Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Limited observation: Combo tool's prone to bending easily?

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
As I frequent the TSA-confiscation bins locally, I get to see quite a few Victorinox knives. I have yet to see a twisted or damaged cap-lifter/large screwdriver tool, nor a can-opener/small screwdriver tool. However, I have seen several twisted/bent combo tools on both 84mm and 91mm Vics.
So, my question: *are* they built a little too much on the light side, and is the space saving versus the double-opener-layer really worth it, when factoring in the possible fragility? Or, do you think people are being too ham-fisted with the combo-tools, and are just abusing them way too much?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:05:43 AM by neillcurrie »

us Offline Kid33

Re: Limited observation: Combo tool's prone to bending easily?
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:08:57 AM
The Combo tool is def. thinner and less durable, but what you lose in durablity, you gain in having less layers.   It's pretty much a trade off.    It would be nice if Victorinox would make a combo tool that is slightly beefier..   Can't have it all I guess.   
A wise man speaks few words

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:14:12 AM
I think if they are used for the purpose they were designed for there is no problem,
Perception is reality

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:40 AM
is the space saving versus the double-opener-layer really worth it, when factoring in the possible fragility?

IMHO, the answer to that question is "no".  The opener layer is worth the extra layer over the combo tool to me, plus I do like having two knife blades.  Although any tool can be broken, users of the combo tool must be especially careful not to exceed its limits.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:32 AM
As I frequent the TSA-confiscation bins locally, I get to see quite a few Victorinox knives. I have yet to see a twisted or damaged cap-lifter/large screwdriver tool, nor a can-opener/small screwdriver tool. However, I have seen several twisted/bent combo tools on both 84mm and 91mm Vics.
So, my question: *are* they built a little too much on the light side, and is the space saving versus the double-opener-layer really worth it, when factoring in the possible fragility? Or, do you think people are being too ham-fisted with the combo-tools, and are just abusing them way too much?

what does it take to get to visit the TSA bins and possibly purchase from them?
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:38 AM
Here in NH, the airports in the state all send their TSA loot to Concord. Anyone can walk in and buy, cash only, but they are currently only open every Monday. The same place sells State surplus items too.
Guess where I was this AM  ;)

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:57 AM
Well, I guess I wil have to look into this,  how are the prices?
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 04:56:00 AM
It varies a lot, depending on what you're interested in. I particularly like digging through the crap/cheap/nasty knife and tool trays where everything's $1 or $2.
99% junk there, but 1% gold. Today I scored a '70's Vic Golfer in great shape with the long nail file, a couple other 84mm Vics, a new Utili-key, and a new-looking, 2-layer Wenger with the locking main blade. All together.... $11.
PST's usually run $10 or so, Waves about $15, Squirts $5. That gives you an idea.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:36 AM
Yes they bend easy, and make a bad prying tool. Its why I prefer the normal opener layer.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:55:40 PM
It varies a lot, depending on what you're interested in. I particularly like digging through the crap/cheap/nasty knife and tool trays where everything's $1 or $2.
99% junk there, but 1% gold. Today I scored a '70's Vic Golfer in great shape with the long nail file, a couple other 84mm Vics, a new Utili-key, and a new-looking, 2-layer Wenger with the locking main blade. All together.... $11.
PST's usually run $10 or so, Waves about $15, Squirts $5. That gives you an idea.

Those are some really good scores.

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:12 PM
It's not that users can do very much about the weakness of the combo tool, short of making our own, beefier tool to replace it. That's a problem though, as the tool can't be made too much thicker as it has to clear the main blade when closed, the profile/shape has to be very similar to what we already have, and it needs a nail nick...........and that nail nick seems to have to be placed at the throat of the tool, exactly where it's weakest, and where I suspect the maximum bending force is applied.
It's a perfect storm.
I suspect most of the tools are bending from being used as a slotted screwdriver. There's probably strength enough if the tool's just used as a can opener. Most of the bent combo tools I see are on knives that seem to be in otherwise good shape, so I doubt the combo is being abused.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:50:14 PM
Do they have the right to make money out of other people's property? I'd prefer to donate my tool to somebody.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:22:18 PM
I recently sent an old alox Bantam with ribbed scales back to the seller because the Combo tool was bent and scraping the sides of the scales, and the blade was stiff to open but the bent combo tool tip looked like it was twisted while trying to screw something.  :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%