-A-Way Driver is, "Does it have a ratchet function?"  ;)

Having read the pdf file at the CRKT site, we of course already knew that it didn't. The I.D. Works guys immediately rolled their eyes and started laughing. This obviously wasn't the first time someone had asked this question! :D We chatted awhile about how a ratchet would make this good tool into a really great tool. We also mentioned the little Loggerhead ratchet driver, which they seemed unaware of. By the time we were finished, I could see the wheels turning in their heads.... :)

* Loggerhead Bit Dr..jpg (Filesize: 29.09 KB)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 04:20:50 PM
Did CRKT give any idea of when the Get-A-Way will hit the market? I know a couple people that have seen the pics,and want one NOW!!!
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 04:51:06 PM
I know many people that want one NOW... and I'm one of them! :P

I don't recall them mentioning a release date, but Bob was keeping better notes than I was...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 05:12:40 PM
Did CRKT give any idea of when the Get-A-Way will hit the market? I know a couple people that have seen the pics,and want one NOW!!!

I've got an April date written down here on my Get-A-Way notes. 

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 05:13:56 PM
April is a good realease date. I can see why this is going to be a good seller. It will really be a useful addition to the Zilla.
S

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 04:48:17 AM
     I agree with the ratchet idea.  It would give the small tool big tool potential.

Offline damota

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 03:13:15 PM
If the bottle opener is removed would it weaken the oxygen wrench? Not that it bothers me but may be worth knowing for those that need it.
I think this and the Gerber Artifact would make a handy pair. At the price I will get one of these even if they do take your idea up about a ratchet version.

Dave

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 08:37:45 PM
  OK  CRKT is doing a great job..... I need to score these 2 NEW tools... BUT when they will be out ???
  Any Idea ?
M.TEX

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 02:06:29 PM
  OK  CRKT is doing a great job..... I need to score these 2 NEW tools... BUT when they will be out ???
  Any Idea ?

March/April was what they told us at the Show.  :)

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 02:59:15 AM
This looks like it would make a great tool to carry when I'm on a business trip (and can't take my Wave) as a companion to the bit set I normally carry.  I'm looking forward to checking it out when it becomes available.

If you're really interested in a ratchet, I have the one that came as part of the Bit Dr., and I think it's a pretty slick little deal.  I carry it all the time and use it regularly.  I can't imagine you could put a ratchet function in a much smaller package.  It fits in a 1/4" hex drive and accepts 1/4" hex bits, which it holds in place magnetically.  If you really want a ratchet function, the way most of y'all around here spend money, splurging on a Bit Dr. just to get the ratchet ain't no big deal  :D.   

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 09:02:37 PM
   any picture or link ? that would help mate....
M.TEX

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 10:18:03 PM
I mentioned it here:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,680.15.html, and then, if you keep going farther down in that thread to Jan. 30, you'll find a few pics.  If you still have questions, let me know, I'll be glad to do what I can.

Offline damota

Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 11:39:04 PM
Is it more of a clutch than a ratchet? I really like that idea, just a spring to go rather than a complex ratchet that has to have its mechanism reversed. Or have I got the wrong idea?
Had a look on Google and their appears to be non available in the UK so we will have to be patient or import.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 03:42:19 AM
Is it more of a clutch than a ratchet? I really like that idea, just a spring to go rather than a complex ratchet that has to have its mechanism reversed. Or have I got the wrong idea?
Had a look on Google and their appears to be non available in the UK so we will have to be patient or import.

Dave

Yes, good question: is it a true ratchet mechanism? If so, how does a person reverse direction?

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 06:11:46 AM
I guess you could call it a clutch.  I'm not sure I know the difference between a clutch and a "true ratchet mechanism".  Isn't that basically what a ratchet does, clutches out when the tool is turned the opposite way of the direction you're trying to turn the fastener, so that the fastener is not turned? 

Whatever you want to call it, here's a basic idea of how it works, and it may not be clear in words, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask:  There's an inner member and an outer member, what's in between the two I don't know.  I've never taken it apart and I'm not sure if I did I would be able to get it back together properly, so I don't plan to try.  With no pressure applied axially, the two members are free to rotate independently of each other (I use the knurling on the outer member in this "free rotation" mode to snug up the fastener until it's hand tight without having to rotate the LM).  When you push the inner member into the outer member axially, overcoming the spring force, the two members "lock up" - they won't rotate independently of each other any more in either direction.  So, to tighten the fastener beyond hand tight, push in on the ratchet and turn the LM.  You can turn it a full 360 degrees if you want, or you can turn it 45, 90, 180 degrees, whatever's comfortable or whatever the space you're working in allows.  Then, relax the pressure, the two members disengage, and you can turn the LM back the 45, 90, etc., degrees, reengage, and repeat until it's tight. 

That's basically the same as what I think of when I'm using a ratchet with a socket, except you don't have to apply any pressure axially with the socket wrench. 

Thinking about this as I typed, my guess is inside the thing there are some small gear teeth on the ID of the outer member and also on the OD of the inner member.  Normally the spring pressure keeps them separated from each other.  However, when you apply pressure axially, overriding the spring force, the gear teeth mesh with each other and lock the two pieces together, allowing greater torque to be applied in either direction.  Sorry for the dissertation, hope it helps clarify!

Offline damota

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 04:41:21 PM
That is what I meant by calling it a clutch. A ratchet usually has a gear that a spigot catches onto when rotated in one direction and then to turn the tool in the opposite direction has to be replaced by sliding a switch to engage another  spigot to engage allowing that movement. Much more complicated. I like your tools method much better, one reason it should be a lot more stronger for the cost the other is the obvious size difference. Makes you wonder why it is not used more.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 02:18:17 AM
Yes Tim, thanks for clarifying. I was thinking this tool was a ratchet with "clicky" teeth each time you reversed direction. I understand now how it works from your description.

So how well does it work in reality? Does the screwdriver bit tend to jump out of the screw when you relax pressure on the reverse stroke?

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 04:19:01 AM
I like it pretty well.  Put it this way - I'm not in the market for any other "ratchet-type" gizmo.  I wouldn't say the bit jumps out of the screw, since you can still apply some pressure against it as long as you don't relax too far (the amount of movement axially between engaged and disengaged is less than 1/8").  It does take a few tries to get the hang of it.  I would say, though, that there is some friction between the inner and outer members - it's not really "free wheeling" - when you aren't applying pressure and, if your fastener isn't pretty snug when you start to use it, you can reverse it due to the friction and start to back it out.  It's not a perfect thing by any means, but it does come in handy every now and then.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 11:20:00 PM
So it's April 20th...any word on a release date?
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD