Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can we get the red Pioneer X in the US anywhere?

fr Offline jcfiguet

Re: Can we get the red Pioneer X in the US anywhere?
Reply #90 on: October 28, 2016, 03:07:15 AM
I know there is an area on this site to donate to it's operating expenses but when I give informations or when you find informations on http://www.couteaux-du-soldat-suisse.ch/ or on other forums in Europe, no one claims money and we have also operating expenses!

Yes, but the difference is that MTO is not a retail site, hence the .org suffix. Retail sites like yours with .com, .co.uk, .ch, .ca etc. suffixes are commercial and do not depend on donations.  :salute:

I will not get into the debate about domain names, .org or not, it is not the real problem...
Just a remark to clarify: You say "Retail sites like yours", but LCSAS is not MY site ! It's the site of an association of collectors, the president of this association is my friend and I'm the webmaster, no more, no less!
I don't think it could be very dangerous for the business of MTO, I think this policy is reductive for MTO members, but it's the MTO rule. So I will not get into unnecessary controversy...

ok JC, also just to clarify, read "yours" as "one you are associated with, and are the webmaster of", which is more in the spirit of what I meant. Apologies for my lazy American usage of the English language, it does seem to leave room for misinterpretation. There is income generated by and for various .org sites for various reasons and I have no argument there, but generally speaking the .org suffix is reserved for non-profit sites and, strictly speaking, MTO is not a retail site. I doubt the debatability of this point. I am not arguing the use of domain suffixes in all possible cases, just the fact that MTO is not a retail site, and the one you are associated with, and are webmaster of, is most certainly a retail site. There are advertisements on MTO that generate income for the site, and also a widget for charitable donations. This is necessary to cover expenses associated with the site's operation and upkeep, which on retail sites is generally covered by the sales of products and the cost is passed along to the patrons in the form of increased prices, this seems to be how it generally works according to my basic understanding of economics and retail marketing. Please feel free to correct me if I am getting this wrong, as I am always open to new ideas about how things work.  :salute:

No problem with the "yours" ! LOL. I'm french and my english comes only from school ! So I don't always understand all subtleties of English language.
In fact you see 2 ways of management but all are without profit and I think this is not exactly understood like that : MTO covers its expenses with donations and LSCAS with sales of new or used knives.
All money is invested for the museum, documents, books, web site, translators, meetings, etc. And also to be given to foundations of help to handicaped persons.
LCSAS gives also free/gratis services : the visit of our museum, if you want an expertise of old Swiss soldier knife, or if you want an expert opinion before buying a Swiss soldier knife.
In Europe, we have no problem with other forums, LCSAS is just a partner : for exemple lot of members of a forum want to buy the same knife, LCSAS can offer very good prices for a combined shipping at only one address. And I think it's a good deal for everyone.
I think it's important to understand that first we are collectors so we are not "enemies" but "allies" even if our management is different.

Now I have to go to Belgium for my work and I will be out of home till Sunday, so if you want to have more explanations, feel free to contact me with PM I will answer later.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:17:39 AM by jcfiguet »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD