Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Am I the oddball here?

us Offline sambeaux

Am I the oddball here?
on: April 09, 2014, 02:03:46 PM
 Am I the oddball here?

I have been a SAK fan for decades. My interest in them has grown and waned over time, but I've always been interested in them.
I'm not a "collector"... I don't have any rare models. I don't collect all the colors of any model or all the models of any color. Most
of my SAK's are red cellidox. I only have one alox model; a Wenger patriot. I generally don't have two of any particular model, with a
couple of exceptions. I generally buy my SAKs to fit a particular purpose or perceived need, but I find my needs
and/or tastes change over time. I've never bought any to be safe queens, but I have bought some to stash in toolkits, bugout bags, or
survival kits. Let's see if I can list my eclectic collection:

Victorinox Camper
Victorinox Pocket Pal
Victorinox Cowboy
Victorinox Bijou
Buck Swissbuck Taskmate I
Victorinox Cybertool 34
Wenger Highlander
Wenger Patriot
Victorinox Tinker Small
Victorinox Compact
Wenger Highlander
Victorinox Sportsman
Wenger Commander
Wenger Traveller
Victorinox TrailGuide
Victorinox Sportsman

I've been interested in the 93mm Victorinox knives for a while... specifically a Farmer... at least until I saw Syph007's work.

Anyway, my point is... I'm not a collector or I don't perceive myself as one. I'm also not necessarily the avid "USER" type. I see some
people that have EDC rotations of SAKs and must carry each of theirs at least a little. I'm perfectly happy to have some of my SAK's sit
on a shelf or in a survival kit for years without using them. One or two have even been pretty much relegated to a drawer, never to see
the light of day. I find that I often THINK I will like something, but don't know until I try it. The Cybertool 34 sounded perfect until
I tried to carry it. I was in love with the Victorinox Champion... until I had a chance to use my brother's. So... some of my "trial and
error" errors sit in a drawer.

Are there others like me?

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Am I the oddball here?
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:33 PM
Sounds pretty much like me, though not necessarily limited to SAK's...

I'm not a hard user of my tools, just don't get in the situations where they're needed a lot... Neither do I consider myself a real collector, I don't search for stuff I don't have, don't focus on one thing, or have any 'official' shelf queens.

I mainly -like- my tools, love the thought that went into them, even when it doesn't work out right from time to time.

Basically, I carry, buy, sell, trade and use my tools because I like it, not because I need it, or because I'm trying to get my collection full. They interest me, from a design and thought point of view. And, of course, fiddle factor :D

So.. Well, that :P

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:19:20 PM
Yep, you pretty much summed me up there. I have a couple of SAK's that get regular use, my super tinker, tinker small and explorer. I use a farmer when I think it's tool loadlout might useful and legal in the uk and my forrester when I want a similar loadlout to the farmer but want to push my luck.
I do have a fair few SAK's that never get used, the ones that spring to mind are a Camp Flame, XLT, huntsman light, fieldmaster and a stayglo climber.

I do t think you are an odd ball at all!

Regards, Jon.

Sent using my chubby fingers...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:23:03 PM
Man, you have more SAKs than me. I had just two for more than 26 years (and I was interested on them, just thought that two were one more than enough).
BUT, wait to declare if you are a collector or not, an oddball or not, after some more  months here. And still no plier based multitool?
The real collectors (with huge or focused collections) are a few here I think and they are somewhat introverted. Most of us are here for fun and we have and try some SAKs and Multitools because they are fun. Lots of.
In my opinion of course.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:54 PM
You have a nice collection!

I will only keep tools that I use regularly.

My collection consists of;

Explorer (EDC)
Huntsman (Forest EDC)
Farmer (kept in car)
Recruit (modded as a whittling knife)
Wenger SI (2nd EDC)

I have (fingers crossed) a Swisschamp on the way soon (swapped for an RAF Hunter I got in a swap on another forum). This will be my EDC as it contains all the tools I regularly use.

If I have something in a drawer I pass it on and I'm not interested in limited editions etc. No disrespect to the collectors (SAKs are a brilliant thing to collect) but I love using my tools for their intended (and sometimes unintended) purpose.

I love this forum, and especially love seeing what motivates members and how they modify these brilliant tools.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:00:01 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

As for no pliers based... I have a few of those as well. Probably many more than I need.

Victorinox SwissTool
Leatherman PST
Leatherman Pulse
Leatherman Super 200
Leatherman Charge TI
Leatherman Charge TI black
Leatherman Surge
Leatherman Squirt ES4
Sog PowerPlier

If it helps, I EDC a Victorinox Compact and a Leatherman Charge.

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:12 PM
My new need/want is a Victorinox Farmer... preferably a Syph007 custom creation to include a metal saw and perhaps with the inline phillips.

I love the idea of having both saws.

us Offline Random Dan

• I am a leaf on the wind
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:00:22 PM
My new need/want is a Victorinox Farmer... preferably a Syph007 custom creation to include a metal saw and perhaps with the inline phillips.

I love the idea of having both saws.
His work is really top notch, you won't be disappointed :tu:.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:07:24 PM by Random Dan »
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods"

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:03:17 PM
You sound pretty normal OP! I call myself a collector but I really collect the knives I like and use...oh, and I like having tons of a few spares.  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline RedRamage

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 06:47:52 PM
I have been a SAK fan for decades. My interest in them has grown and waned over time, but I've always been interested in them.  I'm not a "collector"...

Let's see if I can list my eclectic collection:

Victorinox Camper
Victorinox Pocket Pal
Victorinox Cowboy
Victorinox Bijou
Victorinox Cybertool 34
Wenger Highlander
Wenger Patriot
Victorinox Tinker Small
Victorinox Compact
Wenger Highlander
Victorinox Sportsman
Wenger Commander
Wenger Traveller
Victorinox TrailGuide
Victorinox Sportsman

Anyway, my point is... I'm not a collector or I don't perceive myself as one.

I hate to break it to you dude... but you're a collector.  Anyone who has more than three or four SAKs would be deemed a collector in my opinion.  You may not be as avid a collector as many others, but when you think about new SAKs, when you consider the tool set and the size for carry, or what models you want in what kits/bag/etc... that's a collector talking. 

Maybe not the same kind of collector who looks for colors or models, but still a Swiss Army Knife fan and one who collects for his own desires.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 06:55:36 PM
I have been a SAK fan for decades. My interest in them has grown and waned over time, but I've always been interested in them.  I'm not a "collector"...

Victorinox Camper
Victorinox Pocket Pal
Victorinox Cowboy
Victorinox Bijou
Victorinox Cybertool 34
Wenger Highlander
Wenger Patriot
Victorinox Tinker Small
Victorinox Compact
Wenger Highlander
Victorinox Sportsman
Wenger Commander
Wenger Traveller
Victorinox TrailGuide
Victorinox Sportsman

I hate to break it to you dude... but you're a collector.  Anyone who has more than three or four SAKs would be deemed a collector in my opinion.  You may not be as avid a collector as many others, but when you think about new SAKs, when you consider the tool set and the size for carry, or what models you want in what kits/bag/etc... that's a collector talking. 

