Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool Logic SL Pro 04, Law Enforcement Model

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Tool Logic SL Pro 04, Law Enforcement Model
on: February 20, 2008, 04:16:32 PM
I think it is going to be at least time for the BLADE Show by the time we get through all of the SHOT Show stuff! :D  There's still quite a bit to share with folks, like this offering from Tool Logic- the SL Pro 4, Law Enforcement model.

As many of you remember from the infamous Stab In The Dark knife, I am not a huge fan of mixing knives with flashlights, but Tool Logic has been doing this for a few years now and are getting very good at it.  The SL Pro is actually quite comfortable to hold and use, and doesn't seem much heavier than many dedicated tactical type knives.

In fact, it's actually surprisingly comfortable to hold considering the flashlight attached to the back of it!  :D  I am very impressed.  So much so that I wanted to compare it to a few other edc type knives:

SL Pro: 4.22oz (119.5g)
Leatherman C301: 2.91oz (82.7g)
CRKT M16-12: 2.88oz (52.5g)
Victorinox OHT: 4.49oz (127.4g)

The one handed opening blade is quite smooth, the frame lock is tight and the blade is a decent enough size that you aren't going to start a panic when you open it. 

The flashlight is also pretty darned bright.  It's powered by three watch cells and has an LED that is activated by twisting the head.  It's about the same diameter as a Mag Lite Solitaire but thanks to the LED is significantly brighter.

That's not where it ends though- this model is called "Law Enforcement" for a reason, not just because it sounds cool like the whole host of SWAT type knives on the market.  A quick tug on the flashlight reveals a handcuff key inside, mounted to the back end of the light.  There are other tools available with this model, including a Glock Tool for folks who like plastic guns!

The SL Pro also comes with a few other non-law enforcement type doodads for the civilian market as well.

But, that's not all- it also comes with a pocket clip, a staple of the one handed knife market, a lanyard hole and a whistle, making it an excellent knife for the outdoors as well, especially when equipped with the Magnesium fire starter instead of a handcuff key.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this knife, and I think anyone else willing to give it a shot will be as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline silentio

Re: Tool Logic SL Pro 04, Law Enforcement Model
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:09:18 PM
Wow, this is very nice indeed. A flashlight is one of those things that i wished I carried more often.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind, Def. What's the steel on that blade? And how much will it cost?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:21:56 PM
According to the Tool Logic site, it's 420J2 stainless, so not one of the overpriced "wonder steels" and the MSRP is $59.95, but I imagine street price would be below $50. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 05:24:16 PM
I have to say I haven't exactly been impressed with this tool, but after seeing it up close it is not as bad as I thought it was.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:29:49 PM
Tool Logic has largely flown under the radar in recent years, but after talking to the president of the company at the SHOT Show, there is a distinct possibility that we may be seeing more and more Tool Logic stuff in the near future!

In fact, I have another Tool Logic product, the Trac Lite, that I am amazingly fond of.  Tim's got some for sale here on the forum, so grab them while you can.  These are amazing!  But, I'm getting ahead of myself... that'll be in another thread! :P

They also have some new products coming out that they showed us at the show... I can't say what, but I am looking forward to test driving them! :D

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:27:22 PM
I like this thing. I wish I could fit my Fenix LOD Q4 in there instead but still it's a pretty cool setup. I love the look of the blade, too. I'm pleasantly surprised at the price, even though I haven't handled one yet.  Does it feel solid or chinsy, Def?
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:19:30 PM
I have handled knives with a nicer feel, but only at a much higher price.  I have also held knives without as nice a feel as this one, also at a higher price!  :o  Remember, we are talking about a $50 knife, so it's not going to compete with a Benchmade Gold Class or anything, but it does seem to be put together as good as, if not better than the Leatherman range of knives, which are about as good as you can get in this price range.

It has a solid ball detent that keeps it locked closed and there is a significant click when the lock snaps into place.  It won't accidentally flop open, but it does open smoothly and lock up tightly with no play in the blade.

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 08:40:24 PM
Thanks, bro! Now I'll have to see who's got one in the area. My bestest buddy's b/d is coming up and methinks this would make a nice gift. Besides, I don't need another knife.... do I?  :)
Splat

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:42:31 PM
Thanks, bro! Now I'll have to see who's got one in the area. My bestest buddy's b/d is coming up and methinks this would make a nice gift. Besides, I don't need another knife.... do I?  :)

You can never have enough.   :pok: :D
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:13:05 PM
Not as long as you still have fingers! :P

Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:25:11 PM
I am ordering some of the PRO 2s with magnesium firestarters and PRO 3s with sharpening steels. The blades come bead blast or blk. coated. Any preference?
T

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:03 PM
Only thing I like really on it is the Cuff key. You never have enough of them. In the big city we had to have 3 at all times. One on the car clip. One in upper breast pocket and one of the Uncle mike hide a key in the belt keeper.
S

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 10:42:09 PM
Only thing I like really on it is the Cuff key. You never have enough of them. In the big city we had to have 3 at all times. One on the car clip. One in upper breast pocket and one of the Uncle mike hide a key in the belt keeper.
Sorry the LE model is not available. I will keep checking.
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 11:28:41 PM
Just to let you know, the pin on it is really only good for button style double locks like on Peerless handcuffs.  They aren't much good for the S&W M-100's with the slot, which is what I carry at work.   :(

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%