Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I think I've seen it all now and I despair

ph Offline carboncopy101

Re: I think I've seen it all now and I despair
Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 04:06:37 PM
 :facepalm: Oh my god why?

Seriously what happened?  :-[

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 09:47:56 AM
I read this in the guardian, on some other topic, and it seemed relevant to the original post

"Sociologist Karen Bettez Halnon was one of the first to give a name to what she called “poor chic” in a paper in 2002, which she described as an “array of fads and fashions in popular culture that make recreational or stylish – and often expensive – ‘fun’ of poverty”. To it we might add various other kinds of downward impersonation: shabby chic, gang chic, blue collar chic – which allow people further up the social strata to “vacation” in a world of fictional grit."
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:49 AM
I read this in the guardian, on some other topic, and it seemed relevant to the original post

"Sociologist Karen Bettez Halnon was one of the first to give a name to what she called “poor chic” in a paper in 2002, which she described as an “array of fads and fashions in popular culture that make recreational or stylish – and often expensive – ‘fun’ of poverty”. To it we might add various other kinds of downward impersonation: shabby chic, gang chic, blue collar chic – which allow people further up the social strata to “vacation” in a world of fictional grit."

To take pleasure in any form with poverty is low. This "fashion" belittles and takes for granted hard work.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 11:59:09 AM
Damned posers, is all I'll say.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:06 PM
posers, with their fancy Swiss army knives and multitools... As if a cheap knife and some cheap pliers are not good enough for them.....

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 04:02:53 PM
Is it really that different from wearing camo-pants in everyday life? Or a superhero shirt?

Its a fashion statement and a very clever PR coup (after all, even here we discuss about id).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:33 PM
LIke wearing camo-pants when you are not at war or a superhero shirt despite not being a super-hero.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 04:07:59 PM
Rat racers are also quite popular, with fake rust look, especially in the Hot Rod scene.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 04:18:48 PM
LIke wearing camo-pants when you are not at war or a superhero shirt despite not being a super-hero.
The Camo pants thing does not bother me. Maybe because I grew up as a rug rat. But mainly a lot of ex military wear them after they served. Not the whole uniform with patches and the such. My father still has some he wears. He has a closet full of them after spending 20 years in the USAF. No sense in buy tons of work jeans when he has tons of them in Camo and D.O. green.
As to buying dirty pants, to each his own I guess. I am saving tons of money by getting mine all dirty and greasy on my own. Hell, if I look at a piece of machinery or a grease gun I get dirty.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:23:42 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 05:14:33 PM
Fashion is interesting.  In reality each of us wear a uniform whether we want to see it or not.  The jeans being sold are silly to me.  Would I chastise someone for buying them?  No.  Do I have an opinion on the jeans? Yes, they are silly.

Heck when my daughters bought jeans with tears in them I laughed.  I told them they could go to the thrift store for this style to which they laughed. 

Heres is my philosophy

Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:25 PM
The Camo pants thing does not bother me. Maybe because I grew up as a rug rat. But mainly a lot of ex military wear them after they served. Not the whole uniform with patches and the such. My father still has some he wears. He has a closet full of them after spending 20 years in the USAF. No sense in buy tons of work jeans when he has tons of them in Camo and D.O. green.
As to buying dirty pants, to each his own I guess. I am saving tons of money by getting mine all dirty and greasy on my own. Hell, if I look at a piece of machinery or a grease gun I get dirty.
Camo doesn't bother me either, neither does fake dirt or factory torn jeans. I would not buy jeans from that brand fake dirt or not, I find them way too expensive.

As you said, to each his own.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 06:19:43 PM
how about diver watches worn by people who do not dive?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 06:28:35 PM

Fiends!  :dwts:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 06:38:47 PM
Or phones by people who don't phone.. just text :ahhh

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:39 PM
or, SUVs used by people that do not go offroad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:19 PM
Diver watches are also useful for people with eyesight problems (most have big dials and high contrast color combinations) and also for people who want to wear their watch while bathing on the surface, or when taking a shower. I do like to wear a watch while I am into the sea or while taking a quick shower and have restricted time.
SUVs are good for people who like a high h-point seating and a high roof for their head and a vertical driving position and a high distance from the ground. In our roads, who are as good as off road routes (with all kinds of vertical and lateral anomalies and the friction of a wet European road when they are dry and of a snowy European road when they are wet), the SUV is the logical way to go. I lost a lot of exausts and wheels to obtain that wisdom.
Similarly, many qualities of some speSmurfpillsed products might make them suitable for a totally different use. I parashutist's jump suit is comfortable enough for many different tasks, a mounteneer's shoe is good for the city too (a city with all kinds of mud, dirt, slippery slopes and eternal construction sites around).
Would we add to the list guns carried by people who don't shoot? I hope they wont!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:14 PM
Diver watches are also useful for people with eyesight problems (most have big dials and high contrast color combinations) and also for people who want to wear their watch while bathing on the surface, or when taking a shower. I do like to wear a watch while I am into the sea or while taking a quick shower and have restricted time.
SUVs are good for people who like a high h-point seating and a high roof for their head and a vertical driving position and a high distance from the ground. In our roads, who are as good as off road routes (with all kinds of vertical and lateral anomalies and the friction of a wet European road when they are dry and of a snowy European road when they are wet), the SUV is the logical way to go. I lost a lot of exausts and wheels to obtain that wisdom.
Similarly, many qualities of some speSmurfpillsed products might make them suitable for a totally different use. I parashutist's jump suit is comfortable enough for many different tasks, a mounteneer's shoe is good for the city too (a city with all kinds of mud, dirt, slippery slopes and eternal construction sites around).
Would we add to the list guns carried by people who don't shoot? I hope they wont!

I'm a massive poseur; I've been carrying a pistol for 15 years and I've never even tried to shoot someone  :cry:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:11 PM
That's the point. You deserve to carry it.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 11:13:14 PM
Can I get into pubs after 6 with fake mud?

"Sorry mate, dress code after 6 - no work wear or singlets"

"Ah my good sir! I think you'll find this is DESIGNER mud! Quite acceptable! Please show me to the bistro!"

(This is a legitimate concern, as a loyal patron of the RSL (or "The Arey") the ritual of donning a passably clean shirt and giving the boots a once over to ensure appropriate respect is paid to the establishment is an honored tradition.)

or, SUVs used by people that do not go offroad

I don't blame the consumer, they are victims of marketing and sales pitches.

My gripe is with people who design SUVs that can't go off road ( :rant: )

I don't want to get too political here - but does that mean by wearing tidy dress clothes on weekends and evenings, I am "vacationing" in a world of fictional upward impersonation?

Or is it just that I manage to own more than one set of clothes (yes, Lah-di-dah look at me, I can afford two pairs of trousers).

I'm going to get philosophical on you here  and quote Marcus Aurelius (You may know him from The Gladiator)

not to walk about in the house in my outdoor dress, nor to do other things of the kind;

Now to be fair, Marcus was Emperor of Rome, so he was probably flush with cash, but the lesson stands - Have at least two sets of clothes, and wear them as appropriate to your occupation at that time.

(He wrote a bunch of other stuff, which I won't go into here, because much of it is damning, and says things like "don't pointlessly gossip" or "remark upon subjects that don't affect you and of which you have no knowledge" which would condemn this thread far more than I intend :D )

GETTING WAY OFF TRACK HERE: Jeans were designed as workwear (half a set of overalls....), so having them as fashion AT ALL is feeding into young love who waited until 2002 to work out a word for "blue collar chic", and were made popular by (guessing here) James Dean? and gang culture and USA pop movies of the (50s? 60s?)

So to whinge about it circa 2017 is sort of like making jokes about airline food - You're WAAAY behind the times.

The swings and roundabouts is - many workplaces (factories etc) don't really prefer denim jeans - You get Drill workwear (still cotton, different pattern, not really made by popular Jeans brands) and high-vis everything.

Given that the "cultural" owners of Jeans are not even using them anymore, there's no real reason not to do whatever you want with them.

It remains that pre-faded, threadbare or muddied jeans look ridiculous, but it's every person's right (in my country anyway) to look as ridiculous as you wish, so who am I to say they can't?

Some final inane thoughts -

The Camo thing bothers me a bit, I do a bit of hunting and I don't even having camo clothing for that, and as far as I can tell standing in the bush is the only time camouflage pattern clothing doesn't make you look an absolute git,

then again, my government just bought a bunch of "blue" camouflage clothing to make our air force guys look more like...the sky?

(tax dollars well spent, I'm sure)

https://www.airforce.gov.au/About-us/About-the-RAAF/Air-Force-General-Purpose-Uniform/?RAAF-4U4d0xqin/tKoDM01/dIeUFheHnCWT8Q

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:33:55 PM by Sea Monster »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 11:51:57 PM

then again, my government just bought a bunch of "blue" camouflage clothing to make our air force guys look more like...the sky?

(tax dollars well spent, I'm sure)

https://www.airforce.gov.au/About-us/About-the-RAAF/Air-Force-General-Purpose-Uniform/?RAAF-4U4d0xqin/tKoDM01/dIeUFheHnCWT8Q
Heyyy now.. The FAQ in your link says that the new uniforms are "cost neutral".  :cry: ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: May 10, 2017, 01:37:25 AM
Heyyy now.. The FAQ in your link says that the new uniforms are "cost neutral".

I'm not privy to all of the government's secrets, but I do know some numbers :P

Hat General Purposes Airforce: $126,280.00
General Purpose Uniforms - Airforce: $2,208,746.10
General Purpose Uniform Air Force . Maternity Coat: $44,533.49
General Purpose uniforms (GPU) For Air Force, Coats and Trousers: $1,526,908.90

Comes to around $300 per person for our Air Force (Give or take, my googlefu is not able to tell me exactly how many people need to be camouflaged against the sky)

I have no idea what it cost for the old ones, and I doubt I'd be able to work it out.

Cheaper than pre muddied jeans at least  :rofl: ::)

Edit: If I use this picture

as a baseline, only 1/4 of them wear the sky cams, which brings the cost to around $1100 per person :rofl: :rofl:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:43:09 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #51 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:32 AM
That is still cheap. 300 hundred a person. My uniforms at work cost more than that. Don't look no where near as cool.  LOL!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #52 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01:41 AM
We all have blue jeans, I have since I was a little lad before even started school. 

When in high school, jeans were not accepted (67 - 71). 

But, I realized about that time that my DAD did own a pair of jeans and never ever wore a pair of jeans in his life. 

Per my grandma, (his mom), jeans were dungarees, and was worn by the ditch diggers. Even though he was a celery farmer in his teens, he would wear the navy blue towncraft workwear. And as a industrial painter he wore bibs of a Jean like material, but they wear WHITE.  His trousers were either white or navy blue workwear only except Sunday then his suit. 

Maybe standards are good, pride and mindful of appearances is good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: May 10, 2017, 09:13:13 AM
Back to watches, this reminds me of the discussions on what is a dress watch, these days...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: May 10, 2017, 12:56:15 PM
That's the point. You deserve to carry it.
Exactly, why care if someone buys faux-dirt-pants? It does not affect your life at all...
Although I wonder if you could spot it in real life :think:, I mean in pictures it looks pretty darn realistic, design wise I can only give :tu:.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: May 10, 2017, 12:59:16 PM
Can I get into pubs after 6 with fake mud?

"Sorry mate, dress code after 6 - no work wear or singlets"

"Ah my good sir! I think you'll find this is DESIGNER mud! Quite acceptable! Please show me to the bistro!"
That is a pretty funny image you paint there...

GETTING WAY OFF TRACK HERE: Jeans were designed as workwear (half a set of overalls....), so having them as fashion AT ALL is feeding into young love who waited until 2002 to work out a word for "blue collar chic", and were made popular by (guessing here) James Dean? and gang culture and USA pop movies of the (50s? 60s?)
Yeah, its not a new idea and like all the ideas it repeats itself. Torn jeans were popular what, 25years ago?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 01:01:36 PM
I would like to add, I go to work in hiking/trekking attire every day. Working in an office, I'm sure some people find that strange.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #57 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:48 PM
I just bought these motorcycle sneakers:

The come pre-stained, or with a worn look. It's my second pair. I Would recommend.
But that jeans in the OP, I would not think of ever buying.  :facepalm:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #58 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:46 PM
I just bought these motorcycle sneakers:
(Image removed from quote.)
The come pre-stained, or with a worn look. It's my second pair. I Would recommend.
But that jeans in the OP, I would not think of ever buying.  :facepalm:

Sneakers on a motorcycle? You gotta be joking. Safety first, wear thick leather boots! I always did, and am glad for doing so, would have lost my left foot otherwise.

BTW are these by Dainese?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:06:40 PM by Ronald Schröder »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #59 on: May 11, 2017, 11:43:20 PM
posers, with their fancy Swiss army knives and multitools... As if a cheap knife and some cheap pliers are not good enough for them.....

I see where you're getting at but I think the SAK/MT analogy is unforunate: except for some exclusive/extra bling/or yes-even-the-kitchen-sink models, SAKs are usually more or less affordable and provide excellent value for money. They also have more than just one function (even if it's just a blade, it can double as a mirror 8)) As for MTs, they have something inherently redneckian. The silly pants in question, that cost quite a lot, only fulfil one function, supposedly making the person wearing them look cool -and not redneckian. Washing them a few times will do this function away :shrug:

As for cheap pliers; cheap is a function of cost per derived use. Decent pliers don't have to cost a lot of money but I expect nothing good from a €5 pair of pliers. Good knives don't have to cost an arm and a leg either but it all depends on the intended use.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:45:13 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00