Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replace the plastic inserts in the handles of a Leatherman MT with new tools?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Has anyone removed the plastic inserts from the handles of the Leatherman Fuse, Kick, etc. and used the newly liberated space to add more tools?
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Has anyone removed the plastic inserts from the handles of the Leatherman Fuse, Kick, etc. and used the newly liberated space to add more tools?

Well now that's an interesting idea. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Tsquare

I have not tried that but if you are going to I have seen on the site here that the clip for the kick can be used as a wrench for the pivots on the side that has the tools just not on the plier head end.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Yeah it would just take you back to the PST days and they weren't to bad  :D and you still wouldn't have the tool clumping  ::)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Are the metal in the handles thick enough without the plastic inserts for support?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
I have not taken a real look at my kick but I would think that the metal would indeed be too thin and it would be like the old PST days :P

David

BTW I ordered a clip for mine, can't wait to try it out. My skeletool has been getting a real workout and I thought this might be a match for those days when strength to weight ratio is a big deal.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
I'm not sure if the actual handles themselves are thinner but under the inserts there is a raised section that would be a lot more uncomfortable than the old PST handles.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I knew if anybody would look into it  that it would be Spoon (again with the praise)  :D plus as always has pics to explain with for some of our (shall we say dimmer members like me :D:D Pics really help me alot I don't have to go and try to visulkize it on my own that way  :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Just now measured them both: The PST sheet metal thickness is 1mm (.039") exactly the same as the Kick/Fuse/Blast.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Oh, I never knew that!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Just now measured them both: The PST sheet metal thickness is 1mm (.039") exactly the same as the Kick/Fuse/Blast.

Thats interesting  :salute:  so now if one could do something about the raised section on the handles then it might be another step towards the goal :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.

Thats interesting  :salute:  so now if one could do something about the raised section on the handles then it might be another step towards the goal :D

i think a bit of tender love from angle grinder with sand disc or some dremel can easily make those waves go away.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Can someone measure the handles of a Core?

are they the same thickness?

The thickness of the metal is one of the reasons I do not have anything from LM's "Classic" range (Kick, Fuse, Blast, Core)

(the other reason being my bizarre fear of plastic)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:06:48 AM by Nomad »

us Offline Adam5

I measured the Core handle thickness to be 1.0 to 1.1 mm (may need a new battery for my digital calipers) for the metal alone and 3.0 mm for the metal plus zytel inserts.

Hope this helpfully  :2tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I hope that he figured it out before now :whistle:

Still good to answer in case they didn't  :cheers: :D

us Offline Adam5

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!