Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favourite Indigenous Knives?

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Favourite Indigenous Knives?
Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 12:13:12 AM
What?

They were irish!

(Get it, potatoes? irish? oh you guys are useless.)

Aww leave the poor Irish alone, its too easy* :D

Inquiring mind wants to know, did the Aboriginals of Australia ever get around to metal working? If so did they come up with any interesting knife designs? :)

*I have nothing against the Irish, i just needed to use them in the context of this joke, wait why am i trying to be PC, although i dont have anything against the irish!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 12:14:52 AM
What?

They were irish!

(Get it, potatoes? irish? oh you guys are useless.)

Aww leave the poor Irish alone, its too easy* :D

Inquiring mind wants to know, did the Aboriginals of Australia ever get around to metal working? If so did they come up with any interesting knife designs? :)

*I have nothing against the Irish, i just needed to use them in the context of this joke, wait why am i trying to be PC, although i dont have anything against the irish!
As far as I'm aware they didn't use any metal until we came and poluted there society ::)

There main bush tool was always the ''Digging Stick'' :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 12:16:04 AM
I didn't think they did :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 03:20:50 PM

hmm....looks like its well made,i guess ill add it to my wishlist ;)

Cold Steel Rajah II
-7" blade made of AUS-8A.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:22:46 PM by Tarrodemierda »

Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 06:07:06 PM
That would make an awesome fighter >:D, shame every copper would realise that too :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 10:49:02 AM
i just found this sweet little knife,i thought its from russia but it can be bought from uk.
looks just fine to me,since i like those large dullheaded blades.

SARO expeditionary knife:

" The all black SARO Expeditionary Machete has a similar blade shape to the old Saratov machete, which was siad to be standard issue to the elite 'Spetznaz' units of the former Soviet Union's army. However, the SARO machete is slimmer in construction and lacks the Spetznaz model's separate cross guard, polymer handle and 'survival kit' packed in the hollow butt cap. Instead the SARO has a one-piece full tang construction - making it extremely strong - with a shaped cross guard and a flat handle which can have a wooden grip or a black cord wrap (the test knife had the latter). The machete is made of blackened carbon steel 65G with a Rockwell hradness factor of 54-56 HRC. This steel is also used to build the leaf spring suspension on Soviet trucks - so we can assume that it's fairly durable... The test knife was supplied with a sharp edge on the spatula shaped blade, and it should be relatively easy to keep that way. The first inch or so of the edge has a deep serration just above the guard which has a drilled hole for a lanyard or some other use (there's a more normally positioned lanyard hole at the knife's butt). The spine side of the guard has a coarsely milled section, presumably to rest the thumb when making finer cuts. In fromt of this is a forward facing cut-out with no bevel followed closely by another 'choil' like cut out - I confess that I cannot guess what they are for, although the former could be used like a Spanish notch or as a blade catcher but I very much doubt it...can anybody enlighten me ? The rest of the spine is taken up by a very coarse but very effective wood saw with a double row of anti-clogging teeth. Where the 'spatula'blade meets the spine, there's another choil, this time facing back along the knife and with a single bevel making it quite sharp (maybe for cutting through canvas, bark or leather like a guthook ?). Both sides of the blade have a very narrow fuller, and the right hand side is market with a calibrated row of dots from 0 to 16cm. The sheath is made with reinforced Kodra 1000, with a two inch belt loop, press stud safety fastening and a 5" x 1.5" outer closable pocket to carry a sharpening stone. The cord handle is narrow but quite easy to grip woth the haft flaring out as it reached the pommel. The shape of this tool gives it a multiple use blade with two cutting edges (narrow section), chopping edge (wider section) and a sawing edge (on the spine). In addition the sharpened end of the 'spatula' can be used for grind/cutting and digging. All in all, a very handy tool for use in and around camp."

source:COMBAT & SURVIVAL / October 2003

Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:00 PM
Yep I've been wanting one for a long time :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD