Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EU General Data Protection Regulation coming into force tomorrow 25/5/18

dks · 23 · 1933

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
In case some have been wondering why they are suddenly being asked through email or SMS to give permision to continue reeiving ads,

seing that the official ebsite is down..   ::)   . here is some infromation from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

"It becomes enforceable on 25 May 2018.Because the GDPR is a regulation, not a directive, it does not require national governments to pass any enabling legislation and is directly binding and applicable..

A processor of personal data must clearly disclose what data is being collected and how, why it is being processed, how long it is being retained, and if it is being shared with any third-parties. Users have the right to request a portable copy of the data collected by a processor in a common format, and the right to have their data erased under certain circumstances."

Official site, currently down : https://www.eugdpr.org/

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Is that why we've been getting a thousand emails a day about this? I'm not sure that the spam wasn't better. :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Yep, everyone spamming you asking for your permission to keep spamming you

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!

Which is why I took the opportunity to unsubscribe from as many as possible   :D
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I am surprised by all the Brits showing interest in this  :)

Here is some information on the UK situation :  http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/just/document.cfm?action=display&doc_id=49245
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Kev D

Which is why I took the opportunity to unsubscribe from as many as possible   :D

Same here  :tu:

hr Offline styx

yea the e-mails started to go nuts
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club

Thing is, Google, the biggest data miner and seller of said data will require said permission for use of chrome, gmail, the search engines, etc. Probably the same with Amazon, etc. Will be in the small print somewhere that you agree to when using their services. I'm not sure this is going to help all that much.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
A few years ago Canada passed anti-spam legislation, requiring all businesses to request that the people on their contact lists please provide permission to continue sending them things.  The idiotic thing is, the local sellers are generally the people that you want to continue to send you offers, and the majority of unwanted spam is coming from Malaysia, Africa and places like that.

It was really nice of our government to hamstring Canadian businesses while allowing the offenders to just keep on trucking.   :facepalm:

In the off chance that any of you are wondering about MTO and what is going on here, I collect as little info as I can, I look at it rarely, although I do occasionally print out the forum member list and staple random pages of it to local telephone poles under a sign that says "FOR A GOOD TIME CALL."

Seriously, even if I did have any desire to sell member info (which I do not) I am quite certain that Micah wouldn't let me access it in the first place, so the email address and username you submitted when you signed up here are as safe as they can be.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
In the off chance that any of you are wondering about MTO and what is going on here, I collect as little info as I can, I look at it rarely, although I do occasionally print out the forum member list and staple random pages of it to local telephone poles under a sign that says "FOR A GOOD TIME CALL."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
I'm just in from my local WordPress Meetup about the subject.

I'm both terrified and not bothered at the same time.

Seems like an overwhelming amount of work for the little guys, some more pocket padding for lawyers, and meanwhile you still get bombarded with spam from Asia/Russia/etc.  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
How much work is it putting on you, Whoey, in regards to MTO?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
lets just say I'm way behind.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Well, in any case, I feel my data is safe with you. :D :tu:

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
The bigger issue is that the whole thing seems to be put together by people who have no clue, and large parts of it are contradictory.

I believe it's intended to prevent such cambridge analytica type scandals, yet that ship has already sailed, hit an iceberg and sank. Most of the internet, while gathering data, is not doing nefarious things with it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
The bigger issue is that the whole thing seems to be put together by people who have no clue, and large parts of it are contradictory.

Snipped
Like most legislation..  :facepalm: :rofl:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Anyone else feeling like this right about now?

Def
peerivacypolicy.jpg.jpg
* peerivacypolicy.jpg.jpg (Filesize: 61.12 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Anyone else feeling like this right about now?

Def

That is so apt!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

Snipped
Like most legislation..  :facepalm: :rofl:

:D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
GDPR is quite frankly an excellent piece of legislation. We don't know how it will play out in practice yet, but the basic elements are sound. It forces companies to actually know where all the data is, which often isn't the case.

(Yes, I work in IT. Yes, I work in a trust and security oriented company. Yes, GDPR training is mandatory for us. Yes, I have worked on developing big data platforms earlier.)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
GDPR is quite frankly an excellent piece of legislation. We don't know how it will play out in practice yet, but the basic elements are sound. It forces companies to actually know where all the data is, which often isn't the case.

(Yes, I work in IT. Yes, I work in a trust and security oriented company. Yes, GDPR training is mandatory for us. Yes, I have worked on developing big data platforms earlier.)
Ideally yes, but at the present it does more harm than good

1) Many online dealer ask for way more permission to your data, just to be on the save side. Once they have that permission, it might well be that they use it for extra profit.
2) The flood of mail is a good cover for phishing mails.

While 1) is speculation, 2) is reality. We had to close several E-Mail accounts after the owner has "confirmed new conditions" without carefully checking (possibly a more severe Problem in Switzerland, as that law does not apply here unless you have an account with an EU online shop, so it was discussed less beforehand).
Ultimately, I think the larger problem is the User and how the User handles his own data. Sadly, there is no law to prevent people from posting their home address and when they will be on holidays.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:28:01 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Here is my big beef:

You need to have explicit permission for things like cookies and tracking, and you need to log that, so you are actually potentially holding on to more personally Identifiable info just for asking for permission.  :facepalm:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!

I agree.  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68