Maybe not the same kind of collector who looks for colors or models, but still a Swiss Army Knife fan and one who collects for his own desires.
Wow I guess I'm a collector :think:
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:19:25 PM

Victorinox Camper
Victorinox Pocket Pal
Victorinox Cowboy
Victorinox Bijou
Victorinox Cybertool 34
Wenger Highlander
Wenger Patriot
Victorinox Tinker Small
Victorinox Compact
Wenger Highlander
Victorinox Sportsman
Wenger Commander
Wenger Traveller
Victorinox TrailGuide
Victorinox Sportsman

Spares to my EDC Pioneer...... :cheers: :D

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Offline RedRamage

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:50:49 PM
Wow I guess I'm a collector :think:
Okay, okay... Maybe I'm over stepping my authority in assigning the collector label.   :)

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone collects differently with SAKs.  Color, size, year, model, need, whatever...  So I think someone can be a collector without having to looks for a specific traditional collection method.  In my opinion, he's a collector of models that are good knives for him.   Obviously just my opinion, and I don't see any negative connotations with being a collector... well, other than the negative aspects to the wallet.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 09:14:05 PM

+1

But it'll be a good excuse for wives, partners ... :think:
- Look, got only 20 saks of the same color, not collector though  :whistle:
God bless you, sambeaux :D

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 09:27:01 PM
Am I the oddball here?

I have been a SAK fan for decades. My interest in them has grown and waned over time, but I've always been interested in them.
I'm not a "collector"... I don't have any rare models. I don't collect all the colors of any model or all the models of any color. Most
of my SAK's are red cellidox. I only have one alox model; a Wenger patriot. I generally don't have two of any particular model, with a
couple of exceptions. I generally buy my SAKs to fit a particular purpose or perceived need, but I find my needs
and/or tastes change over time. I've never bought any to be safe queens, but I have bought some to stash in toolkits, bugout bags, or
survival kits. Let's see if I can list my eclectic collection:

Victorinox Camper
Victorinox Pocket Pal
Victorinox Cowboy
Victorinox Bijou
Victorinox Cybertool 34
Wenger Highlander
Wenger Patriot
Victorinox Tinker Small
Victorinox Compact
Wenger Highlander
Victorinox Sportsman
Wenger Commander
Wenger Traveller
Victorinox TrailGuide
Victorinox Sportsman

I've been interested in the 93mm Victorinox knives for a while... specifically a Farmer... at least until I saw Syph007's work.

Anyway, my point is... I'm not a collector or I don't perceive myself as one. I'm also not necessarily the avid "USER" type. I see some
people that have EDC rotations of SAKs and must carry each of theirs at least a little. I'm perfectly happy to have some of my SAK's sit
on a shelf or in a survival kit for years without using them. One or two have even been pretty much relegated to a drawer, never to see
the light of day. I find that I often THINK I will like something, but don't know until I try it. The Cybertool 34 sounded perfect until
I tried to carry it. I was in love with the Victorinox Champion... until I had a chance to use my brother's. So... some of my "trial and
error" errors sit in a drawer.

Are there others like me?

Looks more like the buck is the oddball.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 09:30:56 PM
LMAO!!

Well... I guess by some viewpoints, I'm a collect. I guess I just never considered myself one. No shelf queens, no hunt for rare models or quest for collecting all the colors. Just trying to figure out what fits me or the task I'm trying to accomplish.

:climber:

Sam

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 10:08:29 PM
I don't consider myself a collector either, although by some previously stated definitions, I guess I am.

I think of myself as someone looking for the right tool, or tools. That means getting and testing a lot of kinds of tools. THAT means having a bunch laying around. And, until I'm virtually certain that the tool isn't right for me, it's going to be cheaper hanging onto it, because having to repurchase a tool is more expensive.

That's MY excuse, anyway. :D

I don't baby my tools. If  get it, it comes out of the package for testing. I also don't beat up my tools intentionally. I'm not all that hard on tools. Then again, if I REALLY need to do something in the field, I do it, with damage to the tool being irrelevant. It's usually the tools that survive the punishment that earn my admiration.

I guess right now, I have 16 SAKs. One in my car emergency bag, one in my home emergency bag. One Silvertech Climber I had to get while away from home to cover my needs. One I inherited from my late father-in-law (the closest thing I have to a 'shelf queen'). 4 were given to me by folks on these boards. The rest were all purchased to test various functions or combinations of tools for EDC.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:47 AM
LMAO!!

Well... I guess by some viewpoints, I'm a collect. I guess I just never considered myself one. No shelf queens, no hunt for rare models or quest for collecting all the colors. Just trying to figure out what fits me or the task I'm trying to accomplish.

:climber:

Sam
So, you can relax now , you're not the oddball  :D
You're just "one among equals" ... addiction manifests itself in different ways :facepalm:
btw, I'm not a "collector" too :whistle:  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 12:43:59 AM
I suspect to earn the title 'collector' you have to be buying things with absolutely no intention of using it.  Whether you actually use them day-by-day isn't necessarily the point, but simply the willingness to do so is. 

I do find myself in the same situation TBH, far far more than I could ever actually need, but all of my SAKs appealed to me for some reason at some point.  In other words all my SAKs were bought with usefulness in mind. :)

I don't want anyone to think I am bashing collecting, I'm really not, it's just not my mindset when buying SAKs and multitools.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:14 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
It is wise to have same spare just in case, although it seems that you're a bit like collecting something red ... :facepalm:

Offline derv

Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 01:22:22 AM
I'm the same way, really. I have three SAKs with plans for a Swisstool and a few more SAKs in the near future. I carry and use mine and don't wish to spend $80+ on a special edition color. I like them for their usefulness and ease of carry, as I am too pragmatic to try and collect things...trust me, I have tried.

I will admit to being brand myopic to Victorinox. I really like they're products, from SAKs and Swisstools to their kitchen cutlery and even watches, though I don't own one (yet).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:38 AM
Is the collector label off putting?  I see myself as a collector of used and interesting tools.  I have no intention of using them only enjoying them and having a play from time to time.  I'm more a Leatherman collector but I do have several SAKs that initially I intended on using but they realistically wont see any.  I also don't have a "set" criteria I collect other than the Cybertool Line,  I mostly buy what interests me.   

I feel regardless of whether or not the tool was bought to use, test, or for comparison purposes it was kept after said intention.   These tools have begun to accumulate so in effect a collection is assembled.  BTW great collection.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 01:30:21 PM
Nothing wrong with collecting at all. I collect differant things, including multis and Sak. But they don't collect dust either. Nothing wrong with buying them just to put them up and look at them either. Its all good.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 01:39:22 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
It is wise to have same spare just in case, although it seems that you're a bit like collecting something red ... :facepalm:

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 02:49:18 PM
I only came here looking for ideas.  Turns out I got some pretty bad ones. ::)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 03:25:27 PM
You came to the right place for wrong ideas.

live from Nate's mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 03:25:51 PM
Is the collector label off putting?  I see myself as a collector of used and interesting tools.  I have no intention of using them only enjoying them and having a play from time to time.  I'm more a Leatherman collector but I do have several SAKs that initially I intended on using but they realistically wont see any.  I also don't have a "set" criteria I collect other than the Cybertool Line,  I mostly buy what interests me.   

I feel regardless of whether or not the tool was bought to use, test, or for comparison purposes it was kept after said intention.   These tools have begun to accumulate so in effect a collection is assembled.  BTW great collection.

No, not offputting. I guess I just have certain things in mind when I think of collectors. Things like looking for or owning valuable antiques or "collectibles"... acquiring all the models of a particular color, or all the colors of a particular model.

I guess if just being a guy who has a bunch is being a collector, then I'm a collector of several things. LOL

Sam

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 06:01:04 PM
Thanks for making me feel like the odd one out there.  :D

A collection means different things to different people. I first started off not collecting plier based multi-tools because frankly, I didn't have much interest in them. I always viewed them as tools for a job. Hence my first MT was a cheap American Camper PST clonish type of a tool used out on the archery range because I needed something more than a pair of dedicated pliers to remove field points from trees.

