Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Snippet

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
SOG Snippet
on: April 01, 2019, 03:10:38 PM
SOG was nice enough to send me one of these for evaluation, and while I haven't used it yet, I had some initial observations, and more importantly, pictures!  :D

It's about the same size as the CrssGrip/CrossCut models that SOG used to produce, so that is promising- for those not familiar with those models, it's slightly bigger than a Micra.  Not longer, but thicker, like a Micra that has been going to the gym a lot.

It has a decent tool selection for a small tool- the usual stuff is covered with a small blade, nail file, bottle opener, screwdrivers, toothpick, tweezers etc, but the neat thing is the scissors themselves.

While most scissors on multitools are sprung, these are not.  Instead they have these arms that function like the rings on a pair of standard kitchen or sewing scissors.

This kind of makes it look like an angry squid, but it actually works quite well.  Weirder, it isn't nearly as uncomfortable as the design looks like it would be, at least not in my initial fiddling.

It also has a pocket clip, which is kind of funny because SOG has this to say about it on their site:

Not every situation warrants a large, full-featured multi-tool. Sometimes you need something that will fit on a keychain, or even disappear into your pocket. For times like that, we have Snippet. A tool designed to help with quick fixes, while not taking up too much space. Ultra-compact, Snippet is equally at home on a keychain, in the car or in a purse. Equipped with SOG-sharp scissors — with finger loops for precision — Snippet gives you situation-readiness in something smaller than the palm of your hand.

I thought the pocket clip was to avoid that?  :D

All of the tools were easily accessible, although the toothpick and tweezers only came out easily because of tool clumping- but as that is typical for SOG it really isn't a negative.  There is a plastic nub with jimping that should make them easier to access, but it's a bit tight at the moment.  Hopefully it will loosen up a bit over time as the scissor arms don't give you a lot of space or leverage to get at them.

So what don't I like about it, at least initially?  Well, it seems a bit flimsy.  Yes, I know it is a keychain sized tool, and one shouldn't be putting a lot of pressure on scissors, so all in all it doesn't have to be built like a brick smurfhouse.  Still, it feels as if the sheet metal is a bit thin, or that the edges aren't properly finished, although looking closely at it, I can't really see any indication of this- it is no thinner or less finished than any other tool in this class.

Maybe I am just overthinking it- I usually expect SOG products to be overbuilt, but this one just doesn't feel hefty enough to me, and I think that has a lot to do with it.  It is WAY lighter than you think it is, and lighter than you think it should be.  That's not a bad think, especially in a keychain tool, so we will have to see how it works out under some actual use.

All in all I am looking forward to playing with this one for a bit.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: SOG Snippet
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 03:20:34 PM
Looks interesting  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:32:26 PM
This kind of makes it look like an angry squid,

:rofl:

Let's hope your concerns on the flimsiness are unwarranted, and SOG has finally produced a new multitool worth carrying :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:32:55 PM
Different look. :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:59:44 PM
Really interested in hearing how the scissors CUT.  The only SOG that I own is a Crosscut, and I'm disappointed in the scissors.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD