Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Kommer Bear Claw

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
CRKT Kommer Bear Claw
on: June 06, 2008, 05:47:43 PM
Anyone had one of these?
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=37

Seem to recall reading favorable comments on this knife somewhere, but have no idea where.

IIRC, it was designed as an emergency knife for Alaskan bush pilots for cutting seat belt webbing and similar.  The designer then learned that commercial fishermen liked it for emergency cutting to free themselves from nets and ropes.

Looks like it could be decent for both belt wear and to wear on a neck lanyard.  I like that it's a fixed blade of reasonable size because it should be very easy to bring into play one-handed.  I also like the looks of that hole in the grip which should provide positve, slip proof cutting under adverse conditions.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:49:53 PM by ringzero »
N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: CRKT Kommer Bear Claw
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:52:15 PM
I have only seen it mentioned in the Rescue type tools thread.

They do look good.
I'm back!!

Offline Polarbear.mitch

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:15:53 AM
I've mostly seen it used as a woman's purse knife. The short blade is capable of doing some amazing things by virtue of its shape and handle style. I find it to be excellent at shaving and splitting wood for fire building.

Fair warning though, the sheath tends to chafe on those of us with a soggy midsection. It'll wear on your love handles till you figure out your preferred carry method.

I removed the plastic bits on mine and ground down the handle to a three finger grip, that half a pinkie didn't add too much anyway. This keeps the profile down while belt carrying, and it still has most of the power of the full sized handle.

You may want to get one while you can, I don't think their still in production.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:36:47 AM
I've mostly seen it used as a woman's purse knife. The short blade is capable of doing some amazing things by virtue of its shape and handle style. I find it to be excellent at shaving and splitting wood for fire building.

Fair warning though, the sheath tends to chafe on those of us with a soggy midsection. It'll wear on your love handles till you figure out your preferred carry method.

I removed the plastic bits on mine and ground down the handle to a three finger grip, that half a pinkie didn't add too much anyway. This keeps the profile down while belt carrying, and it still has most of the power of the full sized handle.

You may want to get one while you can, I don't think their still in production.

Thanks, Polarbear.mitch - was hoping to hear from someone who actually had owned a Bear Claw.

Does your Bear Claw hold an edge fairly well?

Wonder why it went out of production.  But, you're right that I should probably get both plain edge and serrated while I still can.

N

Offline Polarbear.mitch

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:58:20 AM
It held the original edge for a good long time, and its easy to sharpen with a rod-style sharpening stone. To be honest, mine has never really gotten the chance to go dull. I sharpen the thing somewhat obsessively. Though it does tend to get rust spots like the rest of CRKT's linup, so keep a little steelwool with your sharpening kit.

I think the primary reason it went out of production is overcrowding in the market. It pretty much shares the niche with the Emerson LaGriffe and all its clones. Even KaBar's TDI knives seam to be competing.

I see CRKT as a company with solid products marketed on gimmicks. The Carson flipper is a nifty trick, as well as the guppie's adjustable wrench. But the Bear claw's gimmick is already present in various forms across the market.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:54:54 PM
It held the original edge for a good long time, and its easy to sharpen with a rod-style sharpening stone. To be honest, mine has never really gotten the chance to go dull. I sharpen the thing somewhat obsessively. Though it does tend to get rust spots like the rest of CRKT's linup, so keep a little steelwool with your sharpening kit.

I think the primary reason it went out of production is overcrowding in the market. It pretty much shares the niche with the Emerson LaGriffe and all its clones. Even KaBar's TDI knives seam to be competing.

I see CRKT as a company with solid products marketed on gimmicks. The Carson flipper is a nifty trick, as well as the guppie's adjustable wrench. But the Bear claw's gimmick is already present in various forms across the market.

Thanks for the additonal info re your Bear Claw.

I wasn't aware of all the various clones of the Emerson La Griffe (which looks decent but is way too expensive for me.)

I do really like the basic concept:  short fixed blade knife with finger hole in handle for positive retention and control.

For the modest price at which CRKT was offering these knives, I would have thought them to be a fairly good seller.

Thanks again.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:26:50 AM
I have only seen it mentioned in the Rescue type tools thread.

They do look good.

Wasn't aware of it, but there is a rescue version with orange handle, serrations, and blunt tip.

Here's a better pic of the plain edge and serrated versions:

Here's a pic of the rescue version with blunt tip:

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:37 PM
That orange one looks interesting.  I haven't seen that before either.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD