Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just received this off ebay.uk........WOW!!!

tosh · 12 · 2736

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Just received this off ebay.uk........WOW!!!
on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:39 PM
I almost never look on ebay.uk for multi's due to their silly stand on UK's knife laws, but for some reason - possibly sheer boredom  :think:, I found myslf bidding for a vintage multitool over the weekend, needless to say I won it and it arrived today.

The seller thought it to be WW1 era, but I seriously doubt that anybody have more details.
I've only got the image used by the seller, I'll try to upload better, more detailed pics later this week

Took me a few minutes to twig that the back spring is used to hold all the tools and I have to say it does a magnificent job.

Old multitool.jpg
* Old multitool.jpg (Filesize: 20 KB)
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

england Offline hennypenny

Re: Just received this off ebay.uk........WOW!!!
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:32:29 PM
It looks more like a set of individual surgical tools rather than a multitool. What did you pay for it?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:20 PM
It looks more like a set of individual surgical tools rather than a multitool. What did you pay for it?

Inc' postage - £23
It's got the initials M.G.C.W embosed in gold on the "REAL PIGSKIN Made In England" case if that means anything.

I've already attached the hammer, saw blade, file and awl and there is absolutely no movement whatsoever - Rock solid!!
The blade however does have very slight lateral movement.

As mentioned above, I'll update later with more detailed pictures.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:10:35 AM
It's made in the '60. Made in lots of different countries from US, Germany, Hungary, ... a week or so ago someone here bought one made in Japan. Nice selection of tools. :salute:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:24 AM
Congrats Tosh, that looks like a great set there! :tu: Very nice. These blade-exchanger sets seem to have been quite popular back in the day. Many different knife makers produced them, each with slight variations on how they secured the tools into the handle. Seems like most were made by German firms, although I've seen a few from U.S. makers and even a couple with British stampings. Japan too, and Hungary? That's a new one for my list. :)

Nikola, I think this type of kit was available from the early 1900's on up to the 1970's. :)

Here's an old listing in an american hardware supplier's catalog, from about 1910-1920 era. They  would not have produced the kits themselves, but unfornately they make no mention of who did. :think: Tosh's looks pretty similar to the kit on top. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:55:09 AM
Great info there, Bob.  :salute: Most of the ones I've seen were post WW2.

Here's the Japanese one.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,44031.msg710731.html#msg710731

And a hungarian one made by Kéziszerszámgyár. (pic by toemke@edcf). He said he'd let me know if he finds another one but nothing yet. :(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:32:58 AM
Oooh, nice ones! :drool: Thanks Nikola, I had missed those threads :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 02:05:09 AM
I've seen several of these at Ontario mall antiques (largest antique dealer in NY state) Next time I go I'll pay closer attention.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:20:23 AM
I've seen several of these at Ontario mall antiques (largest antique dealer in NY state) Next time I go I'll pay closer attention.

Please take some pictures too if you don't mind :)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 04:19:57 AM

Sure! I don't know when I'll go again but I'll take some pics, there were a few of them the last time I went. I don't remember exactly, but I remember that they were WAY overpriced. Next time I go hopefully I'll find some cool saks too!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:23:16 AM by Nhoj »

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:27:11 AM

Well it has been a really long time since I posted that and I am finally going this weekend! Do you have a general price range of what these are worth Bob? I think the last time I went they were ridiculously expensive.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 10:33:12 PM
Congrats Tosh, that looks like a great set there! :tu: Very nice. These blade-exchanger sets seem to have been quite popular back in the day. Many different knife makers produced them, each with slight variations on how they secured the tools into the handle. Seems like most were made by German firms, although I've seen a few from U.S. makers and even a couple with British stampings. Japan too, and Hungary? That's a new one for my list. :)

Nikola, I think this type of kit was available from the early 1900's on up to the 1970's. :)

Here's an old listing in an american hardware supplier's catalog, from about 1910-1920 era. They  would not have produced the kits themselves, but unfornately they make no mention of who did. :think: Tosh's looks pretty similar to the kit on top. :)

(Image removed from quote.)

you never fail to educate me. I humbly bow down jedi master
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD