Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My latest project. What is it?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: My latest project. What is it?
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:30 PM
Great decision Boss. :tu:

That other one you had was a complete junker.
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 09:18:50 PM
Some of my favourite parts from the 90's was campagnoli headsets and hubs,mavic 631 chainsets,flite titanium saddles, ringle bottle cages,the list could go on,oh those single days and money to burn  :D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:45 PM
i love campy over shimaNO on a road bike. I built up my specialized allez with mirage and veloce. Campagnolo makes some awesome components. Stuff is a work of art in mobile fashion.
:like:    :MTO:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 10:34:10 PM

The rear shifter seems functional although it's not attached to anything, but the front doesn't up or down shift.  I figure I'm going to have to replace the front shifter, which means probably replacing the rear shifter (keep the "set") which also means replacing the brake handles since these are an all in one unit.  I think it goes without saying that it'll get new cables all around.

I know I'm a bit late to respond and that you've found another bike, but just in case you would like to work on your "free" bike, looking at the pic above I noticed that the cable of the front derailleur is not connected to the front shifter, there should be a cable going up from the derailleur, not down (don't know if this was mentioned here before by someone). 

And you could always try to make it a single speed bike and use it for driving to grocery store for example (that is, if the grocery store is located near your home ...).  Single speed bikes have one chain wheel at the front, and one in the back.  That way you don't need derailleurs and shifters.  One major drawback on single speed bikes, if your going to do a lot of up- and downhill it's not ideal (to say the least).

Anyway, now that you got another bike, I wouldn't spend much money on the free one  ;).

Edit: On some bikes, the cable on the front derailleur goes down, to the bottom of the frame, but not in the way shown in the pic above  ;).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:37:34 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 11:59:47 PM
I also love Campy goupo and went all out on my road bike ( what I could afford ) and rode the crap out of that bike for nearly 20 years.  I never got into MBing but have taken quite the interest in it since my area has some wicked trails.  I'm not so sure how this old body would do  :think:.  I'd have to go suspension but man those prices are crazy to get setup. 

Bike looks great Boss  :tu: take it easy and ride every day you are able, in no time you will be in killer shape. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 12:19:10 PM
My plan is to follow the path I did the other day every day or every other day until I can manage it properly.  It's about two kilometers and is largely trails and hills.  I was drenched with sweat by the time I came home the other day, so I can see how put of shape I am!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 03:50:25 PM
My plan is to follow the path I did the other day every day or every other day until I can manage it properly.  It's about two kilometers and is largely trails and hills.  I was drenched with sweat by the time I came home the other day, so I can see how put of shape I am!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

With your paddling and this your gonna be in top shape.  Part of the trick is also selecting the right gear ( not too low or high ) and enjoy the ride.  Riding is a great work out and MTBing looks like a killer way to get into shape without the cages (cars) gunning for you.  Have fun Boss   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 05:15:31 PM
Definitely sounds like you found yourself a good workout! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 10:19:54 PM
My second time out on it wasn't as pathetic as the first time, although to be honest that's not me improving so much as the day being not quite as hot and having some idea of where I'm going.  I'm going to include my tracks here to show my progress or lack thereof for my reference and your amusement.  :P

I think you might be interested in this track:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BygxUHLkg5hKak5hRTlfY3RlRHM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Created by Google My Tracks on Android

Name: Bike Run
Activity type: cycling
Description: Usual bike Run,  attempt 2
Total distance: 1.97 km (1.2 mi)
Total time: 10:47
Moving time: 10:26
Average speed: 10.94 km/h (6.8 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 11.32 km/h (7.0 mi/h)
Max speed: 25.21 km/h (15.7 mi/h)
Average pace: 5:29 min/km (8:50 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 5:18 min/km (8:32 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 2:23 min/km (3:50 min/mi)
Max elevation: 26 m (84 ft)
Min elevation: 0 m (2 ft)
Elevation gain: 59 m (192 ft)
Max grade: 22 %
Min grade: -9 %
Recorded: 8/3/2014 16:59

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:49 PM
 :think: Is it just me, or does the return track look a LOT more wobbly than the outward? :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 11:53:19 PM
This will sound like an excuse, but it is the absolute truth- I was avoiding potholes on the trip back.  My side of the street is much worse than the other as the buses only go one way on this loop.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 03:47:39 AM
Looks like a great loop, make sure you got your rear light flashing and a front beam even during the day. I don't know how Canadian drivers are but these darn California drives are crazy  :D.  It would be sweet if your dogs could run along side you. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 09:55:45 AM
My second time out on it wasn't as pathetic as the first time, although to be honest that's not me improving so much as the day being not quite as hot and having some idea of where I'm going.  I'm going to include my tracks here to show my progress or lack thereof for my reference and your amusement.  :P

I think you might be interested in this track:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BygxUHLkg5hKak5hRTlfY3RlRHM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Created by Google My Tracks on Android

Name: Bike Run
Activity type: cycling
Description: Usual bike Run,  attempt 2
Total distance: 1.97 km (1.2 mi)
Total time: 10:47
Moving time: 10:26
Average speed: 10.94 km/h (6.8 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 11.32 km/h (7.0 mi/h)
Max speed: 25.21 km/h (15.7 mi/h)
Average pace: 5:29 min/km (8:50 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 5:18 min/km (8:32 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 2:23 min/km (3:50 min/mi)
Max elevation: 26 m (84 ft)
Min elevation: 0 m (2 ft)
Elevation gain: 59 m (192 ft)
Max grade: 22 %
Min grade: -9 %
Recorded: 8/3/2014 16:59

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery
That looks good, whats the road condition in the park and how frequent are you planning on doing that run?

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%