Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Well, there's my morning shot to hell!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Well, there's my morning shot to hell!
Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:44 PM
..... but despite all these pretty pictures, we still don't know if an Oliphaunt from The Two Towers is tall enough to hump an Imperial AT-AT ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 12:15:41 AM
..... but despite all these pretty pictures, we still don't know if an Oliphaunt from The Two Towers is tall enough to hump an Imperial AT-AT ...

You are a sick,sick man :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 12:19:35 AM
Just sayin' ... :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:18 AM
wow cool Lynn LeFey and COOL!  :salute:

tell tell more more! :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 07:31:25 AM

Uhh... I'm a nerd, and a Browncoat, and a fan of the Serenity RPG. I was doing a bunch of fan stuff, and making 3d ship models for the ships in the movie 'Serenity', and posting stats for them on fan boards, and MWP (the company doing the game) hired me to do the 'spaceships' portion of the supplement to the RPG, called 'Six-Shooters and Spaceships'. I had a big chunk of the stuff done already, and was able to write/assemble half of that book in about 2 weeks.

I got to name several ships in the Alliance fleet, and a few Reaver ships, etc. and 'canonize' a few ships I invented whole cloth. And, maybe most cool, all of the players in my game group got their characters published as the crew of one of the ships in the book, the 'CanTankerous'.

Part of the process of building the models was excruciating level of analysis of film evidence. And part of that is trying to establish scale reference. It just so happens that there are very few perfect scale references that can be drawn, but Longbow-to-Firefly, Crete-to-Firefly, and Longbow-to-Victoria can all be done to a pretty high degree of accuracy. His measurements on the Crete are 'close enough' to mine that I wouldn't argue them. The Longbow is off by a fair amount. The Tohoku is DEAD wrong.

Their scales look about like this (rough model of Tohoku, sorry)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:45 PM
Oooh, wonder if I can secretly print this off on the huge plotter here?  :think:  :D
Is it a... 3D plotter?...
 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:37 PM

Uhh... I'm a nerd, and a Browncoat, and a fan of the Serenity RPG. I was doing a bunch of fan stuff, and making 3d ship models for the ships in the movie 'Serenity', and posting stats for them on fan boards, and MWP (the company doing the game) hired me to do the 'spaceships' portion of the supplement to the RPG, called 'Six-Shooters and Spaceships'. I had a big chunk of the stuff done already, and was able to write/assemble half of that book in about 2 weeks.

I got to name several ships in the Alliance fleet, and a few Reaver ships, etc. and 'canonize' a few ships I invented whole cloth. And, maybe most cool, all of the players in my game group got their characters published as the crew of one of the ships in the book, the 'CanTankerous'.

Part of the process of building the models was excruciating level of analysis of film evidence. And part of that is trying to establish scale reference. It just so happens that there are very few perfect scale references that can be drawn, but Longbow-to-Firefly, Crete-to-Firefly, and Longbow-to-Victoria can all be done to a pretty high degree of accuracy. His measurements on the Crete are 'close enough' to mine that I wouldn't argue them. The Longbow is off by a fair amount. The Tohoku is DEAD wrong.

Their scales look about like this (rough model of Tohoku, sorry)
(Image removed from quote.)
That's rather cool. I love space scifi, but there's no way I could retain so many details of so much data!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 01:26:35 PM
Is it sad that my inner nerd wants to build scale models of all of these?  To the same scale?

Guess I'm going to need to get a 3d printer now.

Def

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 01:27:02 PM
that is very interesting (and so cool) Lynn LeFey! thank you for sharing that :cheers:

same here Grant, only not scale! lol

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 01:35:18 PM
the question is, what scale?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 01:43:40 PM
:rofl: :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 02:23:27 PM
the question is, what scale?

If one had a big enough room to house them all, I'd probably go 1/100 or 1/500 scale.  1/1000 would be far too small for many of the smaller ships.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 05:30:47 PM
The issue of what scale to build to, and maybe more important, where to keep them when completed, are both reasons I prefer digital modeling.

It also seems that my real-world models get broken every time I move. I had a set of Enterprise models, the original, A, B, and D, all in the same scale, that got busted all to crap in one move. Warp Naucelles everywhere!  :cry:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 05:47:11 PM
As a lifelong modeller I had the same problems Lynn- I feel your pain.

I always thought I'd love to have an office/warehouse kind of thing like the Mythbusters' M5.  A place where I can work and hang things like giant scale model Star Destroyers.

If that ever happens I'd be sure and contact a moving company at least once for an estimate, just to see the look on their faces when they walk in and need to safely pack and move a few Enterprises (Enterprii?), a Borg Cube, a couple of Death Stars, a Zentradii battleship, a Shadow Ship and a Cylon Base Star.  :D

Def
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:51:48 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 08:06:52 PM
I haven't built a model for many years, but as a teen I had loads of them, mostly military aircraft and some cars... I split with my step brother on a 1/72 b-52 kit... man that thing was HUGE once we got it all together.

Many of mine did not survive various moves either, in fact I believe my mom still has a box of my stuff that has various bits of A10 warthog floating around in it...

The largest kit scale wise I had was a 1/8th scale 65 corvette stingray.

All I have left now is a couple incomplete 1/24th scale Plymouth Cudas and a Mystery Machine.

Models would only add to my current storage problem caused by my Boba Fettish...  :ahhh

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 08:57:21 AM
I still have (in storage in box) a Jupiter II kit, Green Hornets Black Beauty, Aliens Narcissus, and a 70's vacu-form and resin  War of the Worlds original manta ship (needs lots of work) that one day I will get too! :ahhh ... dream

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%