Then my dad passed away and I found myself cleaning his bedroom up. It was a very unenviable situation to find myself in. I took a full month before I could even enter the room. Then I started cleaning up in earnest. I found one than another, and then another, etc. Before I knew it, I had around 20 of the darn things all heaped up in a pile. I never knew he was into them so much. Yes, I knew he had a few. Even went so far as to buy himself a Leatherman Pulse as his dress MT...and I also knew that as a tradesman, he always carried a knife on a belt sheath at all times. However, once I had that neat little pile of multi-tools on the bed, a thought struck me, that maybe I should honour his memory by collecting multi-tools. I looked for information online and that is how I found this website. I then found very few images of tools online, and thus that has partly driven my collection, acquiring new tools and posting photos of them on this forum. I would lie to you if I didn't admit that this website has only served to encourage my collecting habits...and I am very ok with that.

Then I found these things called SAKs. Now prior to this, I had several collections. For example, in the past I collected coins and stamps, and still currently collect First Day Covers. I did not seriously considered a SAK as a multi-tool until I started reading how great these little knives are. I bought a few Wengers from a local store and never looked back. It was all too easy to start collecting these...and SAKWiki didn't help either. Come to think of it, I did not call myself a SAK collector until I found myself buying a limited edition SAK, even though at that point, I had well over 40.

I must be honest however, I do not actively collect SAKs these days as I think I have enough. My first love however has always been the plier based multi-tools. I collect because of sentimental reasons mostly. The SAKs I collect because once I dug deeper, they are fascinating little things and do fit into the parameter of a multi-tool.

As for being introverted, some days, yes, but most days no. I am not shy with my photography or my collection. I do agree that many collectors do not like displaying or showing off their collections. I unfortunately do not suffer from this affliction which means that everyone here has to suffer my postings at times.  :D

Oh, there is nothing wrong with being a collector of users, or of shelf queens, or a mixture of both. I like to use some of my tools. I tend to carry a Leatherman Knifeless Fuse most days because it is work safe. I also tend to carry a Swiss+Tech Utili-key on my key chain. I use a Leatherman MUT for my motorcycling, and am overly fond...sorry Def, of the Schrade Navitool for when I go outdoors. I also get to try out all sorts of gear and from all the fiddling, and using, I have a good idea of what I like and don't like. I don't have an EDC rotation. I just don't think that way. I tend to find something I like and keep using it for a long time. Not saying that is a bad thing...its just not me to constantly rotate items. Thankfully, I am not in search of the perfect multi-tool either. That sort of searching would drive me bonkers.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:03:11 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 07:25:39 PM
I suspect to earn the title 'collector' you have to be buying things with absolutely no intention of using it.  Whether you actually use them day-by-day isn't necessarily the point, but simply the willingness to do so is. 

I do find myself in the same situation TBH, far far more than I could ever actually need, but all of my SAKs appealed to me for some reason at some point.  In other words all my SAKs were bought with usefulness in mind. :)

I don't want anyone to think I am bashing collecting, I'm really not, it's just not my mindset when buying SAKs and multitools.

I think you are right when collection stamps. You dont use them, because if you do, someone else ends up with them. In the case of tools, although collectable, they are tools.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:33 AM
I actually love the idea that I am a collector and conservator if you will of retired LM tools.  I retract my sentiment of what a collector is as it definitely means something different to each of us. 

I guess we wouldn't call a fisherman/woman with a lot of fishing poles a collector of fishing poles.  He/she would be a user and if some poles were no longer used then collector still wouldn't be used.

To answer the OP question, you are very much like many who are on the elusive search of the perfect companion.  It seems this process has been outlined here once before with regards to how one may go about buying, trying, and either keeping or selling tools.  You do seem to have a few discontinued tools and while that alone doesn't make you a collector you have acquired some nice "limited" tools non the less. 

It's a fun process of buying and trying different tools and when they begin to accumulate the accumulation is up to the individual to classify.  Regardless of what's its called it a fun process and you get to try some neat tool in the process. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD