Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pricey

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Pricey
Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:15 PM
As far as the accumilation in value, that certainly says something for the brand  :tu:

As for the going price of that damascus Pioneer, I would not pay that if I were a millionaire, just on principal.  I'm perfectly happy with the black scale Pioneer and stainless steel blade  :D
SAW

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:21 AM
As far as the accumilation in value, that certainly says something for the brand  :tu:

As for the going price of that damascus Pioneer, I would not pay that if I were a millionaire, just on principal.  I'm perfectly happy with the black scale Pioneer and stainless steel blade  :D

This is the thing. 'Damascus' steel isn't real damascus of days of old, which people think it is. That was made with a special type of ore, which is no longer available. Current 'damascus' is pattern welding, where two metals with a different colour are folded repeatedly to get the classical look. But whereas if those metals are specifically chosen for their hardness and flexibility criteria, you would get a superior blade, I am sure for these types of knives, they are chosen for their look, and ease of manufacturing.

Moral of the story: current day damascus looks cool, but its fake. So pay what you would for a decorative item, but don't expect it to function like real damascus.

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 11:57:17 AM
+1 Well said.

For performance the regular Vic steel is excellent.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:51 PM
I would expect the steel in the damascus Vics, which is Damasteel, to be superior to the wootz steel of old in pretty much every aspect. Metallurgy isn't magic. One of the better theories about wootz steel I've read, is an experiment where they discovered they could use the patterns to read the temperature of the blade when forging, thus getting extra control. (Don't remember who did the experiment, guy is an ABS master smith who's written a lot for Blade. He likes to make differentially hardened blades in 52100, often ram's horn in the handle. Anybody remember who I'm thinking of?) Temperature control which is a given in a competent industrial blade production line. So wootz would be a primitive carbon steel competently heat treated. Which would be pretty smurfing great in an era where temperature control boiled down to the experience of the smith.

Damasteel is actually a pretty nice stainless powder steel, PMC-27 and RWL-34. Damasteel is a trademark of the Swedish company which developed the product, not a generic shortcut for damascus pattern forged steel. (Esp. since it's not even forged. :) )

us Offline condcup

Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 01:52:56 PM
 ::)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:20:12 PM by condcup »

us Offline condcup

Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:11 PM
English version of the text included with 2010 Damascus Pioneer reads:

There are only 2,010 of these special Damascus knives in the whole world. Congratulations, you now own one of them!

Damascus steel - the fine steel of the swordsmith
Damascus steel represents craftsmanship that goes back more than a thousand years. Even in antiquity, a few resourceful swordsmiths knew how to create blades of unusual toughness and hardness from different kinds of steel. The multiple folding and forge welding led to a homogenization of the material, and required a great deal of skill and dedication. Then as now, the crowning highlight in the production of a Damascus blade was the finish. Because only the grinding, polishing and etching reveals the characteristic pattern, and thereby provides a glimpse into the soul of the steel. (The blade of this knife is manufactured from stainless high quality Damascus steel, 60 HRc)

http://swissbiancocanada.com/Newsletter/Articles/SwissBianco-Damascus-Pioneer.htm

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 02:27:55 PM
And, that's typical marketroid speak, I agree. Doesn't change the fact the blade is Damasteel. The same page as you refered to confirms that as well.

http://damasteel.com/?page_id=194 has the data sheets, it's obviously martensitic Damasteel we're talking about.

If you want to discuss the matter instead of just rolling your eyes, please do.

us Offline condcup

Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 08:39:21 PM

http://www.edcsource.com/111688,auction_id,auction_details

Purchased in Mar 18 2012 $189.99,  in Jan 29 2013 Buy Out for $79.99. Value dropped $110 for both New in Box clearly marked "ASTRONAUT".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%